1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Cutting acrylic

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

As long as the protective plastic is still on it, a table saw works best. Simply set up the fence and run it through. As far as drilling holes on the edge, depending on size of the piece, a mill would be the preferred method, but not many people just have a mill sitting in their garage. So, next best would be a drill press with a nice sharp bit, and make sure it's held down well or the bit will want to suck it up when it breaks through the other side. Hope this helps, Josh.

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Use the finest blade you can get.. The more teeth.. the smoother the cut..

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

drill a small hole and progress up in small steps.

4. len loma

len loma TS Member

I use a straight edge and razor knife and snap it perfectly. Don't cut yourself and score plastic several times as deep as you can. Lay against a nice sharp edge and snap like you do dry wall. Works for me.

5. Damifino

Damifino Member

My dad used to put a drop of vinegar on acrylic when he was (drill press) drilling it. I can't say if it is a wive's-tale or has any scientific basis; but it is cheap enough to try a hole or two to see.

6. bocephus

bocephus Member

So why did doggai delete his posts? He comes here and asks a question and receives answers then screws up the thread. Maybe others might like to know also.

I still think we should not be able to delete posts, we should have an hour to edit and after that we live with what we post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.