1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT DVD software?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I bought a DVD drive for my computer. It came with Nero software. Is there anything better/friendlier/cheaper available? Nero seems like they have no end of upgrades for sale. Thanks.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It depends on what you want to do with it. Nero used to be pretty simple, but now they have this crippled version they put out with new drives. It will work for most things you want to do, but You'll need to upgrade to the full version to do most of the advanced functions. It's a decent program, but if the basic version works for you, leave it alone. There are many other programs out there, but Nero is actually one of the best, although it's a bit "Over-Featured" these days. It has a lot of stuff, but it's losing sight of what it was originally intended to do. The upgrades can usually be had for around $50 if you shop around. An older version can work great also, and the price will be much less. Instead of Version 8, look for a full copy of version 7. They all do the basics well enough.

Roxio is another over priced and bloated suite of programs. VSO has a decent suite and so do a few others. There are even some free programs, but which one to select depends on what you want to do with it.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thank you Quack Shot. I'm computer-ese challenged so a lot of this stuff I don't understand until I buy it and start using it. Given that all I want to do is video files like storing photos and photo albums with picture labels, it seems like Nero 8 is tricky to use. Maybe 7 is what I need. Thanks again.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'm still using version 6 and have no trouble with it. I have a new copy of Version 7 and 8, but the interface is pretty bloated. Even Version 7 is a little lighter. If you just want to burn files to disc, then the basic version supplied with the drive would work. It will just take a little adjustment period. If you are looking to convert music or video files to different formats, then the basic version might not get you there. Windows Media Player can do some audio and video conversions, so you may already have the functions if you know where to look.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you need to mess with copy protected stuff, go get DVD Shrink(free). It works pretty good, not cooplicated.

HM

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

DVD Shrink has not been updated in years. They went after the guy that wrote the software and forced him to close up shop. The last version is still out on the web, but it will not defeat some of the newer protection schemes. DVD Fab HD Decrypter is a newer program that is updated regularly. It's also offered in a free version that comes with or without the ability to remove copy protection. Be sure to download the correct version so you don't go afoul of the law. :) http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm There are several "Pay" versions of software that claim to be able to remove copy protection and such. I wouldn't know anything about those, other than they appear to work. Some of the forums have good reviews of them. SlySoft is one company to look at.

7. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

DVDShrink is still a useful transcoder for fitting a movie onto a DVD5. Yes, it can't deal with new protection schemes, e.g. Disney's RipGuard, or Sony/Columbia's ARccOS. Shrink can deal with at least 90% of all DVDs released, a somewhat lesser percentage of recent releases. No Matter, rip first with DVDFabDecrypter, then process the rip with DVDShrink. De-selecting unwanted audio tracks can free up space to preserve more quality, for best quality re-author movie only.

It's not really clear what you want. The above link has some programs to make DVD photo slideshows. I use PhotoDex ProShow. Memories on TV is quite good as well, while DVD slideshow GUI is free and pretty good. If what you want is a program to help you organize your photos, there are programs for that as well. For a basic CD/DVD burning program, there are adequate free ones available, like CDburnerXP. For payware Prassi Ones is really good.

Nero suffers from trying to do far too much. They try to provide so many functions, that NONE of them are nearly as good as single-function applications. That makes for bloat, obviously.

A couple examples: For DVD-Video, for instance, Nero burns non-compliant discs. Even if the disc is properly authored, with a 32k gap between IFOs and BUPS (navigation info and backups thereto), Nero runs them all together. One bad sector and you got a bum disc, as the BUPs are screwed along with the IFOs. Why the hell they do that is a mystery. Don't ever try to burn a double-layer DVD recordable with Nero, it will mess up the layer break more often than not. The one for burning DVD-Video is IMGBurn, and it's free. Nero Vision is the worst excuse for an authoring package ever, with the possible exception of Pinnacle Studio. Nero Recode, OTOH, is okay, but not superior to DVDShrink as a transcoder. BTW, the author of DVDShrink also created Recode for Nero.

Anyway, a little more information as to what you want to do would allow someone to give you more specific suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.