1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Dish network-am I just paranoid?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by thomaslea1, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Dish came to the house to do some repairs. When they left they had installed something called a "SlingLink Turbo" to one of the switch ports of my router. Their explanation was that it would allow them to do "testing" over the Internet. My take is that ANYTHING plugged into a router port is on MY side of the router's firewall and therefore possibly opens the chance for comprising the network security, along with all the computers on it. The router ports are send/receive, so the possibilities are endless.
    I also feel that this allows monitoring of my TV watching, and that opens up a BIG box of worms. Folks know when you're home/gone, know what you watch and when and that info gets sold for targeted advertising, and so on.

Am I over paranoid?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

No. HMB

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

According to SlingLinks website, it's only a network extender.
    Used mainly for video streaming in areas of the house where
    wireless might be weak.
    Not a spy device.

Mike C.

4. trapster100

trapster100 Member

A "SlingLink" is the Sling-branded version of a HomePlug adapter. HomePlug technology allows Ethernet signals to be distributed over your home's built-in power wiring. Typically, you would use a HomePlug near your home network router to get the network signals into the power lines, and then another HomePlug device near each device that you want to connect to the network and can't run an Ethernet cable to.

But... Dish's ViP-series receivers have HomePlug technology built into them already, so all you need is one HomePlug connected to your router and your ViP receivers will get the network signal through their own power cable and will be on the network.

NOTE: you must have the receivers (and the HomePlug at the router) plugged directly into the wall, as most "surge protectors" will filter out the HomePlug signals. There are HomePlug-compatible surge protectors and UPSs available.

The whole point of this exercise would be to get your Dish HD-DVR connected to the Internet, which lets you schedule/control the DVR remotely and lets you do DishOnline (Download On Demand via your Internet Connection) and order PPVs with your remote.

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Good info. thanks,

JON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.