1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

(OT) Drag Racing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Diesel Smoke, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

I thought there might be some weekend warriors that go down to the local track and burn it up.

Some of you all know I'm really into diesels, but I have a secret... I like built gas motors too, and right now I'm wanting to built an odd couple, a ford ranger with a 350 or 355 in it, It will be a street/strip truck, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advise as to what kind of tire, headers, and stuff like that and even if anyone has an old ranger or maybe even an S10 they would want to get rid of,

I would also like to hear of some of the stuff you all have built/raced

Smokey

2. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Mr. Diesel,

I used to work on trucks as well noting like a long nose Pete or KW. I havent done it but I've seen several small block Chevy put in S-10's and Blazers I think that's the way I'd go as there is all kinds of kits available to make your life easier? Keep us posted

3. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am also into drag racing

http://www.northeastdragracing.com/photos/2003/dutch/stk/pages/PA102884.htm

http://photosbyjim.smugmug.com/gallery/5339490_34DCv#327330259_3xAeA-XL-LB

2 of the cars I own

4. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

The reason I was going with ranger is i've been told that the SBC will fit in a ranger easier even than an s10 plus I really am a ford guy, I just have enough parts to build 10 Chevys sittin around all I need is the block.

Smokey

5. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

P.S. Nice cars jsa

Smokey

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Plenty of engine bay in a S-10 for a small block. They already came with a 350, minus 2 cylinders, from the factory. You may have to clearance the firewall a little if you use a distributer instead of a crank trigger.

Much easier to find a S-10 in good shape that it is a a Ranger. Also upgrade suspension and brake componets are much cheaper for the S-10. The only Ford part needed is a 9".

As far as drag racing, Indianapolis Raceway Park is 3 miles due east of me.

ec90t

7. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Smoke

Thanks It is a passion of mine
    Way to much money tied up in the 2 sports I love.... Drag racing And Trap shooting.......
    The cost to drag race is way way more then trap shooting but both have rewards

8. racer

racer TS Member

I had a 86 Ranger with a 351W engine,C4 trans and 4.10 geared 9" rear end(out of early Bronco)Lots of fun for pretty cheap-excluding tires...... Dan

9. docl

docl TS Member

Smokey, I just sold my '01 Pro Truck S-10, Smith built truck(Comp Eliminator). It had a splayed valve 358 that made 990hp on VP C25 fuel(normally aspirated). I shifted a 5 speed liberty at 10,200rpm, nothing in the world sounded that good to me. I just couldn't manage it all by myself so sadly I sold it. I'm sure you've seen what it takes to run in Comp, we pulled the trans to resurface the clutch discs after 2 runs. I loved looking at the computer data after each run and trying to figure out what we should do with the clutch, launch rpm, gearing(trans and differential) etc for the next run. I will miss it. Everyone here talks about how expensive Trap shooting is but it is nothing compared to trying to run in NHRA Comp.

10. docl

docl TS Member

That should read Pro Stock Truck.

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

docl,

Man I must have been doing something wrong. I could only get about 650hp out of my 377, but then again that was 20 years ago. Lol.

The last time the tack needle reached 10,200 the track cleanup guys were less than happy with me. I emptied 8 quarts of oil all over the traps and shutdown area. After that bit of fun, the track wasn't the only thing that needed a good cleanup! Lol.

ec90t

12. docl

docl TS Member

In Pro Stock Truck currently there are 2 teams: Tom Mettler, his father and his father's twin brother from California. Greg and Chase Williams from Texas. I hope these 2 teams are able to keep the trucks represented in Comp.

13. docl

docl TS Member

ec90t, that rpm comes at a cost. We had to check the valve spring tension after every run and replace springs less than 400lbs seat pressure, we ran titanium valves to run at 10,200. A box of triple springs cost $800.00(several flats of trap shells just for cost a a box of springs). There are some now running hollow stem titanium valves but they are having reliability issues, I'm sure that will be perfected. I didn't do all the R&D to get close to 1000hp out of that little 358, it was a former engine from John Coughlin's Pro Stock Truck when Truck was a separate Pro category. In no way could I afford what was spent developing that combination. The port relocation, chamber design and welding in those heads was unbelievable craftsmanship.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Used to, back in the sixties. Recently, I've started to watch Pinks and Pass Time. Those shows and the NHRA and AHRA championships shown on the Speed channel have renewed my interest.

I still like the independent guys with no sponsoring the best. The NHRA tour is less interesting to me. It's too formula.

I am lucky to have good drag strips both in the St. Louis area and the Phoenix area. I'm going to start going - with my ear plugs.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I go to car shows in the Phx area and see a lot of Ford Rangers with small block Chevys in thenm so it must not be a big deal to put them in ... I also see many Shelby Cobras that have chevy power in them, there is a Car club and all of the cars are built the right way according to the guys who own those Shelbys and Chevy power ... Personally, I prefer my Hemi ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

What would the modern variant be, Diesel for haulin', Gasoline for washing parts, Alcohol for drinkin', and Nitro is for racin'!

ec90t

17. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

Glad I could start a thread so many of you all have interest in, That's one thing I enjoy about shooting, I've heard a lot of stories from the Vets and Sr. Vets I shoot with about the cars they used to have. We have a few tracks within a decent drive from here (Thorn Hill, Edgewater, Clay City, and Tri-State). Well, I gotta go pull a big block out of a camper so I'll talk to you all in a little while.

Smokey

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Why are folks so interested in a running event with men dressed up as women?

19. certifiable

certifiable TS Member

Sent you a P.M. regarding your original info request before I found this reply method.

20. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

That's another plan 221, but that'll be a little farther down the road. The fastest I've been is a 13.49 in a pickup, and I'm really tight on money so the Small Block would be a good way to get started and get used racing... But this is what I'm hoping to do one day

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YaCbSfw_ySI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YaCbSfw_ySI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Smokey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.