1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Driving while on cell phone vs DWI

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1max1molly, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1max1molly

1max1molly TS Member

Here in Wisconsin you can use a cell phone and drive a vehicle. Had a guy in a truck cross the centerline into my lane while holding and talking on a cell phone. In his other hand he held a paper which he was glancing at. His wrist sitting on top of the steering wheel. If drinking and driving does not mix how can talking on a cell phone and driving be any better? They sure throw the book at you for DWI. Fully understand and agree. Both habits impair judgement and control of vehicle. Frankly I don't see much difference. Why don't they clamp down on the problem before more people die? Why isn't the liberal Wisconsin media championing a crackdown or laws like they do about gun control, drugs and drinking and driving? Is it money?

2. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

Ya know.. I didn't like you cause of your 3200 bashing...but this post is making me like you. Maybe you're alright afterall.

In CT they made it law, no talking on a handheld phone while driving yet everyone still does it and few get pulled over and ticketed. Yesterday in my travels I saw at least 3 people holding a phone to their ear while driving, of which one of them practically ran a stop sign as they stopped half-way through it almost hitting me as I was making a turn. The day before yesterday I had an incident just like yours when a young girl came pretty much halfway over the line while on the phone and trying to do something else (not counting DRIVING!). We were only closing on each other on a state highway at a combined speed of 100mph (50 + 50..if she was even doing the limit). I try to stay calm but my volcabulary gets a workout when I find these people..

Without typing up my thesis, the conjecture was most people are too stupid to be driving, let alone multi-tasking by talking on a phone and driving at the same time.

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

The really huge issue I have noticed is when dialing or answering a phone, the driver loses all concentration about driving. I have had near head-on collisions with folks coming over the line while staring down at the steering wheel trying to dial a number.

In California it is my understanding handheld phones will be a ticketable offense in Jan of 2008. I am not 100% sure of that, but believe that is the case.

I have had both bluetooth enabled vehicles and have a Onstar phone in my Escalade right now, and while not perfect, they allow voice controls for dialing, and steering wheel controls that don't take your attention away from driving. Much better solution if you have to talk and drive.

4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Sounds like the phone was not the problem. Looking at a map or what ever instead of where in the hell he was going. In other words an idiot.

Let's ban all distractions!!! No talking, smoking, eating, drinking, radios, conversations with passengers, pets in the car, kids must be on a leash and gagged. Don't roll down the window while driving either. Sounds stupid but that is what it amounts to.

Don't be like the liberal pukes that want to ban guns because some nut uses one to commit crimes.

Rock

Jim

5. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I know you jest Rock but I would vote for all if possible. I have been run off the road and caused to take defensive actions on many occassions brcause of most things on your list. When driving that should be your number one point of consentration.

Post-2

6. smartass

smartass TS Member

It's impossible to ban distractions so let's don't even go down the big brother road.

7. grammie

grammie TS Member

You cannot legislate "behaviour"!!! DUI arrests should prove that too you!!! because people keep doing it!!!

There are black boxes in cars now,,,,they can be used against you in court,,they monitor your speed,,,they monitor your braking,,they spy on you!!

There are devices that DO NOT let the vehicle start unless you pass the breath test!!! But for some legislators that is not enough,,,they want it for "everyone" and "every car/truck",,except themselves of course!!! Like the state of Ill,,,(you must first PROVE you're not a criminal to buy a gun or ammo)!!!

Keep going,,and you shall get your wish!!! A device to monitor YOU!!!

Its bad enough were're headed for the Orwellian Lifestyle without rushing it along our ownselves!!!

Here's a novel idea,,,,,,Ban cell phones period!!!! Without causing the rest of the safe drivers out there to be punished because of MORONS!!!!!!!!

AKA Grammie.....

8. guncase

guncase TS Member

Right,,,,, the breath testers would be a great thing,,,,, except that almost ALL the bowlers that come out of the bowling center would have to arrange for a ride home!!!! In my hometown of Belleville, expecially on Wed nite when the "city fathers" bowled, they were all guilty of DWI!! Paul

9. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

people have to be made to do right.

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

people have to be made to do right.

11. 1max1molly

1max1molly TS Member

This has happen at least twice in the last year. I am leaving work and stop at a y insection to make a right hand turn. A women is making a left turn at intersection. She has a cell phone pinned to her ear with both hands on the wheel. Problem is she can't turn her head to see me with out dropping the phone. She cuts in too soon just missing my stopped vehicle by inches. Funny part is they have no idea of what just happened.

I have a cell phone. When I am driving and need to make a call I pull over. Dial and then talk. When I am finished I return to driving. Ya I know give me a big metal for being citzen of the year. The liberal state of Wisconsin with it's liberal media has pushed and created all these great laws to control other behaviors but does not address this one. Some one said drunk driving laws don't change behavior. I don't understand how that is true. I know if I drink my wife drives. If I drive she can drink.

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

AFAIK both NYC and Chicago have banned handheld phones while driving. Now if someone could figure out how to have the phones not work at all when you're driving, life would be good. I'm thinking of getting a popup sign for the rear bumper that says: "Hey Stupid, Hang Up The Phone And Drive"

Eric

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

How about talking on a cellphone with Bluetooth? I would think it would be no more distracting then talking to someone beside you.

George

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

NTSB studies have determined that there is no measurable difference in the distraction caused when using a hand held cell phone vs. a hands free one. Keep in mind also that driving a motor vehicle is a priviledge, not a right. Eminent domain don't you know.

From my years of observation, most people nowadays drive stupidly. Although, not strictly limited to these infractions....count yourself among the "most people" if you, habitually violate speed limits, tailgate (or don't know you tailgate because you don't know the legal definition of same), drink and drive, ignore traffic control devices (stop signs, etc.), change lanes without signaling (and turning on your signal after you're already halfway into the other lane is "without signaling"), think roads get narrower on curves so you take the middle of the road, use a cell phone while driving or do other things that distract your attention. JMHO.

Buz

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

EZ fix..get around in front of them and jam on the brakes for a quick second..three things happen....they piss their pants...drop the phone to grab the wheel with both hands....pull over to finish their call, telling the other person about the asshole that gave them a heartattack, but at least hanging up and telling them they will call later when they are home or off the road...works every time...

16. silverBB

silverBB TS Member

Well, the thing that makes me wonder is.........what in the name of the Lord Harry is SO damned important that one MUST talk on the phone while driving? For a good 45 to 50 years of my driving career we didn't have cell phones....and people survived!
    In case of an emergency, just what in the world are you going to do about ANYTHING as you drive down the highway at 50, 60, 70, 80? mph jabbering on your cell phone? Can you stop the fire in your kitchen? Can you stop the kid from projectile vomiting? Can you stop the neghbor's dawg from taking a dump on your lawn? There just isn't much you can do about ANY problem that is taking place elsewhere.
    Or are those on the phone so important that they can't be away from their contacts long enough to go from point 'A' to point 'B'. If that is the case we have an awfull lot of real impotent...ooops, important people driving around.
    I have a cell phone. I have no idea what the number is on it. I don't need people to call me. I take it with me when on a trip just in case something happens to delay me that might cause the family (wife) to worry, or, in case of an accident. At that time I turn it on and call, turn it off, get in the car and go by-by. No problem. Mike

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I have often wished I owned a car with a 360 degree ten inch channel iron bumper..It would make up for all the door dings and all the parking lot scrapes (never acknowledged). Just think of one of those plastic fronted junkers running into that. Only problem would be the need to wear a crash suit & helmet every time you drive. On second thought, that wouldn't be a problem...

18. bio-smoker

bio-smoker TS Member

Another problem that was not mentioned here, but (in my opinion) is equally as dangerous; is falling asleep (nodding off) at the wheel. With today's stress levels causing insomnia and the increasing obesity in our country today which has been shown to cause poor sleep quality, snoring and sleep apnea; daytime drowsiness is becoming an ever increasing problem. And all this just when we need to be even more alert than ever due to ever-increasing traffic volumes on our highways! ---RJV

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've had less problems passing a drunk than the idiot that ran into the left lane beside me Friday as I was passing him, ran me completely off the left side of the 4 lane into the grass!! After the move left into the grass to avoid a side collision, I glanced over at the driver. The old man had a damned cell phone stuck in his ear!! Had no idea of where he was on the road!! Ban the damned things!! Hap

20. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

How about billboards and signs? How distracting are they to a driver? Maybe bumperstickers are unsafe also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.