1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Dyed Diesel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deadelk, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadelk

deadelk Member

Other than the color and price what is the difference between regular diesel fuel and off road dyed diesel?

2. notarget

notarget TS Member

The Road tax.

3. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

And a huge fine if caught using it on the road..

4. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

The dyed diesel is considered off the road and contains sulfur as in previous to the ultra low diesel that is sold now. It is not taxed therefore the fine if you get caught driving with it. Jim W

5. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

The dyed diesel is considered off the road and contains sulfur as in previous to the ultra low diesel that is sold now. It is not taxed therefore the fine if you get caught driving with it. Jim W

6. crew

crew TS Member

Use to be higher in sulfer but Iam not sure now they may just put dye in it. I live in Wash. state and we don't pay road tax or sales tax on Red fuel for farm use and it was 4.05 last friday,I got fuel again today but didn't see if it was up again.

7. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

It can vary from location to location, but the dyed (farm) diesel where I buy from is Low Sulfur. Most of the road diesel now is Ultra Low Sulfur which is required in the newest diesel engines.

8. deadelk

deadelk Member

Do you know anyone who has actually been caught using off road?

9. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Friend of mine, owner of local tree nursery was caught about 3 years ago.
    They went thru fuel receipts for his business, and when all was done, he was about $40k lighter in the wallet. His truck had NEVER had taxed diesel in the tank, and had over 60,000 miles on it.

PG

10. crew

crew TS Member

Every time Ive been stopped with a big truck they check the fuel. A year ago going to a football game they were there checking all the buses . Ive heard they also hit the livestock yard pickups at times. I know of one farmer getting a big fine on his silage truck he had a farm license and probably thought he was OK. One guy I know they made him crack an injector. This is in Wash. Wayne

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

No farmer would even consider doing such a thing...would they??

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I wonder why the inspectors didn't just check the fuel at the schrader valve instead of cracking a injector?

13. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Yes they check and fine you for using dyed diesel (off-road) in a pickup or car. It is for tractors that stay in the fields. They have been around checking Pickups and up to my fuel tanks looking. I have clear (taxed fuel) in a small storage tank for trucks etc. And large storage for tractor diesel. You will not be able to afford the fine if caught. NOT WORTH IT!! As far a the difference in the two diesels?? By now it should be all Ultra Low Sulfur. And you can sure tell it from the older diesel that has more sulfur.

WesleyB

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

There are a few people I know that run home heating fuel in their pickup trucks.

15. crew

crew TS Member

I have the same as WestlyB large tanks for off Road and a 500 for clear Road fuel. I never did run any off road in my trucks it just wasn't worth it. I think my fuel truck driver said it was all the same now except for the dye but Iam not sure and it may very across the country? Iam not planning on being very helpful cracking any injectors and looking at big trucks its not hard to see any extra tanks anyway,they just look in my tanks with a flashlight. When I was at the football game in seattle they had clear plastic tubing they stuck in the charter Busses .Wayne

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

What is upsetting is this: Those running Veggie oil or any other home brewed fuel don't pay tax. Secondly, can't a lawyer get "you off the hook" due to a couple of things: (1) Proof of putting the dyed fuel in tank is the authorities to prove; e.g. wrong fuel could have been put into the legitimate tank...and (2) "Reasonable cause"...don't "they" need a warrant to mess with one's vehicle???

Could it not be argued that: This is discriminatory; those running Veggie oil and Bio Diesel etc. are not taxed and are not fined.

Barristers out there? Yes, I've run dyed diesel in my domestic diesel on two occasions...gosh, I was tired and messed up refueling in the boonies of Utah..yes, really...I think.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

P.S. Please: What kind of heating oil and where can one buy some in the So-Cal area? Just for research purposes only...

18. WesleyB

Feds can do what ever they want. IF you have red fuel at the injector or in the stock fuel tank that come on the pickup.. you are guilty as sin. Only taked one bad apple to ruin the whole barrel.

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

There also must be some kind of organic fluid that will dye the red dye clear again...an organic acid or base. Chemists, help please? For research purposes only. It's just not fair, btw, "them damn hippie liberals" can drive Veggie powered old diesels with impunity....not fair, not nice..

20. WesleyB

Thats what i hear is the key.. old diesels. I hear the major auto makers do not want you to use any bio-fuels in the new electronic diesel engines. I would rather the hippies burn used cooking oil and not burn weed. LOL Not enuf grease in the USA to power that many diesels anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dyed diesel road check