1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Dish Network vs. Cable

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Chuck DeVoid, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

This is way off subject, but I don't know anyone to ask that has DISH network. We presently have Time Warner for our cable TV and phone company for phone and internet. Trying to decide on the packages they're offering to save some money. Consolidating with one company does reequire signing up to a 2 year price lock or incur a healthy penalty for early cancellation. Each service has their pros and cons..

I ask if anyone has DISH satellite network for their TV, and how satisfied they are with the reception and service? I've heard that the satellite service is subject to weather conditions and reception does suffer. I'm not keen on the idea of a satellite dish on my house (certainly not on my roof), and also ask if installation has presented any problems for anyone?

Thanks very much in advance,

Bill

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Cable is not an option at my place so I looked at both Direct and Dish for better reception and more channels than an antennae provided. I chose Dish for the best bang for the buck for the channels I watch (Family Package).

In severe T-Storms I do lose reception. I guess the signal can't penetrate the rain. Other than that I have been VERY pleased with the reception , value and technical support. Twice I had a problem and the Technician talked me through the set setting procedure and I was back in business. I have a low tolerance for poor customer service and can recommend Dish's service.

I have the Dish on the roof. I was able to hide it in a valley of the roof line and it is not an eye-sore. No problems with leaks or connections. If the economic gods smile on me I may upgrade to a Hi-Def TV and I will surely give Dish a nod for the upgrade.

HBT

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I've had Dish Network for around ten years. It replaced Comcast Cable. I'm very happy with the service and the programming choices.

Recently I called them concerning the program card on one of my recievers (it was the original receiver). The fellow at Dish advised that alas, my original receiver could not be upgraded. However, if I would renew for two years, they would send a new receiver. Better than that, they would replace both of my receivers no charge. The next day, I had two new receivers. The instructions were clear as a bell, and only a small glitch on their end when setting up the second receiver. It was handled in less than two minutes.

Like OTM, the reception does have problems when thunderstorms pass in line of sight with the satellite. However, the overall reception is superb.

Best,
    Dennis

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I have had both. I had problems with DISH service and went with Directv. I have the antenna on my roof and have had no problems. When I have reception or technical problems; I call the 800 # and am "talked through" the process to fix it. Inclement weather will definitely affect the signal. I presently have the Hi-Def system and am satisfied. (The Hi-def system uses a different satellite antenna and receiver). Either one will give you special deals. I would compare Dish and Directv and see which one fits your needs and budget. Ed

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I have had Dish network, yes weather does cause interference with reception on stormy times. I know have ATT U-Verse and if availabe in your area I would recomend it. What we tend to forget is that no matter what method of delivery to your home is all starts with a Dish wheter it's your own or the major providers then deliviring the signal via cable of some kind. We have Comcast in our area and a friend that has it is very unhappy with reception, my ATT has had few times when it locks up for a second or two but overall much better than I had with Dish or Comcast cable. Anyone remember when Cable was advertised and sold as a commercial free way of viewing your favorite programs?

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have DireecTV ...it replaced my cable because of all the problems we had.

Weather interuptions are very brief and no where as long as we had with cable.In fact we had problems so often that my parrot got to know the cable service guy's name and greeted him when he arrived.

7. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

We have Direct TV at home and Comcast at the beach. I prefer cable for both the TV and for the internet. When there is severe weather, unless you want to hover around a weather radio, you have no idea what is going on because you lose reception with Direct TV. Cable is faster on the internet and more reliable with varying weather conditions. If you get alot of wind your dish will constantly be going out of alignment with the satellite unless you tri-pod it. Also, when using the dish for the internet you have to consider placement for health reasons. I don't recall exactly how many feet it needs to be away from your main living area and bedrooms, but it has to be factored into your decision. That being said, if the savings is substantial, the differences are not notable enough to not take advantage of the savings. Kim

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Can't have sat service where I live and cable was getting too pricey so I went with bundled service from AT&T for U-Verse. Now I get one bill for tv, i-net, phone & cell phone at a better price.

Eric

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had Dish TV for several years in Yakima WA. The only prob I ever had was I had to use a broom to clean the snow off the cone when we had a blizzard. Never had any loss of use in thunderstorms. I have Cableone now and wish I had the Dish back. I really liked the weather option on dish. You could select most any city and see the weather.

10. TjayE

TjayE Member

I have Comcast Cable service (triple play) and I would rate it as a 6 or 7 on a 10 point scale. The only channels that have good reception are the HD channels. All the rest of the channels are blurry. I have been fighting with Comcast and they can not fix the problem. I think I will go back to radio. I do like the cable for my Internet supplier. Tom

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dish TV for 12 years and without major problems. Yes, A very nasty, goomba cloud or super heavy rain has caused pixelating of picture or shut us down when the dish is pointed directly at it but our storms like that are rare enough to not be concerned. Service was kinda clunky early on but now an 800# and you are walked through the fix generally quite quickly. As often as not unplugging the receiver for a couple of minutes and re-starting forces the receiver to re-boot and solves the dilemma - maybe once every couple of years?? It's two thumbs up at our abode....Bob Dodd

12. JOND

JOND TS Member

As cubancigar said,if you live where there is a fair amount of snow you may[rarely] have to brush it off with a broom.This is true for both Dishnetwork or Direct Tv. Had mine installed just off my deck for that very reason. Good Luck however you go! JOND

13. Tenshot

Tenshot TS Member

The two big differences from a quality stand point between dish and a local cable company are, the local cable company is picking up the programming from multiple antennas and dishes at their head end. you then have to balance the audio and video levels then this is all sent from the antenna farm to your home threw the local hard lined system. small company's and even the larger ones can have a hard time keeping everything in balance (when you have higher audio or better pictures on some channels as opposed to others usually between the high or low channels).there is a lot of cable between the headend and your home that is susceptible to problems IE fittings, cracks, electrical amplifiers that boost the signal as it gets farther from the originating source. A microwave or heat pump in someones house a mile away has the potential to cause your internet to slow.

Dish/Direct has their own satellite so they have better control they bring all the programming into the main facility it is then processed and balanced to a much finer degree, it is then up linked on there satellite and down to your home.
    Weather can degrade the signal of both the dishes and cable, a house dish is smaller and will be affected before the 6 or 9 meter dishes usually used by the local company's.

All that being said cable will generally have faster internet service and possibly a few local programs that dish will not, on a day to day comparison the dish will have a better channel to channel picture. a lot of the cable company have gone to voice over Internet phone service so bundling full services is a possibility.

The dish company can place the dish in any location they have a line of sight to the satellite from, I would stay away from the roof mount if at all possible they will run lag screws threw the roof with or without silicone to seal it depending on the installer and usually causes leaks over time. the installer can run new lines from the dish to your existing wiring that the local company is using now to avoid drilling new holes. the LNB the small object in front of the dish can eventually loose it gain or the signal will become weaker to the receiver over time 8 to 10 years usually and is easier to replace if not mounted on a roof if you keep the service that long.

Dish usually starts off with a low price and raises it in 2 to 6 months and requires a long term agreement, local cable is generally month to month.
    Either route make sure you read all the fine print before you decide, if you have cable now make sure you mention you are considering switching from local service to dish and most times they will add something to the deal, we usually drop the install fee for anyone who leaves dish and hooks up with us.

Lee

14. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

JOND

Every time I go out to brush the snow off my dish, I think of all those I see mounted on rooftops...

:)

15. JOND

JOND TS Member

MTA TOM-I think the same thing! Every once in a while I actually make a good decision! It then scares me! JOND

16. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi!
    Go to your local AT & T Store and check out UVERSE. You can get a "double" package of hi spd internet and tv programming, or a "triple" package of hs internet, tv programming, and land line. Prices are great for what your get. $100 cash back for U200 tv package or higher. Make sure to go to a AT & T Store, though. NOT just a radio shak or something that sells AT & T products. The AT & T Store will check to see if you're eligible to get it. So far so good. We dumped DISH Network b/c of the rididculous price they want for their internet setup.
    Good luck! -Patrick

17. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Eddie, I have a rabbit ear antenna with built in amp from Wally world at my fish camp and also have the converter box and was amazed at how clear the stations are. My place is across from Eufaula Alabama in Georgia and I pick up stations as far away as Dothan(80 miles) and Columbus(70 miles) and they are digital. Not all the stations in that area have switched over but I get 7 stations and 6 more that haven't changed over yet. Jackie B.

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I switched from cable TV to Dish about 2 1/2 years ago.

Never looked back.

Dish TV has a better signal than our cable ever did which results in better pictures on my TV.

As for snow.....I live in Iowa and we get a lot of it. I have never lost the picture because of snow or snowfall. A heavy thunderstorm passing through the area might knock the picture out, but for a only a very short time.

In my area, the cable company is currently showing this ad about a guy up on the roof cleaning off his satellite dish and finally falling off the roof and telling his wife that's it, they are switching back to cable.

Tell you what, I saw more downtime with cable TV than I ever have had with Dish TV.

So next time anyone sees that ad, just know it is an on air lie.

Hauxfan!

19. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I have Dish Network with the DVR receiver. I record all my favorite shows, and can skip through all of the commercials and pause for whatever reason. If I do not hear something, I simply back it up to hear what I missed. Very user friendly, believe me, if I can figure it out anyone with fingers can. It has taken watching TV to a whole new level of enjoyment for me.

20. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

I'm overwhelmed by all the nice responses to my inquiry, and extend my thanks to everyone. Looks like DISH is a viable alternative to Cable.

Thanks, Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.