1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Electrical Help Please!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Catpower, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The G goes to ground, the W to the Neutral or white and the other two are 120 volt L1 and L2

2. Catpower

The generator puts out 230, the G is the ground the W is the neutral and the X is one leg of the 230, 115 volts and the Y is the other leg of the 230, 115 volts

Most 230 volt plugs just have a ground and two 115 volt legs, the plug they use on a genset and other things also has the neutral for redundancy in case the ground breaks or comes loose

Just put the ground wire (green) on you cord in the G slot, the white in the W and the black in X or Y

But make sure you don't have more that half the genset rating for a load in the shed IE if the genset is rated for 5000 watts don't have more that a 2500 watt or 20 amp load on it

You should always try to balance the load if you can it makes it easier on the generator

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

You have 110v male (3prong plug) which is connected to a molded 3 wire SO cord meant for 110 volts and you want to put on a recept. Female plug meant for 30 amps. Cat power, is right on how to wire it, however, you never mentioned what your running. If the shed has this kind of recept., it most likely is wired for 220v. No Problem as far as running lights and recept. You still need to be concerned with the length of wire and the gauge wire you have. Rule of thumb: 15amps/14gauge,
    20amps/12 gauge, 30amps/10 gauge. Keep in mind if its a long run you should bump the wire size up. Hope it didn't complicate matters. Be Safe!

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Simple a 4 wire plug should be wired as follows: w---white=neutral, g- ground green the other two brass connections are the hot 120v lines.

Phil Berkowitz

5. alf174

alf174 Member

You best have a volt meter on hand if you don't already have one.

6. Catpower

If the genset only puts out 115 you will have to trial and error to see which one is hot X or Y, but if it is 230 it makes no difference

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Sounds like your good to go

8. Catpower

I hate those 4 wire outlets, it seems they make a million different ones and if I had 999,999 of them I wouldn't have the right one

9. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Opps! Here's the monkey wrench flying into your shed! Don't know how your shed is wired with out seeing it but there is a possibility that since this shed has a 220v recept. & not knowing its history. It could be split on the voltage circuit at the plug. Meaning it could be two circuits of 110. If you have lights and no receptacles or vice versa, you'll know why

10. ricm51

ricm51 TS Member

Go to yor local hardware store or RV supply store and purchase a 30A to 15A adapter

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have an outlet that looks like the photo. What is this? Can I change the recepticle to a normal plug in. I took the cover off and it only has a white, a ground and a black wire so it should be 110 ?? I just put a meter on it and it goes up to 220???
    cubancigar2000_2008_0303729.jpg

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Lou, thats a 20 amp, 250 volt, NEMA 6-20R. Probably used for an old heater or air-conditioner at one time.

Wayne

13. cubancigar2000

so is there any way I can convert that outlet to a standard 110

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Pull the white wire off the circuit breaker and place it on the buss bar that has the other white wires on it. This may include or exclude bare or green ground wires. Put the black wire on a single pole 20 amp circuit breaker. Replace the NEMA 250 volt outlet with a standard combination 15/20 amp 125 volt duplex receptacle, black wire to dark screw, white wire to light colored screw, bare or green to the hex head ground screw. Do wear safety glasses while you are in that panel in case you decide to do some arc welding in there. Not that I ever have, that's just a generic warning.

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Good one wire guy, arc welding. You forgot the rubber gloves, and the diaper. LOL

Seen that last week at the neighbors. We were resetting the well pump pressure. I offered to shut the breaker off, but he said no, no, I won't touch those exposed contacts. Famous last words before the fireworks blew up over the boxes stored in the corner, next to the pressure switch. LOL

Could shut the main off if you are really not sure. Pain to reset all the clocks, and timers though, and the family waiting patiently.

16. cubancigar2000

Problem solved, thx to all who posted advice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.