1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ Dehumidifier Needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TC, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

Need a new dehumidifier that will last more than just a couple years. I am getting tired of having to replace them all the time. Looking for something in the 50 to 70 pint range. Any suggestions?

2. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

JUst bought a 50 pint Kenmore. I had a Maytag 70 pint that would freeze in the walkout basement that hovers around 68 degrees even with vents shut off. I dealt with it for the past 5 summers, so I brought it upstairs and thought that it would work fine in 72 degree air. Wrong still freezing up so I chucked it.

I read a reviews and some posts on homeowner sites. Seems all have good points and bad points. I was really convinced on buying a Dandy made dehumidifier but read where warranty service is terrible.

So I went with Sears, paid $230.00 for the model 50501. I paid $60 bucks for a 5 year in home warranty. With tax I was out the door for just over $300.00.

I have had three warranty issues on various electronics over the past 10 years, with the last being about 2 years ago on my flat panel television, all 3 were positive and no hassle.

The fellow at the store told me that although cehaper to buy the 5 year warranty and just carry the little humidifier into the store for repair, it takes longer because it sits for 3-5 days before getting shipped to a repair facility and then another 5-10 days to get it back.

The salesman claims that when coming to your house they will more than likely bring a new one with them, etc... which I found to be true with the television.

Bottom line, I didn't find a 50-70 pint dehumifier that people are raving about still running after 5-10 years. From what I read, it seems 3-4 is average with one still running after 6 years being rare.

So my suggestion, find a brand and model you like from a store that has a long term warranty that you like and go with that... For $60.00 bucks I now know that I will have a working dehumidifer for at least 5 more years.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I went through that problem so I finally bought a Kenmore that was reconditioned by sears, 4 years and no problems. Bulge.

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I found that longevity seems to be a problem also. My first Sears lasted about 12 yrs,so I was lucky. What I did was to buy a cheap $15-20 small space heater & run that in the summer. I get the temp up to about 66+ & that seems to do it. Otherwise my basement temp is about 63 summer & winter & it is finished & insulated. The $'s to run the heater are same as the dehumififer. That extra warmth dries the moisture out of basement. Try it,will not cost much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.