1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT English Setters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by birdogs, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

So far I see Setterrman,esetters and myself on this site. I assume that we are all English Setter lovers. Are there any others who are afflicted with this disease? Where are you located? How many Setters do you have? What is your dogs' lineage? What do you hunt?

I presently have 2 Setters both out of Texas. One big 4 year ols male and a small female pup about 1 year old. Though from different breeders the dogs are closely related with the dam of the pup being the littermate of the male.

I live and hunt in New Jersey and shoot Pheasant,Quail and a few Chukar. We have a large hunting property which we stock every weekend. My dogs see a lot of game every week. I do travel with then to hunt other places such as upstate New York for Grouse but they are so used to ranging wide for Quail that Grouse hunting in thickets is more difficult for them and me.

I have some great pictures but still can't figure out photobucket so I can't include them here.

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I used to breed and raise setters here in northern New Jersey. They were all small, orange aand white, and hunted close. As our area developed and the local hunting grounds evaporated, we gave it up. I sure do miss them.

Ed Yanchok

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Hi Ed,

We know each other since you have done work on several of my guns. I didn't realize that you hunted. I would like to invite you to be my guest at a hunt next season. I will surely see you over the Summe. We will make arrangements.

On April 27 we are holding our Game Dinner at the Arts Center on the Garden State Parkway. Let me know if you can attend.

Tony C

4. esetter

esetter Active Member

I raise setters and hunt grouse. Just had a litter and the pups are now gone with the exception of the three that I kept. I have five right now and they are big going grouse dogs that don't stay under your feet. Here is a picture of my all time favorite that just died this past year from a stroke at age 11. She was 10 when this picture was taken and two weeks before she died she hunted all day and we killed a limit of grouse over her in Ohio.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

esetter,

I'm sorry you lost your pal. We all know how much that hurts. After many years and a lot of dogs I still remember each and every one of them.

I notice the beeper collar which is a must in most Grouse cover. I use one because I hunt in open woods and the dogs frequently get out of sight among the trees. My dogs are probably bigger going than you would like in most Grouse country. In fields and open woods they are fine but still range quite far.

When I was looking for my new female, I called quite a few people including Inez Smith, Harold Ray and other kennels all over the country before lucking into a litter in Texas. The breeder had obtained the littermate to my male and had bred her to his Region 9 winner. He had not yet told anyone about the pups so I had first choice. I told him what I wanted and he picked what he called the runt of the litter. I couldn't be happier. She is just great!

I did a bit of yard training before taking into the field and she did just great. I took her out of the field before the season ended so I could finish her training. She points with a 12 o'clock tail and will hold a point until I get there. She will allow me to flush the bird and will not move until the bird is airborne. I have been told I should field trial her but what I don't need is another hobby.

Shoot well and good luck with the pups.

6. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

My wife and I have enjoyed both Brittanies and Setters.
    We currently have 2 Setters....one female aged 12 and one male aged 2 !!
    The female is retired and enjoying it.
    The young fellow hunts grouse and woodcock in Canada and Vermont.We live close to the Vermont border, but on the wrong side!!
    We are planning to take him to Montana and Saskatchewan this fall for pheasants and hungarian partridge.
    His sire is Long Gone George with Diablo Ace on both sides.
    Good Luck to all,
    Pete Giddings-Canada

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I've owned Irish Setters for almost 30 years (24 dogs + or -) so when my wife talked me into an English Setter (just for a change of pace) I guess I had a few new things to learn. We got the pup from a breeder in North Carolina. Can't remember his name but a nice guy. 24 hours after we got her home we knew she was in trouble...very sick. The vet confirmed my worst fears of Parvo. After 6 days in doggie hospital we were able to bring her home and love her back to the healthy little 5h1t that she is today. She's such a wonderful dog, I couldn't be more pleased with her demeanor. Even though I haven't hunted in years (not many quail in my part of Ohio any more) she'll point just about any bird she sees so I know she has it in her. She loves to harass my 5 yr. old Irish and she just puts up with it. Her name is Lilly and she is a bit small. I don't know if it is from the parvo or maybe she was just the runt. She can out run Maggie (the Irish) since she was just over 1 yr. She'll turn 2 in May. I'll try to post some pics of both of them tonight when I get back into the house. She really has dug a place into my heart and just like the Irish is a part of the family, a very ornery part. The one thing I'm not used to with the English is she sheds 5 times more than my Irish. Do all English do this?? Will post later.

A half converted English owner,

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Three English Setters, Lord Bang, Prince and Intrepid Trigger all one at a time and Trigger has been gone for sometime. The new leash laws have ruined dog ownership for me. Trigger had a bad habit of running and barking so my wife invested in an electric dog collar which he decided was activated by running, not barking. Hence he walked everywhere to avoid the jolt. One day someone stole the device and he was able to run (and bark) again. Dog ownership is a mixed blessing for us city folks.

9. oldcop

oldcop Member

Two English Setters, Katie and Cappy (tri-colors), from a breeder in Alvord, Texas. 3 1/2 and 4 years old (same sire). They are successors to Brittany (my wife liked the name), an orange and white Belton we lost to Cushing's Disease in '03. The Setters are incredible family dogs, as you who own them know. Unfortunately, my back problems doomed them to a life of leisure and couch potatoism, but they think running the Mallards out of my swimming pool is hunting.

Jim

10. RENOSTEVE

RENOSTEVE Member

Female Llewellin, my chukar hunting buddy. Hails from Indiana, white with brown and orange ticking. Sweet with as good a demeanor as they come. Loves to hunt the nasty stuff and an above average nose. Steve

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

One Ryman Setter, Tucker (cause he came from Kentucky), Lost my other, Harley, to a car 4 years ago. In NW Ohio, Our birds are nearly non existant, but we run up to Michigan to hunt grouse and pheasants, and NE Indiana has some wild birds, but getting permission is tough. We have 17 acres of registered training ground, so they get on a lot of birds. Were "the local pointer training ground" for all the pointer guys around here. My son has 2 Drahthaars and I now have a pup as well. We try to do alot of duck and goose hunting and they are excellant for both pointing and retrieving.

The setters are far more personable, but the Drahts have the drive. Dove Commander is Setterman's wife.

12. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

This is Setterman. We call her "dove commander" because of her ability to command us around here, and her recipe for dove on the grill is out of site!

13. DblAdb

DblAdb TS Member

BEWARE of buying setters from an "unknown" breeding. Last year I bought two females through this forum, one was OK but the other was a dink. The dog had hip problems and no hunt in her. I visited a quality breeder and picked out a great male (Mac) to fill a nitch of setters we have had for 18 years. We hunt the AZ quail with occasional trips north for pheasant. Mike

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Double Adobe,

Don't those desert Quail run a lot? I was invited to an Arizona Quail hunt a couple of years ago by a friend. We were to hunt with Guy Coheleach, the famous wildlife artist. I asked whose dogs we were using and was told that we wouldn't use dogs because there were too many snakes. Since they know that I hate snakes, I always wondered if that was true or if they were just uninviting me.

Tony C

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Tony C. , I'm moving to AZ. in a few weeks and plan on getting another bird dog once there if snakes aren't a major problem. Hap

16. DanR

DanR TS Member

Dove Commander,

I live in SW Ohio (just 12 miles north of Vandalia). We don't have any birds at all in Miami County. I had heard that that Northwest Ohio - especially Williams County - was one of the better places to hunt pheasants in Ohio. I have been trying to find access to some farm land up that way. Is that just a waste of time?

BTW, my dog is a Brit. The link above is to a picture of my Rusty. As soon as I start getting the gear (boots, vests, guns, shells, coolers, etc.) out to pack in the SUV, he stays right on my heels until I lift the gate and he jumps in. He loves to hunt. I'm sure he hates trapshooting because I pack much of the same stuff in the SUV, he follows me around, and then I trick with a treat and leave without him.

- Dan R.

17. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I have setters and pointers. Raise both although a softer spot for the setters. There is nothing like running your hand over the softest hair covering one of the softest hearts in the canine world today.

I also have a male left over from past litter for anyone looking for a great companion. He ended up with a cycle tail and the trialers don't want him. Will make a great little pal and you could hunt him if you want. No papers included, but out of Tekoa Mountain Outrage X Tekoa Mountain Niquel. He is black and white and is 6 months old.

18. DblAdb

DblAdb TS Member

Tony C, the cover and conditions vary a lot by elevation and rainfall recieved. The scalies are noted as runners but a good hatch of young birds and some grass will change things, it is not the best to run young dogs on skinny seasons as frustration will start bad habits (false points etc). To hunt without a dog is just wrong. I enjoy the eastern paranoid attitude about snakes, first freeze in November usually no problem till April,we are a little higher in elevation than the desert parts north of us. We snake train with e-collars on high and a dead snake, worked so far. I did buy a homopathic snake kit from a local dealer, so I guess just a little paronoid myself! Mike

19. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Dan, Getting access to hunt isn't easy. If not for 2 friends from Williams County, I would struggle to find a place to hunt, and then it can be spotty. Some years are better than others depending on where you hunt. Almost all the ground is tied up by relatives or guys that been hunting the area for 30 years.

There are a couple Public Areas to hunt, but they get hit pretty hard.

To keep the dogs in shape, we hit the bird clubs around here, but we prefer not to hunt "Sissy birds" as they call them around here. That's why we started w/ Drahts. We do have some decent duck and goose hunting up here and they are perfect for that. I love to duck hunt as well.

20. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

OK finally got my camera/pictures and my act together. Here are a few pics of my English, a just shy of 2 yr. old female and my 5 yr. old Isish. Lilly and McKenzie. They are a riot and good dogs. Lilly has hunting blood in her but the red one is more show breeding. Both love the runs in the woods. Noses to the ground and off they go! Great companions and great with the boys.

Edited for name.
    JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.