1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Direct TV vs. Dish Network?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jon Reitz, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Have any of you had success switching from Dish Network to Direct TV? I've been contemplating this move for some time because of the rate never-ending increases, and I know there are some good promotions out there now. Input (good or bad) please?

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

2. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I'll give you my Direct TV account number and we both get $100! how about that. I have had DirectTV since 1997, love it.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Had Dish Net for a couple years and went back to cable.

Satellite TV is fine as long as it works but who do you call when it goes down?

At least with cable you have some service.

A lot of junk channels, a lot of radio music and the price does go up after the honeymoon is over.

MK

4. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

They both are out of sight if you want decent programing. They con you with a cheep first three months and then stick it to you after that.

5. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

I have had them both. DTV is the best but still high. They get you with the extras. I have Dish right now. Their cheapest package has nothing to watch.

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Call and tell them you are going to switch. I can just about guarantee that they will give you a cut in the monthly service rate.

If they don't cut the rate and you go ahead with the switch, make sure to leave the original dish mounted and keep the original control box so you can switch back when they jack the rate again!

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you think you are getting increase now, try cable. It is very high and poor service ( cableone) I had dish tv for a few years and it was awesome. Had to brush a little snow off the dish a couple times but otherwise no probs

8. warren

warren Member

I've had both Direct and Dish and I like Direct the best but I do not like all the stupid channels you have to buy to get the ones you want. I think you should be able to pick the ones you want, I am not about to buy any jewlry on a tv channel.

warren

9. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

DirecTv.....hands down the best of the options.

Jim C

10. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Been contemplating switching to Dish from Direct for the free HD. Came home from vacation and the Direct TV box wouldn't power up. Everything else was OK, but the box wouldn't turn on. It had been acting funny for a few weeks before (would reboot itself at random). Called direct and had to pay $20 to get a new receiver, and was told I had better put the old box in the mail or else I'd be charged $300 or something. Really soured me on Direct, not to mention I can get almost the same channels with HD for about $10 less a month than Direct without the HD.

Told myself I'd watch rocks before going back to cable. When I had it, it literally went up every 3 months. When I moved and turned all their stuff in, they sent me to collections saying I owed them for the cable box -- 6 months later. Dumb luck that I still had the receipt for turning it in, but I still had to go down and prove it to them. No apology, nothing. This was Comcast by the way.

11. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

I had Direct for 12 years, switched to Dish because of prices. Neither one of them cares about current customers, just new ones. I got the same package for 20 bucks less at dish. When my two year contract is up, back to Direct for me. Direct wouldn't talk about lowering prices, and I suspect Dish will be the same way. That way I get new hardware every two years. CANNOT live without my DVR.

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

We had Direct for about 14 yrs, we seldom watch tv, unless it's miserable out side, we were spending about $100 per month for nothing, we put up an antenna,and get 48 channels free, I miss a few, but tired of paying 100 per month and nothing worth watching on the 250 stations

Guess we're old fashioned

13. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Had Direct for 5 years. The DVR I was LEASING (it belongs to them) went bad and they replaced it for me. They did not inform me that as soon as I accepted the new equipment (even though it was a replacement for defective equipment) ....it starts a new 2 yr contract. When I cancelled 3 mo. later, they had me return the equipment......then billed me $400 + for a cancellation fee. The moral: Read the fine print!!!!

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

My Direct TV box quit powering up last Friday. I called them and they said toss the receiver in the junk and upgraded me to an HD receiver and got it on monday.....N/C. I don't subscribe for HD but they told me....I will soon.

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You could just order a 4 room package and divide the receivers up with your buddies and share the costs. They would need to have a dish for each house.

16. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i saw an ad for new customers of my cable company that was significantly lower than i was paying. i called my cable company and told them i was changing to direct tv unless they gave me the new customer rate..

they did with no time limitation..

fist time whining ever worked for me ?

ernie

17. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Dr.Gun

Just remember you have now agreed to a 2 yr. contract. Should you decide to change companies, you will have to pay a cancellation fee!

18. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

mikkeeh,

I'll be sticking with Direct TV for a while. Where I'm located, if I were to use an antenna, I'd get "3" fuzzy channels..12, 12, and 12.

Doug

19. calilori

calilori TS Member

I had Dish, switched to Direct and within 3 months paid the cancellation fee and went back to Dish. None of the Direct TV equipment worked right and they give you serious attitude when you call. As for the price of Dish, everytime the introductory offer is up, I call and ask them what specials they are running and they have always given me the special price. I rarely watch TV so I have neither now.

20. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

I had Direct TV until I moved about 5 yrs. ago.
    They were going to charge me for moving to continue my sat. service.
    I told them to get screwed and cancelled my service and told them under no circumstances that I would ever do business with them again.

Just last year I got Dish TV so we could watch the Cubs and NASCAR.
    Service is OK but the rates sure went up after the "honeymoon".
    I also would loke to be able to pick my channels instead of looking thru their "packages" of channels that only have a few that I would ever watch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.