1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

OT: CPAP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by APrice, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. APrice

APrice Active Member

Have a relative who is going to need a CPAP machine. Need recommendation for specific models, including the headgear. Thanks.
  2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Oops, had to read this about 3 times before I realized it was not what I first thought.
  3. chemist

chemist Member

wife was on one. each individual finds their favorite mask, some have full over the nose, some have plastic pieces that fit into the nostril. When she first used it I would find the pieces strewn across the bedroom floor in the am and when I heard the " woosh" sound I knew she had ripped it off in her sleep. I just shut it off. She has since gone over to ProVent. Little stick on valves that also take getting used to but allow freedom of movement in case nature calls. Several people at the club use the machine and opinion varies. I will try and dig out the machine and see if I can find a manufacture name.

Rich K-
  4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Is wearing the device the only reprieve for peope who have this condition?
  5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Active Member

It took me about four nights to get comfortable with mine. I won't leave home without it. It can be life changing. I only need 6 hours sleep and can function very well. Before, I never had enough sleep and could fall asleep anywhere, anytime. The masks are always changing and improving. As stated previously, the masks are a very personal thing. I currently use the ResMed Elite ll machine (almost 4 years), which they don't make anymore. This is my second machine. Bill Malcolm
  6. hoot619

hoot619 Member

They are sure worth it. Good sound sleep may take a while to get used to it don't

give up. I had to wear a chin strap also with mine to keep my mouth . Didn't use

strap last night but will tonight.

I also have lazy breathing (there is a medical name for it) and my machine( a VPAP Adapt SV) takes

care of that also. I'm just getting back to using mine since surgery on knee. I

only can handle just so much at one time. Probably from my Finnish genius

outlook on life. One thing is important make darn sure mask fits you good, keep

trying til one fits perfectly. Just like your best trap gun. Ken U
  7. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Member

I have a cpap and a vpap ,and to tell the truth the vpap was easier to live with.Ive been useing it now for the last 5 years no problems.Its a resmed unit and you can find them on line.Your doctor should be able to help you out. Best of luck ..Ray
  8. primed

primed Active Member

I use a Resmed S8 with a Resperonics mask and am happy with it. I was going into atrial fib 4 to 5 times a year and the last time I was defibrilated, the doctor noticed that I wasn't breathing when she put me out. She sent me for a sleep study and they put me on CPAP. Sleep much better and have avoided atrial fib for two and a half years now. That's a record for me.

I would suggest that you tell your relative to get a written prescription for the equipment. My local sleep clinic charged me $2700.00 for the machine and I see where you can buy them online with a prescription for about $650.00. $650 is less than my deductible was on mine.

Good luck

Bob
  9. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

I use nasal pillows and like them a lot. I started seven years ago with a mask but little leaks would develop during the night that would tickle my eyelashes and wake me up, so I went to the pillow type. I slept like a baby the first night I had my machine and contnue to do so - no adjustment period was needed.

Once your wife sleeps with a machine, she'll feel uncomfortable without one.

Ed
  10. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I've used one daily for about 10 yrs. I won't go without it. As a matter of fact we had a power outage last night and I awoke about 3:00 a.m. because I was struggling to breath. No power until 4:30 a.m. so I am very tired today.

I got used to mine in less than a week. Mostly because I could sleep all night long instead of tossing and turning continuously. I wear the nasal mask. Its what I am used to and haven't felt the need to try something else yet. Tell your wife that it is worth the minor inconvenience of getting used to it.

Rem31TC
  11. Bill Hom

Bill Hom Member

I have the Res Med Autoset II EPR. It is small and very quiet. It also has a humidifier which I find most important. I use the Res Med face mask. I also have the 12V converter. I find that the only way that I can sleep without it is to sleep vertical. When I go anywhere overnight, it is the first thing that I pack. I've been using the CPAP for almost 10 years now. Bill Hom
  12. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Bill , where did you get your 12 volt converter? Is it the one they want you to

buy or did you get a different one. Sounds like our machines are about the same, have the humidifer also. Currently using at camp big bus battery running 2 machines with inverter. I got a used school bus battery sure beats a big trolling starting battery. Lasts a lot longer Ken U
  13. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

I am a Respiratory Therapist, and I own a company that is all we do is CPAP. In my opinion the best machine is the Resmed S9. It is the newest one out there and vaguely resembles a Bose Wave radio. They are right, the mask is very personal, there are over 2000 masks out there, do not let them stick your friend with a mask and not help them work out the kinks. They can exchange a mask at the start and get a replacement free from the manufacture. If CPAP or BiPAP does not work, 90% of the time it is the mask. If you breath out of your mouth at night you will need a fullface mask or nasal mask with a chin strap. Some of the big chains just try to put you on a machine and get you out the door, try to go to the small local guy, they will generally spend the time it takes to get you set up right the first time.
    Surgery is very painful and does not work on the majority of people. But if it does work it is naturally the best choice IMO. If you have questions PM me and I can talk to your friend. They are not alone, there are over 35,000,000 users in this country alone. My self included. Tim
  14. MBT-99D

MBT-99D TS Member

I have had my machine for just over 10 years now and struggled to get a mask I could be comfortable in for the first 2 years. I now use the "MIRAGE VISTA" for the last 5-6 years and couldn't be happier. If your reletive doesnt already have a mask picked out i would try this one first its a good start. I wish i would have known about it when i strated using my machine!
  15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I use the ResMed Elite S8 machine and whatever they give me with it for the rest. I use nasal pillows instead of a mask and no humidifier. Like previous testimonials, it has changed my life. Well worth it! Jack
  16. Bill Hom

Bill Hom Member

Ken U
    I bought it online, but it is the ResMed brand as they warn of damage to my machine if I was to go to somewhere like Radio Shack. Bill Hom
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.