1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Dehumidifiers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Getting some major condensation on one part of the ducts in basement. (why one part???) The basement is finished with a drop ceiling. one of the drop ceiling tiles practically fell down as it was soaked with water. I assumed it was condensation on a section of the supply duct. As I investigated where the water was coming from i noticed that the supply duct crosses under the panning of the return then the panning drops into a return duct. I guess the installers panned the joist after they installed the supply duct as its not panned in that section.

I pulled some of the panning down and found that water was accumulating there in the panning. (return from the 1st floor drops into the panning in the basement. No water above the panning in the wall, Its really weird!!) Then it is finding the easiest way out so what appeared to be coming from the supply duct was really coming from the return and running down the supply duct than dripping on the ceiling tiles.

I am not a HVAC guy but I think the problem may have arisen because I cut a return duct into the return down in the basement to rid us of having a dehumidifier. The return I cut is in between the panning where there was water and the fan in the unit. I was thinking that more air was pulling from the new return and the air in the panning was not being pulled and that somehow is causing the condensation problem.

Problem is also that its a heat wave with high humidity, I know!!

its my first summer in this house and the previous owners had a dehumidifier in the basement. There are water spots on various tiles. There were no returns or supplies in the basement. I added a return thinking it would dehumidify the basement so we would not need a dehumidifier.

So I patched the return I cut to see if that fixes the problem and I will put a dehumidifier in the basement. I did not want to do this as I hate the noise and having to empty the bucket.

Are there any solutions to the condensation problem, and are there any dehumidifiers that don't have to be drained and are quiet? I do not have a drain available to attach a hose and run it to the drain. But I guess the water has to go somewhere. Would I get good dehumidification if I kept the dehumidifier in the utility room which is in the farthest part of the basement? I could build a shelf and run a hose from the dehumidifier to the condensate pump for the A/C. There is no door to the utility room, only some saloon type doors? I just don't think it would draw the moisture from the entire room.

Its really pissing me off and i need some help.

Thanks. Jeff

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You might need more than one dehumidifier- they are rated- but try one- run a line to the drain

Buy or find a piece of thick foam insulation - or cut a couple so you have 2-3 inches - set the dehumidifier on that- it will make it work more efficiently because it will be insulated from the floor- and it will much more quiet

Buy a good one and a good one is usally associated with expense- but shop the home improvement centers and buy the best one you can

sounds like you have big problems and you dont want them to get worse

You will be amazed at how much better your air conditioning works

Also conider a whole house fan

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

With the whole house fan mentioned by Gene (I have always called them attic fans) you can open a window in the basement and close all other windows in your house and be amazed at the air flow through the basement. Pick up all loose papers in the basement first.

I like attic fans but they do not seem to be very common in my area.

Jeff- You do have a problem that must be addressed. A dehumidifier might work if you have a good drain for the water. Do not let the problem get so bad that you end up with a mold problem. That can get really expensive. I appraised a house not long ago with a serious mold problem behind the walls and ceiling. The remedy required the owners to vacate the house for at least three weeks and the cost to repair is estimated at $18,500.

Pat Ireland

4. moon dog

moon dog Guest

Look for jondon they sell dehues with pumpouts no emptying .Look for dri-ez iown several.

5. oz

oz Active Member

you might have a water pipe leak. sometimes they are so small you can't see them but if you put your hand near the pipe you can feel the leak. oz

6. kolar12

kolar12 Member

The higher the pint capacity of water removal the unit has, the more likely it is to freeze.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kolar 12 - and that is where setting it on those piece(s) of pink foam help tremendously

If it has wheels(which it probably does) the wheels wont be an issue- they will just indent the foam

One reason and the main reason for freezup is the conductivity of temperature from the basement floor through the dehumidifier- some more expensive units have more insulation but the foam works cheaper and maybe as well- maybe better than paying a hundred or a couple hundred more for the best insulated models

Plus you can turn it off now and then a week and let the ice melt in a couple of hours

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. C H S

C H S TS Member

<I>"The higher the pint capacity of water removal the unit has, the more likely it is to freeze."</i>

Buy a dehumidifier specifically marked for basement use. They have defrosters built into them and won't freeze. The ones in my basement are good down to 40 deg. F.

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.