1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: digital cable to analogue device

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My old Marine step dad is also deaf as a post. He turns the TV up until the neighbors can listen without the trouble of turning on their own TV. I bought a pair of stereo headphones thinking I would install RCA adaptors and plug them into the TV audio outlet so the sound would be getting injected directly into his ears but it turns out the only audio outlet is digital. Is there any way to adapt the digital cable to the analogue device or does it require a device on the receiving end that has digital cable capability? Thanks, wireguy

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If there's no headphone jack on the set take a look for RCA connectors marked "Audio Out". If so you can connect to a small amplifier that has a headphone jack. Id there's no headphone or audio out connection then you're kind of out of luck.

Eric

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Audio out of the TV into say the VCR audio input of an inexpensive stereo system. Set stereo to VCR audio and plug in the headphones into the stereo headphone jack and give him the remote and he can crank it as loud as he needs to. Just make sure the stereo can turn off the external speakers. Most stereos have a speaker selection, Speakers A or B, just push the button to turn them off.

If the TV has a earphone jack, get an adaptor for the stereo headphones... Radio Shack has them.

Just a thought... Jerbear

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Both good ideas revealing more knowledge than I have. There are audio out jacks. They have to have their own amplifier then, they aren't already tied to the TV's speakers. I need a relatively modern but junker stereo which would give me analogue jacks, volume control, and amplifier, right? Or else a unit that has the same but without tuner, etc., right? I'm learning. I thought the audio out would already be tied into the TV's amp and volume control but now I see that's not it's actual design purpose.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Another good idea. Thank you. wireguy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.