1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - DLP Televisions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by butch's90t, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

BTF - Don't have any idea what is causing your problems but I have a friend that had to replace the bulb in his TV. He purchased a new one on EBay for less than $100 with shipping. Not saying this is the way to go but may save you some money. HarryC

2. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

BTF-I have one too. Replaced the bulb last year about this time. I think it was two years old then. At least the bulb change was easy. I wonder if they built them that way expecting a lot of bulb changes.

Tom

3. DJM

DJM Member

My $1,800 Samsung 42 " DLP lasted 13 months before it went out. It needed a "digital module", $600 installed. Disapointing as this unit was in my basement and was used just for viewing DVDs. Repair shop told me they were not any where near as reliable as the old tube style TV. I notice the DLPs have all but disapeared from the TV displays at the store.

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have a Mitsubishi 62" DLP and a Samsung 61" DLP. Both have needed new light bulbs in about 18 months of use (and the Mitsubishi gets very little use). Mitsubishi did send a bulb under warranty however.

I love the picture quality of the DLP's when fed a high quality signal. However, if you want DLP, I think you just have to accept the fact that bulbs at 150$ a pop will be necessary. Plasma has a reputation of burn-in, leak and all that. LCD is too slow on fast moving pictures. DLP eats up light bulbs. I am sure in the next few years major improvements will be made and a new standard will emerge.

I have a 65" rear projection Mitsubishi Diamond that is the size of a small garage, but the picture is awesome, and the set is 5 years old without so much as a tune up. But again, it is a big box to live with.

5. missemucho

missemucho Member

I bought a 54" Mitsubishi from Amazon in Jan of 2007 because I wanted the biggest screen available for a $1000. This one was a closeout and for $1099 it included free shipping and setup (with no sales tax). It still has the original bulb and this baby gets the use--my wife has it on at least 16 hours a day everyday. I've been scouting around for the inevitable replacement. Make sure if you buy one on EBAY that it comes with at least a one year guarantee. They also advertise the bulb by itself and you swap the plastic holder that the bulb is mounted into.

There are all kinds of bulbs for sale at around $150 with a year's guarantee. I believe some manufacturer now has a set that uses led lights, doing away with the bulb. The picture off dish is amazing and the bulb cost is somewhat offset by the fact that dlp rear projections use the least energy of any of the big screens.
    John

6. Tally

Tally TS Member

$175.00 for a lamp is really fairly reasonable. If you can still get them at that price you should probably buy another (or more!) Manufacture of those lamps will cease shortly. DLP's are no longer being manufactured by anyone, although there may still be some in the shipping pipeline or languishing in warehouses somewhere. I'm eating my lunch at the audiovisual company that I work for as I reply to your post. I can't recall when we last installed a DLP, though we on rare occasions are called to service someone elses. We do mostly commercial and institutional installations. LCD is by far the most popularchoice for big screens.

Tally

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.