1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Do wild turkeys eat lead shot?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Every day the wild turkeys come out of the woods to scour the trap field for food, presumably bugs of some sort and maybe some vegetation. But do they eat lead shot and would that contaminate the meat? Just asking .....

LA

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't worry about it, I think they only eat # 9. Murray

3. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Nibble, nibble. Post-2

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

well I was going to be a smart a$$ but No but if they did it would not stay in long enough. The enviromental people have this country in a mess. rick

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Dump steel shot in the field and see if an Acme magnet will capture them. Works for Wile E. Coyote.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Geez, and I thought it was an interesting question!!!

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

They say turkeys eat around lead, gives them gas......

Ronbo

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The only two turkeys I've ever seen eat lead shot were the oes I pointed my 12 ga at.

9. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

never se any in my yard,but maybe they dont like 7-1/2's

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Turkeys, like chickens use gravel in their craw to grind up and digest food, and I suppose they might intake some pellets, if available, for that purpose. Because of it's density, though, lead quickly sinks into the less dense surrounding soil and shouldn't pose a toxic hazard, to them or further down the food chain (you) in any case. ....mike

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It was always my understanding that lead manifested itself in the bones, not the flesh... correct?!

Jay

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Shooting at clubs is ongoing, so there is always a bit of lead that can be swallowed by birds.

If you have daily visitors, over a short time they are getting a good amount.

Lead swallowed by a turkey does not just pass through the system.

From what I read, as lead is exposed to stomach acid, portions of the lead is released into the circulatory system of the bird.

Yes, the birds could be dangerous to eat as the lead gets into there liver and other parts.

Only way to tell is to for the birds to have a blood test, but anyway, eat at your own risk...

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Turkeys have a gizzard. Since they can't grind their food with their teeth like we do, they eat stuff like gravel, which helps grind food like corn and soybeans before it passes on to their stomach.

The gizzard is a pretty strong muscle.

If they DO eat lead, that lead may very well become ground up with the food they eat, and become tiny particles, more easily absorbed like Joe said above.

Don't bet on the old "aw, its just the environmentalists who got lead banned for waterfowl" gripe.

I personally know someone who was involved in the waterfowl mortality studies back in the 70's and he confirms the testing they did showed the birds were indeed dying of lead poisoning.

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

timb99. Ask your friend how long it takes for a wild duck to die of lead poisoning. Then ask your friend what the life expectancy of a wild duck actually is. I'm pretty confident it holds true for wild turkeys also. Post-2

15. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Only lead shot with 6% or higher antimony.....they do fart BUCKSHOT...so be careful out there.....

16. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

as if any of the other over cultured hybrid feed they are eating is probably any better !:O)~ LOL

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lead is toxic but we are exposed to many toxins everyday. The dose of the toxin is the critical factor. I would not be concerned about eating one, perhaps two turkeys that ingested a few shot. I would not want to eat 30 turkeys a year that had ingested shot. Actually, I would not want to eat 30 turkeys a year that had not ingested shot.

Lead has its most harmful effects on the nervous system. I grew up breathing gasoline fumes containing tetra ethyl lead and chewed on pencils that had a lead base paint. Look at what that did to my brain. And, I do not wish to discuss that point any further.

Pat Ireland

18. white rattler

white rattler Member

They eat it when you put it on them. Trevor Dawe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.