1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - CPAP (aka "snore machine")

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

OT - CPAP (aka

The insomnia topic made me want to ask this question, since someone mentioned sleep apnea and CPAPs.

I've had a CPAP for a few years now, and just can't seem to get used to sleeping all night with it. Most people I hear about who get one of these things raves about how it changed their lives for the better. For me, if I can fall asleep at all with it on, I wake up after a few hours and have to take it off.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and been able to overcome it?

Danny

2. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

Are you sure your setting is right ? I also take a nasal inhaler before I go to bed which keeps my head open.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

OT - CPAP (aka

Try a different mask. I started with a "Sleep Comfort" that formed a comfortable triangle around my nose but it leaked a tiny bit of air around the bridge of my nose that tickled my eyelashes. They changed me to an Infinity 481 which is much smaller and actually goes into my nostrils about a quarter-inch. With it, I sleep like the proverbial baby except I don't wake up hungry or with a wet diaper during the night. I actually sleep straight through the night and often wake up in the same position in which I fell asleep.

One of my recent columns was about Sleep Apnea and I've received a bunch of reader mail about the subject. If you're male, over 40 and at all overweight, it's almost a given that you have it to some degree!

Ed

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

There are some people who cannot use a CPAP machine. When they tried to set me up they found out that I would require a BIPAP machine. This machine serves the same purpose as a CPAP but has 2 pressure settigs. As you exhale the pressure drops to allow you to exhale easier and then as you inhale the pressure comes up to force air in. You may want to ask your doctor about one of these. The other thing that I have found is now that I am on the machine the old kidneys and bladder still get me up several times a night but when I am sleeping I get more actual rest.
    --- Chip King ---

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

As a respiratory therapist I set up these CPAP's and it seems some people get used to the system quickly while some it takes considerably longer. Have you talked to the sleep lab that gave you your origional study? Maybe they could turn down your pressure. Do you utilize the "ramp" where it starts out at a low pressure building to the set pressure over the course of 20 min? Possibly a new/different mask would be helpful (as AverageEd suggested). Bottom line if you're having problems there are some things you can try. Good luck with the system.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Powerhouser

Powerhouser TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

I've been using my CPAP machine for about 8 months. I started with the nasal "pillows" that go into your nose. They made me nuts. Leaks were the worst problem and the noise would wake me up. I went to the "triangle" piece that goes ove the nose and that is alot better. I still don't sleep thru the night but I do sleep better. It is a hard thing for me to get used to. The wife is happier though, I don't snore at all.

7. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

I have over 12,000 hours on a CPAP. I'm lucky that I slept through the night from the first try.

I use the nose mask and one thing I have found is that if it leaks at all, the effectiveness is nearly zero. My masks (gel type) only last 3 - 4 months before they need replacing. Much longer and I can't keep them from leaking. Luckily my insurance will replace them every 3 months.

I may try a new type mask the next time around.

8. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

My experience is averaged with those above can`t sleep w/o it. still a little tired with it. Really have to maintain good sleep habits. Mask must fit near perfect. I tried a dozen masks before I had this one, still the seal is only pretty good. May take some getting used to. Worth the effort to get it right. Don`t snore anymore; NO ONE snored louder!!. It is a bitch because I got so tired I couldn`t even function well enuff to follow up on all the details of getting the Bi pap set, 20 over 16 with a 10 ramp. I cannot get to sleep w/o the 10 ramp.

9. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

I have gone from the CPAP machine to having the surgery removing my Ugula and some other tissue in the back of my throat. Just could not get that blasted thing to work properly. If it wasn't the mask it was the air was to dry or to cold which made my throat always sore. The water basins used for these didn't work which made the air to dry. After the surgery things were and still are great. Sleep like a baby. Had the surgery I believe 7 years ago. Now I'm saying the surgery worked great for me but may not be for others. Rich. (inPeoria, Az.)

10. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

Jackie,

There's a lot more to it than just lowering the pressure.

Sounds like you need a titration.

11. oz

oz Active Member

OT - CPAP (aka

MX/MT your insurance covers it? my retailer told me blue cross only covers the hose. i have been using the same mask for several years. I just ordered a new one on line. oz

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

OT - CPAP (aka

It's not an easy thing to get comfy with but the choices are "live" or "die"

13. PNT

PNT Member

OT - CPAP (aka

OZ

My insurance covers mask and hose for me also. (3-4 a yr) Blue cross...

You should check with your ins. provider/agent.

14. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

OT - CPAP (aka

I have had a CPAP for almost 7 yrs now, it works great when my ALLERGYS aren't kicking my A**.

I have used the humidifier from the start, for over a year now my allergys have had hey-feaver type symptoms, I have found that using a herbel health approach, I have been able to sleep through the night and actually go most of the day without needing to use over the counter sinus meds.

my approach was to use first an herbel remedy, and now tea's, and that if it safe to drink I can breath it. I started with an herbel remedy that is supposed to help with sinus's, it worked great for almost two months, and then nothing!

Now I am using tea's I brew them up just before going to bed and fill the humidifier with the hot tea, I have found that most work to some extend, and some of green teas from a CHINESE MKT near me exceed in making life better, I now as my wife says have a tea collection, as I do not want to use anyone of the teas so frequently that it looses effect, my favorite has Label that is all in Chinese so don't ask me what it is, it was one of the pricyer ones in the store.

CPAP it has channges my life for the better!

AL

15. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

oz,

I'm on my third insurance company and they all have replaced them 3 - 4 times per year, plus hoses, straps, and humidifier reservoir. I would check again, tell them it's broken if you have to. It took me a while to figure out that the masks were simply wearing out. I would screw with them and could not keep them from leaking. Now I know it just needs to be replaced. Immediate relief!

I will try to get the Infinity like Ed uses, sounds better if the nasal inserts don't cause a problem.

16. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

Ed - thanks for the advice. I have been using the Mirage mask for several years now but I ordered the Infinity 481 today to see if I like it better.

Thanks again

Dan

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

OT - CPAP (aka

Is there a web. site for the Infinity?

18. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

Shannon - I just did a search on "Infinity 481" and I found all kinds of stuff

Good luck

And good sleeping

Dan

19. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

OT - CPAP (aka

I personaly couldn't handle the cpap. Went thru 8 defferent masks and pillows,would have nightmares about things attacking my face. Had the surgery,it was painful but worth it,but I also use a snore guard to supplement the it.Jay

20. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

OT - CPAP (aka

I've had a cpap about 4 years. Started out it did great, but more and more it seems not to help much, but I still can tell a difference. I use the Activa mask which floats. I also are using those nose strips seems to be helping.
    Also Watch out for caffine which does hurt too.
    RailRoad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.