1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Dog Philosophy

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by School Teacher, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

2LabMan:

When my wife and I get to heaven, we look forward to being reunited with our dearly beloved yellow labs, Annie and Sandy. They were a major part of our lives for 12 years. They taught my wife, daughter and I what unconditional love, patience and fun are all about.

You write "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. -Robert A. Heinlein"

Robert Anson Heinlein was one of my favorite science fiction writers. For many years, Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Arthur C. Clarke were known as the "Big Three" of science fiction.

His novel, The Glory Road, was published in 1963, when I was a freshman in college. Whenever I see Stargate, I think of Glory Road because in Glory Road, there were many “gates” between worlds.

In one episode, the hero, Oscar Gordon, uses a 1903 match rifle, with the star gauged barrel. In other battles, on other worlds, no mechanical weapons will work so they have to use the bow and the sword.

Here is a summary of the novel, from Wikipedia.

E.C. "Easy" Gordon, the protagonist, has been recently discharged from a war in Southeast Asia (obviously the Vietnam War, though never explicitly identified). As he ponders what to do with his future, he sits in a cafe in France hoping to win the Irish Sweepstakes. Into his life walks a beautiful woman, Star, who convinces him to embark on a perilous quest to retrieve the Egg of the Phoenix.

When she asks what to call him, while noticing a scar which he carries, he tells her "Oh, Scar." She repeats this as "Oscar," and thus gives him his new name. Along with Rufo, her assistant, who appears to be a man in his fifties, they tread the "Glory Road" in swashbuckling style, slaying oversized rats, dragons, and other creatures.

Rufo always shaves Oscar lying down because Rufo learned to shave corpses as an undertaker.

This book does not have much to do with trapshooting but it is a wonderful read.

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

2labman: Thank you. Fred

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The longer you deal with people, the better you like your dog!

Big Jack

4. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Dog Rules

Simply put, dogs have few rules. The entire Wolfen subcategory prides itself on being vaguely anarchic, providing for the pack when necessary; the more domesticated varieties may be more willing to follow direction from patient humans. But the Dog credo can be politely summed up in one sentence:

If you can't eat it or fuck it, piss on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.