1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Do You know were your union dues are going?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by timberfaller, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Nice to know where your dues are going now days.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/09/occupy-dc-gets-office-space-with-money-from-seiu/

If I were still a union member, I would be either quitting my union or demanding my dues back!

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Did you shit your pants again and are trying to divert attention from yourself?

3. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Sorry, Timberfaller,

I'm in the Carpenters union which is not a member of the AFL-CIO. They do donate to the Democrats and I don't have a say where my dues go.

I also have to take some of the bad with the good, however. I am not going to throw away my 20 + years of pension, good wage and my insurance just because of a few of my dues dollars going to the Dems. The Carpenters do donate a small amount to Republicans and I like to think that is where MY portion is going.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Another perspective....

Curt

[​IMG]

5. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Once I left Ohio, and was no longer FORCED to pay dues to the Meatcutters union...I've never had to PAY SOMEBODY ELSE to represent me in the workplace. My work does it for me. Sorry about those who do.
    As you watch our country swirling ever deeper into the radical-left-wing toilet bowl where unions and Obama have led us...be sure to thank your local business agent.

6. timberfaller

Yep, I see my former union on the list, carpenters and joiners union.

Almost 32 million!!

Glad I quit while I was ahead of the game!

7. likes-to-shoot

P3AT.........If they would check the local I belonged to they would find those signatures.....mine will say I do not want my dues to go to any political organization.

A question, with the Feds allowing Super PACs this year, would those signatures still be valid?

Also anyone can start a Super PAC and hide your identity this election. In trying to level the playing field a very large can of worms has been opened. And big business has been taking advantage of this just like some of these waco organizations like Save the Trees and so forth.

Bill

8. likes-to-shoot

You bet here is another perspective.........

Top seven in money goes to the Republicans

Don't forget to click on the "Toggle Liberal/conservative percentages" button

9. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Timberfaller,

Your statement, "I'm glad I quit while I was ahead", leads me to believe that you got ahead while you were in the union. Did you stay a member long enough to be vested in the pension? If so are you now or will you in the future draw your pension or are you going to walk away from it??

I would be willing to bet that if you were vested before you quit the union you are or will get your pension from the union.

10. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

That chart of union donations is for the years 1989-2012, 23 years.

$602,108,049.00 equals $27,368,547.68 per year.

27million makes that big of a difference?

In the last 23 years the Democrats had Clinton and Obama for 12 years.

The republicans had Bush 1 and Bush 2 for let's see, oh, 12 years.

I fail to see what difference there is in predidential elections and how union donations have made any difference in the Presidential elections.

I'm sure someone can enlighten me. I am only considering the presidency.

PS timber, $32,000,000 divided into 23 years is only 1.4 million ayear. If you only take the 20,000 or so members in just the St. Louis District Council, that's only about 70 cents a year per carpenter. Hardly a reason to give up good benefits and a pension.

11. timberfaller

Just the opposite BBB,

The Company cut my wages, made me take a different job then what I was hired as and when I filed a grievance over what was going on, the Company made me take a week off as a disciplinary action.

All the while the union bargaining committee sat on their a$$'s and said nothing.

My job was being attacked because the side I was working on was given to a private company. We called them "jippo's" city boys called them "scabs".

All my dues paid into the union got me no where but broke. Glad I was young enough to understand what extortion was and experienced it early in my work experience.

12. falcon74

falcon74 TS Member

Why not have some of your union dues donated to the Jane Fonda fund for her new Movie http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/03/27/jane-fonda-set-to-play-nancy-reagan-in-new-film-report-says/

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I sympathize with union gun owners that have nothing to say about their dues going to an anti-gun party.

Please voice your opinion to your union.

14. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

I actually have to back up on my math. 1.4 million split by 20,000 is $70 a year not 70 cents. I apologize on my math.

Last year I paid approximately $1500 in dues so roughly 4% went to political donations. Not all of it to the Democratic party on the national level. Some stays locally and some to state politics. I am not sure how much is donated locally to the republicans but I would think it fair to guess at around a quarter goes to republican candidates

15. likes-to-shoot

Two things timberfaller.......

There are laws governing how far a union can go while its trying to represent its members. This is one aspect of representation that is overlooked when someone feels the unions aren't doing enough for them.

The second is it sounds like you misrepresented your abilities to your employer and they tried to find another position for you. By the way I believe the company broke labor laws when they gave you a week off for filing a grievance.

I have heard displeasure voiced in our local about the anti-gun adjenda most
    Democrates have. Also read P3AT's post above.

16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Unions don't have to pay any attention to laws so long as this lawless administration is in power.

17. likes-to-shoot

John, Show some 'recent' credible information to back your claim. Then I will show you the same from the other side of the fence.

18. timberfaller

Sorry likes to shoot,

the company was shutting down a side of a logging crew, promising the union NO ones wages would be lowered and the crew melted back into the other sides.

It worked for about a year and when it came to me being the last one, then it all went to pieces, As long as there was two of us they didn't do anything. The second guy quit and went to work for the jippo outfit that bought a brand new line machine to do the work of the one the company shut down.

When I filed my grievance, I found the woods supervisor in his pickup with the owner of the jippo outfit. How convenient!

Ya they broke all kinds of labor laws, and as I said the union sat on their fat a$$ and did nothing.

The Company threw the "union contract" in my face showing me they had the "Right" to do what they were doing. I grabbed the contract and showed on the back page where it said, "This contract is null and void until all "members" have a copy". I turned and showed the Bargaining Committee, they all shrugged the shoulders and said nothing. No one had a copy yet, except the company boss'es and union leaders!!

I stormed out and half way to my pickup, one of the committeeman caught up with me and told me I was getting "shafted"!!!!!!!!!

We had just gotten over a "strike" in which a Mill in Calif. had shut down our mill in WA with picketers from Calif. OVER a yard BOSS who climbed into a machine that unloaded log trucks so HE could get by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll never find me supporting unions!

As for my ability's, Loggers will only understand this, Skid Cat operators fought over who got to skid the timber strips where I fell timber.

19. likes-to-shoot

With more information I see where you are coming from now. At home we are a right to work state and in the late 70's and early 80's a lot of union companies went the same route. Some of the people from different crafts gave up their book but most of us went on our merry way. In the course of my career I have had worked for some very good non-union companies and some bad union ones. And some good companies with rotten foreman and vice a versa.

Just like some CEOs and business owners there are crooked union officials. That is one of the reasons there are some of the labor laws in effect now.

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Crooked politicians get in because people don't pay attention.

Same for crooked union officials.

SEIU and the Muny employees are the rottenest unions around. they gave 7 million to Obozo without any flak.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.