1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/Elect motor or furnace failure

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TC, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

Need some help, furnace motor is not coming on. How can I determine if it is the motor or something else? Burner lights but fan doesn't come on and burner doesn't shut off. Older Bryant propane furnace. Tony

2. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

The burner will light. The heat chamber will heat up until it reaches a temp and the limit switch will turn the blower on. If the blower fails to come on then an upper limit switch shuts the burner system down. If the burner is still burning then you might not be up to temp for the switch yet.

With the filter door off you should be able to hear if the motor is trying to turn. Before you call for heat turn the motor by hand to make sure the motor will turn. If the motor turns the let the system reach temp. If the system shuts down after it gets hot and there is no blower. CALL FOR PROFESSIONAL HELP

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

In cases like this I ask myself the deciding question:

"What's the worst thing that can happen if I pay to get this fixed right - and what's the worst thing that can happen if I don't?"

Neil

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Neil, good. Electricity is your friend. If your friend is sick you call a doctor for him. If you're not a doctor don't try an appendectomy.

HM

5. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

Sounds like it`s the fan control switch . As was said above , the furnace has to get up to the set temperature then the switch tells the motor to start . If it doesn`t go on the temperature will rise to the high limit setting and shut the propane off as a safety .

6. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

There is a safety switch on the blower compartment door, make sure the door is on properly, if you have central AC try swithing your thermostat fan switch to on. With the front panel removed, you should be able to see the fan limit switch, it is usually a rectangular box silver in color, there might be a manual on pull button on it. Some units did not have a fan limit "switch" but used snap disk or klix-on switches for these purposes. If you have an owners manual these should be pointed out in it.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You probably should listen to Mr Winston, because unless your furnace is REAL and I mean REAL old, the fan was controlled by a circuit board in the blower compartment, if older than that it was controlled by a combination fan and limit, that had a pre heater on the bi metal to assist in warming it up. A bryant is the same thing as a Carrier. They started putting circuit boards in them in mid '70's, so your unit is at least 30 years old, it's race has probably been run, and you don't want to find out the heat exchanger has a leak in it the hard way (by having someone not wake up!)

8. TC

TC TS Member

I was hopeing someone could tell me how I could check the motor without powering up the furnace. Tony

9. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

Sounds like your not electricly capable to do this yourself otherwise it would have been fixed . Call a service man . I still think it`s the fan limit switch

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I've had lots of problems with limit switches on my furnace. It's a good bet.

11. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

My bet is that the Essential Smoke has escaped.

Anybody who owned a British sports car in the 60s/70s remembers Lucas electrics. Any failure of any Lucas electic component was immediately preceded by the wholesale escape of the Essential Smoke contained inside the part. Once the smoke got out, the part never worked again and it couldn't be re-filled.

Check your Smoke level.

Morgan

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ah yes, the magic gray smoke is also found in computer chips and the like. It is what keeps them running. Once it gets out, all is lost.

13. Bullheaded on SKB

Bullheaded on SKB TS Member

Recently, when the furnace reaches its set temperature the blower keeps going on and then off about every 15 seconds. One guy told me it might be the motherboard giving bad signal to the furnace? Being on a fixed income anyone have an idea what this motherboard repalcement might cost?

Chet

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

note that chatbrat recommended to take the belt off the motor before turning it by hand. Some people who did not do this no longer have 10 fingers.

Pat Ireland

15. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Chet, I have the same exact thing going on with my furnace. It's a pain an I need to get it fixed. Last time I had those professionals out their it cost me an arm and a leg.

Rick

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, once the smoke is gone they do not work any more.

Can you imagine being an astronaut, all strapped in and ready to go when you spot the "Electrics By Lucas" badge on the panel?

Mash the link for hilarious stuff.

HM

17. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

everyones talking about a fan belt. Does it have one? most fans are direct dive now no belt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.