1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT engine light on OT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shotgunbutch, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I didn't tighten the gas cap on my 2003 Chrysler mini van. How do I turn off the engine light.

Arnie

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It will go off by itself after driving the car a given distance with the cap tightened. There is a pump that evacuates the vapors from the fuel tank and if it can't form a vacuum due to leak (loose cap seal, for example), the MIL comes on. Once that pump runs a few times without experiencing a leak, the PCM will extinguish the light.

Ed

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

turn key on, pump accelerator three times, turn key off, then start, it should go out. Otherwise it will happen as averageed says

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mine won't go out at all (also a gas cap problem). I just put electrical tape over the panel where the light is.

HM

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Just take the battery cable off for a few seconds and pit it back on

Now if you have a theft prevention built into your radio it will lock your radio and also remove your stations from memory. You will have to put your code in and reset your stations. They make a 9 volt adapter that plugs into the lighter to keep this from happening.

If there is another problem the light will come back on and you will need to repair the problem. Ray

6. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Thanks for the replies.

Arnie

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I had the same issue with my folks 99 chrysler van a few weeks ago, find an OBDII code tester and clear the code, theirs was on for a week after the cap was put back on....wouldn't go off on its own....

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Go to your nearby Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts store and they will clear it for you. With their OBDll code reader.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Disconnect the negative battery cable leave it off for a minute or so and then reconnect that will do it.

10. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I disconnected the battery and got the light out. The light did stay off after driving the van around today.

Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to tighten the cap down after this.

Arnie

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

My wife's Gr. Cherokee does the same thing. If you fill it completely, and don't check the cap at least once before it's empty, the light will come on. It's a typical Chrysler BS problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.