1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Deer Clover

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Zoltan, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

I have a 3 acre field that I want to plant to deer clover. I have the ground prepared but I need some advice on the amount of seed needed and what type. I want to keep the field so that I do not have to mow more than once or twice a season. I want the plants to not grow too high since we are within the city limits and folks will see the field from the road. Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Roger Edgington

2. rrel

rrel TS Member

use imperial whitetail clover which is basically ladino clover at a rate of 4-6 lb. per acre any time now is the time to plant

3. swamp rat

swamp rat TS Member

If you buy the deer clover you will pay a higher price because its deer clover.
    As rrel said, deer clover is just a ladino clover (a white clover). I sowed a field a few years ago for deer and I used half red clover and half ladino clover (white clover) at a rate of 10lb/acre, this rate is more than the seed charts recommends but it help choke out the weeds and other grasses that you dont want in the clover.

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Do you know your PH level, because all the white clovers are very ph sensetive. You will have to cut the field depending on moisture [at least twice] 3 acres is too large for the deer to trim on their own. In fact, I have several 20ftx200yd plots and they even cannot keep those trimmed. I would not try to establish ANY white clover on its own. Especially Ladino. Go to your local fed mill, and work with the people there. If that is not an option get a catalog from the Albert Lea seed company. Fine products, and good advise in the book. If you are in the Northern climate [North of Illinois] It is already a little late for a fall clover plant.

GS

5. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Roger -

As has been mentioned you can go to your local feed mill and get a good ladino clover although I have personally had better luck with the Imperial Whitetail Clover. You may have to mow it twice the first year, but only once every year after. You will need to plan on overseeding about every 3rd year.

You will probably not get a good stand before fall, so you may want to plant the 3 acres in wheat and then come back in February and overseed the clover. This will give you a good fall forage and you will have a good stand of clover next fall.

hubcap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.