1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Electrical help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Dougbbbb, Jul 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hello

I have a tandem 20amp breaker with the white wire to the bottom and black wire to the top. Is this a 220v or 115v setup

Thanks

Doug

dougbbbb_2010_1606257.jpg

dougbbbb_2010_1606258.jpg

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That should be 220 as both legs are on the breaker. 120 would only have a single leg(blk).

3. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Correct that is a two pole ( 220 ) volt breaker

4. Dougbbbb

Thank you!

5. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Is the red wire part of the same cable?

Charlie

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

That is not a 220v breaker-both handles are on the same leg--is two 120v single pole breakers tied together, if they are sharing a common neutral, the installation is against code.

Phil Berkowitz

7. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Phil, that is what I thought. I am still worried about the red wire below that pair, it looks like it is part of the same cable.

Charlie

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Red and black wires on breaker below (220v) appear to be of a larger guage probably 10 ga. The two breakers above seem to have a smaller guage wire probably 12 or 14ga and would not likely be part of the same cable as the red black pair. Take a real close look.

Bob

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

It appears the red & black are on a 2 pole--240v breaker--most likely a dryer hook up.

Phil Berkowitz

10. Dougbbbb

The red is not part of the same cable. The 20 amp breaker with the white /black feeds a pool pump.

Doug

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The circuit in question is 2 pole or 240 volt, it looks like a a GE box and they made two different breakers that would fit, one was thin, the other was thick

It made it possible to install more circuits if you ran out, the reason the levers are hooked together is if one leg trips it trips both

Got 6 of them on the farm

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The white & the black are on a twin or a tandem breaker---there will not be 240 v between the whit & black wire---they are on the same side of a single pase leg.

Phil Berkowitz

13. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Ok, I see the double pole breaker at the bottom of the picture. I was fooled by the routing of the red wire.

Charlie

14. Dougbbbb

Wire guy

Ok. So now I'm more confused than ever. Is this circuit pushing 220 or not.

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The only wat to be 100% certain is to measure the voltage across the two wires with a V/Ohm meter.

I went to the basement and looked in a box of odd breakers and sure enough I found some single breaker sized ganged sets that are in fact 220 ganged breaker sets. One is by Stab-Lok (yeah, I know - they start fires) and the other I do not recognize, but both will set into their appropriate panels and pull 220V even though they are half-height breakers - go figure.

If you measure across the two wires with a volt meter you will get either 220V (draws power from both hot legs in the panel) or 0V (drawing from the same hot leg in the panel). Be careful measuring, even if the voltage is 0 that's across the two wires - doesn't mean across one wire and you will also be 0 volts...

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

A test meter can be your friend. Sure looks like a 220 to me but I'm not an electrician. I suspect with a handle like "Wireguy" that he is. I would in turn take his advice although if it were my house, I'd have grabbed my meter and checked it out myself.

It's always a good idea to know what all your breakers are for and what voltage they are. At least in my opinion anyway.

Just Say'n.....

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

OK, I think someone pointed out the possibility of that one oddball I think GE breaker that could be hitting both poles. It looks like there is a tie bar between the two handles so this may be exactly that breaker, in which case there is 240 across the two poles. Man I hate those breakers. I've seen so many of the burn out on the buss bar. It may be driving something like a pool pump motor that is 240 only.

18. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

They do make double single pole breakers with tie bars - two 120 V circuits tied together. BUT, you would expect to see two black wires (black & red?) set into it, not the white and black in the photo.

These breakers would be used for a tied together system. Think a blower/air handler and a furnace burner as an example. the idea is if one trips (say the blower) it takes the other with it (the burner) - a very good thing if you think about it.

With this in mind, the only way to be sure is to measure the voltage across the two feeds.

If it is 220 V it makes sense for a pool pump.

If it is 0 V (meaning two lines being fed from the same 120 V leg) then there are some questions to ask...

You will need to trace those wires back to where they enter the panel - are they coming from the same cable?? Are there two different cables?? How many wires (and types) in each cable involved in this circuit.

At the pool end can you find the ends of these cables? Where do they go????

19. Dougbbbb

Yes it's an old ge breaker and it is driving a pool pump. I just wanted to make sure to change the setting on the new pool motor from 115 to 220. Either way I'll get a voltage meter later tonight. Thanks for all the replys.

Doug

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

About that voltage meter. One Doug to another, buy a cheap analogue, not a cheap digital. On ac work a digital will lie to you. I have actually measured 120 volts across a multi-wire cable that the entire cable was laying out on the lawn attached to nothing. This was with two different digitals owned by two different electricians. The internal resistance of an analogue cuts out voltages which have no current attendant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.