1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT:Dehydrator for Jerky???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

American Harvest is a good reasonable one. I have used one for years. Cabelas sells them and others but here is a good place to get a deal on one. I buy all my meat processing stuff from them www.sausagemaker.com

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I bought an older clean Excaliber 5 tray at a garage sale, works great.

I see them at goodwill stores sometimes for cheap.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The market if over run with good machines and they all do the same basic thing ... I have had several different types and none of them are any better or worst than the last one as far as I'm concerned ... Get the one that holds the most to limit the amount of loads you have to put in it ... EBay has several different types at very reasonable prices if your interested ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The cheapest you can buy. They all work the same way.

5. englishupland

englishupland Member

I have an excaliber and do beef, venison, and fruits....

Works great...
    Be careful if you do dried apples..You will eat them like potato chips and fail to realize you just ate about 5-6 apples, but the soon to follow bathroom trip will remind you..;)

For the jerky I tenderize/marinade overnight and add a little season salt, and worshteshire...Love it, and so do the friends...A little fat on the beef adds some flavor to the jerky, but some like it lean. Caribbean jerk adds some punch.

6. gotbass

gotbass Member

While it is true that the round plastic type are all about the same and the price point will help you decide, I have wore out three or four of those over the years and they do not really make quanity without doing batches. Let me suggest one of the bigger units from Cabellas. I have one of their 16 rack units and can do thirty lbs. of meat for jerky at once. Because it is time and temp adjustable you can set and forget and don't have to worry about turning off in the middle of the night. Only worth doing though if you make a fair amount of jerky/other product a year. Also easier to clean up.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What about Big Chief or Little Chief Smoker?

8. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Here is were I get my Jerky spices. American harvest has a 1000wat, wished I had bought it instead of the 500wat. 10tenner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.