1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/DISC REMOVAL

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nutty1, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

HEY GUYS I AM HAVING NUMBNESS IN MY LEFT HAND AND IT'S MOVING UP MY ARM DID THE CORTIZONE COCKTAIL A FEW MONTHS AGO AND I FELT PRETTY GOOD NOW IT'S BACK. TWO BULGED DISCS C5/C6 ORTHOPEDIC SURGEONS WANTS TO REMOVE THEM THROUGH THE FRONT OF MY NECK [OUCH] HAS ANYONE HAD THI DONE AND IF SO WHAT WAS THE OUT COME AS I'M NOTREAL WILD ABOUT GOING UNDER THE KNIFE THIS CLOSE TO THE SPINAL COLUMN THANKS STEVE

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

See the above site... I had that done in 2000. Leaving in 10 mins for a check up. Arthritis invaded the repair and at least I'm not a C-4 Quad. Back in 2000 it was considered experimental so I don't know how many people have had this procedure done.

Jerbear

3. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

No need to yell......it didn't affect your hearing!!!

I had 6/7 done about 10 years ago, same process...through the neck in front, added a titanium plate and 4 screws. It stabilized everything....I was paralyzed for a short time as a result of a ski accident. I also have a bulge at L1/2 that I had 5 shots for before it got better.

At any rate my surgery went well, minimal discomfort and I was back to work and moving around close to normal in about 2 weeks. Of course it was two months before I could shoot. I have just a little residual tingling in my left hand and forearm, but it is quite manageable.

Good luck.

4. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I had C5/6 done and titanium plate implated about 5 years ago. The recovery was quick. Had residual pain stiffness for about a year. No problems now. I was back to shooting about 4 months after surgery. I started back with a PFS and gradually stiffened the recoil absorption back to none. Then went back to regular stock on my guns.

Jim C

5. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

oops.... i didn't mean to shout, i guess the new procedure is disc removal and donor disc replace then they take bone from your hip i'm a heavy equiptment operator and three guy's at work have had this done all three are now complaining and back in phys therapy and are thinking about new occupations [scary]

6. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

They used cadaver bone in my procedure.

7. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

If you can survive with a good therapist , that would be better than the knife . My doctor didn`t want me on workers comp any longer but I insisted for another therapist and haven`t looked back . A friend went and had a pig bone put in her neck the same time and she had so much pain and numbness for over a year but she seems better now . That was the treatment at the time allowed by the AMA and only in a hospital in Ohio . All injuries are not the same .

8. Ted N.

Ted N. TS Member

I had 2 levels done in my neck, first one in 1983, second one in 1984, about 1 1/2 years apart. I was an over-the-road trucker, and degenerative disc disease and bone spurs on the vertebrae was the cause of my problems. But, both surgeries were done well, and with pieces from the crest of my hips, and I was able to go back to trucking with no problems. Just make sure you get a good cutter (neurosurgeon).

Good luck, Ted N

9. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I had a c-5/6 removal and fusion in 2002 because of loss of sensation, pain in elbow and tingling. It was done through the front of my neck. It was uncomfortable in the beginning, but I followed instructions and am pleased with the result. Ask about micro surgery to repair the disc and disc replacement.
    Pat Haskins

10. Rottweil72

Rottweil72 TS Member

Have had 3 lower back operations -- I think the last time, if I would have had a gun with me, -- I might have used it!!

The first time they did a lazer procedure -- inserted the device into the center of the disk, burnt a small amount of the inside of the disk, the disk then shrunk and came off the nerve -- one day procedure ---- it worked so well, that months later I was lifting heavy steel and really did it -- had to have the traditional operation --- (when time goes by and you feel good -- you don't think about your back and what you should not lift!!) If they still do the lazer procedure, it is something to consider

Bill

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

My wife had that done and they used a donor bone(s). Great success. Never had a moments trouble after that.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

12. bmagnie

bmagnie TS Member

I had C6/C7 and C7/T1 done last Sept. Went back to work on Nov. 1 and started shooting gently around the same time. My voice took almost 3 months to recover so activating the voice calls was a pain. They used some bone material from my hip. 100% recover with no after affects.

Bill

13. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I didn't have any voice problems. I had them use cadaver bone. It is only calcium, so no rejection problem. Those I know who used their own hip bone said it was more painful than the rest of the surgery and took longer to heal.

14. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

JayZap-

Sort of....I would say my voice was "weak" for under a week, I can't remember exactly how long....it was 10 years ago.

I also had the bone graft from my hip crown...that was more irritating then the neck repair. It is still a little sensitive even today!!

15. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

My voice was weak and raspy for about 2 months.

Jim C

16. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Jim,

How did this affect your archery & for how long?

17. southpark

southpark TS Member

After being hit from behind at high speed (I was stopped) three of my cervical disks moved out, spondylosis may or may not have already had compounded the problem, abnormal EMG and nerve damage to nerves going to both hands and arms.

Told be several doctors I need a three level fusion and if I wait the nerve damage could become permanent.

Also told because I my age (40), I would probably have my whole neck fused in 10 years or so (remember I need a three level fusion, if it were one the docs said to not worry so much).

Thus, I am waiting for artificial cervical disks to become FDA approved.

I suggest you look into a Saunnder's HomeTrac cervical traction device.

Oh yeah, and drugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.