1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- Elizabeth Edwards fights Global Warming

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DJM, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJM

DJM Member

I'm trying to decide if this says more about her, or the audience she is trying to reach. The problem for us if Al Gore & company are right on global warming is that we will not fix it by making symbolic gestures like this or using different light bulbs. It will take radical changes in our lifestyle to make any real difference. Like giving up our cars and suburban homes.
    But then enviromentalism is as much or more about feeling good than doing good. Don M.

2. Bernie

Bernie TS Member

Will if help if I give up my jet, Hummer, and yacht then move into a cave?

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If we're in a global warming pattern, how did our capitol manage to set a record low temperature Tuesday night?

4. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

global warming "pattern" means an average...not a record. Weather patterns are changing, no doubt about that. I was used to 4ft of snow in ohio every winter...ice storms. I believe they barely get much snow any more

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Got a reference for that? I'd like to pass it along.

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

revsublime

Yea like the 18" of snow in one day last year?

We are also the cause of all the other planets in our solar system warming also.

Then again it just might have something to do with all the solar flares on the sun's surface. WE caused that too.

Rock

Jim

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Yep, the martian polar ice caps have been shrinking for a while now. I think its due to Al Gore flapping his gums. He invented global warming you know.

8. Bob M

Bob M Member

I find it interesting that the latest warm-up is blamed on the Republican industrialists. The one back in the 1850's gets blamed on the industrial revolution. Nobody has been able to pin the one in the 1300's on Republicans or industry yet...

I loved it when the study came out that blamed Canadian Pine forests for being be major contributors to global warming. Dark green absorbing sunlight. Nobody held a concert to raise money to go cut the trees down...

9. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

the rock....ohio used to get 18" in one day...SEVERAL days during the winter. not so much any more. and that's coming from my grandparents...85 year residents of Ohio.

10. smartass

smartass TS Member

Well that proves it, there is definitely global warming in Ohio since sub's granny says it's true.

11. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

As I look at the strata in the rock formations on cliffs or excavated rock along highways, I am always struck by the dramatic changes in the layers of the rock...did the cavemen cause these? "They" say that a giant lake covered most of the midwest at one time...who caused it to dry up? Could it be that the "global warming" is part of a climate cycle? But the price of shot is really going to put a crimp in how many trap targets I can shoot at in the immediate future. Best Regards, Ed

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Global warming is all about money, Your tax money.

Jim

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Lear Jet Liberals know better than us common folk what needs to be done. They will tell us and we will obey.

Yup.

HM

14. Msuhunter

Msuhunter Member

If she wants to reduce global warming then she needs to stop talking some much. Too much hot air.

15. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

anyone that denies global warming is denying that most scientists know what they're talking about.

as to whether or not we cause it...that's still up for grabs. But there is no doubt in any true scientists mind that this planet goes thru periods of global warming...and we are in one now.

Wonder how many ice storms ohio had this last winter? I remember a big one ever winter when i lived there.

16. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

"anyone that denies global warming is denying that most scientists know what they're talking about."

Ask 100 evolutionist scientists how we got here. You will get 100 different explanations. Scientists can't agree on anything! And they "know what they're talking about."????? Not!!

Ask the people of Russia and Siberia who experienced record cold in January '06 what they think of global warming.

17. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

once again...record colds have nothing to do with anything. Look at the mean temperature for that region. Compare size of the polar ice caps vs. 20 years ago. Compare ocean levels. Compare ocean temps.

the evidence is there...

but I reiterate...no one can say exactly "why".

18. Bob M

Bob M Member

A few statements:

1. The most fundamental statement in science is, 'I don't know'.

We do not know for sure if we are dealing with global warming, sunspot cycles, or 'normal' climate cycles. The scientists who are trained to deal with climate studies can't agree how to take the temperature of the planet. It ain't like we can jam a thermometer someplace. Any climate events or change that happens over a human lifetime is small compared with geologic time. Cold winters and/or hot summers 'back in the the day' are almost meaningless compared with geologic time. I am not saying it was not cold back in the winter of 19-whatever, but these are relatively isolated events.

If you go to your state shoot and break a 200 straight, great for you!!! You could be an awesome shooter who has worked hard and been blessed with nerves of steel and the eyes of a hawk. You also may have just managed to be 'in the zone' that day. The 'blind hog finding an acorn now and then' effect is also a possibility. Without years of data about your shooting performance, the 200 straight might be an aberration or it might not.
    WE DON'T KNOW.

2. Interpreting data.
    It scares me when anyone looks at data and sees what they interpret as a trend and starts making predictions based on a narrow window of this data. Grabbing two points, drawing a line through them and projecting 50 or 100 years in the future is foolish. Every relationship ain't linear. If it was, I should have a 97% singles average next year, 98.5% in 09, and 101% in 2010. No need for shoot-offs, I will be breaking an average of 101 birds out of 100. Harlan, Phil, Kay, and Leo will be defeated at every shoot if my scores continue to increase linearly. They are safe for two reasons: the increase isn't going to be linear and I found some acorns this year.

3. Non scientists and scientific things
    When you hear anyone preaching global warming, find out what they do for a living. If they are not a seasoned meteorologist, grab your wallet and run!!! Listening to Al, Elizabeth, or anyone not working in the field of climate studies is like asking shooting advice from someone at the gun club who has a 20% lower average than you. They may have good intentions and some insights, but if you want good advice, go to a good shooter, AA27AA or so and ask them what they think. I wouldn't ask the seasoned meteorologist for shooting advice unless he or she was a good shooter. An advanced degree doesn't mean that they are smart about everything, just that they are good at one thing.

I'm done with the rant now...

Man, lead shot is expensive!!!

19. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

thanks for the input flincher. I've got family up there in amherst/loraine area.

and excellent points Bob M.

20. Bob M

Bob M Member

Rev,

There is an old Physical Chemistry joke that I always think of when I hear about global warming.

"If you want a linear relationship, only plot two points"

I do think that the efficient use of resources is a good idea, but the leftist stance on it really feels like the tail is wagging the dog. Tangerines for God's sake!! If global warming is happening, not eating tangerines is shoveling sh@# against the tide, to use one of Dad's sayings.

The true environmental movement was hijacked years ago by liberals and they are more concerned about being anti-republican and anti-industry than they are being pro environment.

You know, lead dropped in price 15% last week on the LME. That means in a few weeks, they will be paying us to take the shot from them. (If the trend is linear and continues.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.