1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ Dodge Intrepid cars...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bcnu, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Hi y'all, Looking at a couple of 01 and 04 Intrepids. Anyone have one of those and if so how were they? Also looking at a Concord and Stratus. Have had bad luck with Ford transmissions, the last 3 fords straight have had to have the trannys replaced. Thought that I would try something different. Thanks in advance, John

2. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

Used to be a sales manager at a Dodge store. Bill is right. 2.7 is bad news. There were a lot of recalls on those cars that the public knew nothing about from poor carpet quality and bad weather seals around the door to internal engine problems. Pat

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I had a 95 model bought it new and forgot the motor size it wasn't the 3.5 but the next one down and it never gave any trouble.

Except the seals around the tail lights leaked also the head light would get water in them.

Sold it close to a year ago it ahd 130,000 on it really I didn't buy it but had to pay for it.
    It rode good but still didn't really like it oh yeah the paint is bad on them also the top will flake off in spots.

Foghorn

4. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

John,

Stay away. My wife & I had an '01.

ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. Poor design, and everybody knew it. Salt spray from the road keeps coming up around the fender wells and corroding the battery connections...it would short out the entire electrical system eventually and kill the car. You'd have to remove everything in the front quarter of the engine compartment to get to the battery, brush the crud off all the connections, cake it with Lithium grease, and re-assemble (this fix would last from 4 to 10 months, depending on weather & driving conditions).

SEAT ADJUSTER BOLT...it about killed me one time. There was a recall because the seat adjuster bolt that holds up the seat did not have the proper tensile strength from the supplier. It would break and the seat would fall back to "full recline" mode while you were sitting in it. We took ours in for the recall...and, unbeknownst to us, Chrysler's warranty dumbasses never completely cleared out the service parts pipeline with certified parts when the recall was issued...they replaced ours with a bolt that was defective. AFTER the recall repair was done, the F_cker broke on me when I drove out of a gas station and leaned back in the seat to put my wallet in my pants pocket...I'm driving with one hand into a busy street, the seat breaks, and suddenly I'm lying on my back looking up at the dome light, foot on the gas speeding down the street with no hands on the wheel. Try sitting up from that position while the car is moving.

BALL JOINT FAILURE. The last of about 4 times time we had it towed because of the electrical failure (while my wife was driving it), I asked the tow truck driver which kind of cars he towed the most. He pointed at our car and said, "I have a fleet of 17 tow trucks operating around the city (Indianapolis), and the Dodge Intrepid, Neon, and Stratus are the top 3 on the back of my trucks every month...in fact, I bet I tow 20 or 30 Intrepids every month for broken ball joints alone...and when it happens, it usually does about $3,000 worth of damage."

PS - the tow truck company owner also said the Chrysler 300 "Bling Mobile" has a nasty problem with cracked engine blocks starting at about 30k miles...and Chrysler knows it, but no recall yet.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They don't call them the "Decrepit" for nothing! I'd stay away from them.

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

My buddy put 160,000 miles on a 2.7 intrepid.He put tires, brakes ,struts and a battery. Only repair was a water pump which started to get noisy at 140k. He does use mobil 1 oil though. He gave it to his niece who is still driving it.

7. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

And just where is Lee Iacocoa in this? Don`t forget he conceived the Ford Pinto!! Low Blow!! They look very nice though...

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

2.7L Engine is a problem - undersized oil pan/sludge problem. Chrysler is using an arbitration process to deal with the engine problems - they have not submitted to a recall as I understand.

Jay Spitz

9. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Never had problems with my '99 Intrepid. Big 6 engine. LOTS of power, great cornering, 29 to 31 miles per gallon on highway, more on long trips. 27 to 28 in city. Had to replace one strut and tires ( My fault on the tires) like to "smoke 'em" Only have two complaints: 1 very low to the ground making it difficult on my back in and out. and 2, Very dangerous on deep snow covered roads. Frame will grab in snow over 8" and can drag you around some. Otherwise I would not hesitate to buy another one! Good luck
    Primedust

10. richrob

richrob TS Member

Pick up a GM Lumina, Grand Am, anything really, we have had several and put over 180,000 on them without major repairs. -Rich

11. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I have an 01 Intrepid that we handed down to our daughter. Bought it new and very few problems with it. Maybe we've just been lucky so far. I am concerned about having to change the battery some day. It doesn't look to be an easy job.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I had a 01 Pontiac Bonneville with the 3800 V-6 as a shared company car when I was working computer field service ..It was an awesome car...comfortable, quiet, very fast and got 32mpg...unbelievable how well it ran considering it was not just driven hard but outright abused..12-14k between oil changes with cheap crap...tranny fluid changed once after 155K...plugs changed at 213k...never one problem with the car except a blown dash stereo speaker because one of my butthead techs( the one I know abused the car the worst)blew it out playing his rap music at max volume and bass...after he wrecked it using it for personal use...I gave him the choice to claim the accident on his insurance or pay for the damage out of pocket..after I recovered the companies loss...I fired his sorry ass!!

13. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Chrysler product is the last vehicle I would purchase. My former wifes 2004 Chrysler 300, now with 50k, has had 3 transmissions replaced, 4 fuel injectors replaced (and still runs rough as the moron did not replace all), and many annoying electrical problems (leading to dead battery).
    This car was a candidate for the California Lemon Law, but she is too sick to fight it. She keeps it garaged, clean, and still the paint has spots where it looks ready to peel. Just a crap car and it's no wonder the Asian cars are eating out lunch.
    That said, a Buick with the 3800 (also available in some Chevys) is an absolute rock solid road warrior. One rep in my business (sales) has over 240,000 road miles on his Regal without any major repairs. He claims 31mpg on hwy. My dad had a 89 Park Avenue with the same engine, good power and mileage.

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Your problem with Fords is easily fixed. I had the same problem with a 93 Crown Vic. 3 tranny rebuilds and heading for a another one when I distroyed in in a TA. Since have had a 96 Crown Vic (160K) and just turned in a 2000 with 199k without major tranny problems. The way to solve it is service the tranny every 15000 miles and if it starts to give you Torque Converter Shudder put the addative in the fluid. Just got a loaded 06 Grand Marquis...

TB

15. DODGEMAN

DODGEMAN Member

Been a Dodge Service Manager for over 30 years and the Intrepid is not the worst vehicle I've seen.
    Seems like every 2.7 engine problem the owner could not come up with oil change receipts.
    Make sure if purchasing used to check maintance records.
    I personally own a 2.7 Stratus and love the car.
    DJ.

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

stay away from 2.7 motor. most aftermarket warranty companies won't cover them

17. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

"Seems like every 2.7 engine problem the owner could not come up with oil change receipts. "

Typical weasel answer from a dealer.

18. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

TRON , why would you say that? its is an insult to us good dealerships. the after market warranty companies i use are both insured and bonded. they do pay out claims.

19. jester-the-molester

jester-the-molester TS Member

This is the only Intrepid I'd ever buy....

20. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well, after checking on the internet and on here, I ended up getting a 2002 Intrepid with 33,000 miles on it with a 3.5 motor. It seems to run like a champ, don't look like it will be too easy on gas but it will be a lot better than the 93 Explorer that it is replacing. Also got an 02 Stratus with a 2.3 motor and right at 100,000 miles.

I knew that between everyone on here, we would know EVERYTHING lol. As usual, I was right.

Alas, my poor 88 chevy pick up was totaled out in a wreck last week which has prompted the new cars. Seems as though a woman that I saw a good half mile away thought that it would be a good idea to turn out right in front of me while I was doing about 60 mph down the highway. My old truck fared alot better than her 95 Taurus. It is amazing just how fast one will come to a stop when a 4 thousand pound car is pulled in front of you. Both were totaled out but it only took a chain and a tractor to get mine ready to go again. Actually ended up making a couple hundred bucks on the truck and got to keep it. Now we have to settle the soft tissue damage. Never heard of such a thing. Never had been in a wreck and have no idea what that is worth. Wife had to take an ambulance ride to the hospital and I had them check me out while I was there. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what that would be worth?

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.