1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Coyotes vs German Shorthair

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FarmerD, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I was walking the fences on the place this afternoon checking condition and

GPSing the boundary. I had my German Short hair bitch with me, and always she

several hundred yards ahead of me checking things out. She had just

disappeared over the top of the ridge when I heard a yip. I ran to the edge

and coming up out of the canyon at full speed with one coyote on her ass and

closing on her flank. She headed straight for me and they were so intent on

catching her they didn't see me until she was with-in 10 feet of me. I

bellered and they came to a screeching halt. I took off after them bellering

like a banshee and the dumb little shit started after them, I had to call her

back. Needless to say I will borrow my buddies electronic call and be up

there with my 22-250 AI tomorrow. Scared the crap out of me, I thought that

I had lost her. Ben

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

You mean that you weren't packing???? I never go out around the place without wome kinda shooter with me, Never know what ya might fun across.

Gne J

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I had spaniels and the coyotes would try to lure them off. This worked until our Rottweiler came trotting out and took the coyotes on. Most of the time the coyotes scattered and gave her [the rotty] a wide berth. One day a coyote actually tried to take the rotty on... big mistake. The rotty bit the coyote in the neck and gave a shake... [wasn't a fair fight 90#'s vs. 45#'s]... we held a burial detail after that. The coyotes still come around [foothills of Los Angeles] but stay a few hundred yards away... even after many years. Fred

4. T/C

T/C TS Member

The perfect yote, in the scope, of my .308. 150 grains of Poooofffff. Disgusting Dirt Bags they are.

5. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I lost a Jack Russell this summer to the coyotes.

Bo

6. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

They are fearless. My wife had the dogs out and came in and said there was something big growling behind the house, I grabbed my 454 and went out and damn if there wasnt a big one standing there growling and looking mean. I live in a very populated area also that has lost a ton of pets, now I know where they went. threw a 2x4 at him and he ran away, he didnt show any fear till I threw the board though.

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Any of you guys know Bill and Nyla Johnson from Spokane? They had the nicest little Bichon Friese you could ever meet. God damn coyote snatched her up and ran off with her. Happened so quick they couldn't do a thing. If any of you guys remember Nyla Johnson you will know from her records that she isn't anybody a coyote wants shooting at them.Jeff

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

farmerD, to bad your female didn't have an a male we had when I was a kid. If that dude winded a coyote, the bird hunting was over and he went coyote killing. I killed several in my younger years. After getting out of school, I acquired a female that was almost as bad but finally broke her of it. Either of these could take an ole dog one on one but what I fearded especially with the female she'd find two!

9. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

We get coyotes around the house.Generally they seem to want to start getting close and making noise around 2 AM. I used to send one of the kids for spotlight, I'd grab the rifle and dispatch the critters. Even though I live in the country, one of the neighbors is given to call the county sherrif every time we kill one. What I have found works best and avoids police contact is to take the wife's cat put it in the pet carrier and set it out back. The coyotes just love cats. They will come up and try to get the cat out of the pet carrier. When they get distracted trying to get to the cat. I let our wolfhounds (4), loose and watch the carnage. Not only is it entertaining, but the cat seems to appreciate the rescue.
    Dan

10. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Dan,,you win first prize. I thought I knew of and heard of all of the ways to kill yotes, but yours is priceless!

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

When I took possesion of Mugs, my big German Wirehaired Pointer male, he still had the stitches in him from his rescue of his patron's Basset Hound. The 3 of them walked daily in a wilderness area near Huntington Beach Ca and one day several coyotes grabbed the Basset with intent to convert it into a meal. Mugs tore into them, they managed to slash him across his butt slightly but they backed off and the lady was able to rescue her Basset from them.

12. oletymer

oletymer Member

When we got our Jack Russels we found a breeder of Parson Russels. We wanted larger than the usual ones you see. The male stands 16 inches at the shoulder and the female just under 15 inches. They each weigh about 30 lbs. They got into it with a coyote and drove it off. When they fight they seperate and come from both sides. When the coyote went after one the other attacks. They drove the critter off. The male had to have a couple of stitches on his shoulder. When we finally got them to the house to check them they both had blood all over their faces so they had inflicted damage to the coyote. I guess the point is get two dogs, they stand a much better chance. We fenced an acre for our dogs to avoid future encounters.

13. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I lost my Apple Head Chihuahua last Spring to one of the SOB's. I let both my Chi's out to go pee & there had a been an old tom cat hanging around the house. They stepped off the porch & went to the side of the house & took off barking.
    Maybe 2 seconds later I heard them fighting & here comes one of my dogs running around the house. About that time I heard Cookie yelp & by the time I stepped off the porch & ran around the corner she was gone. Never heard a whimper anymore. I looked for hair or blood that night & searched the next 4 days & never found any sign of her at all.
    It was a coyote with pups I'm sure, but I could never find the den.
    There were 5 more dogs &/or cats missing from the neighborhood in the next 4 weeks. It's on the Atlanta news all the time. They are everywhere around there, just getting easy pickings from inside the city limits.
    I hate coyotes & I love all animals but a coyote is nothing to me.

i_shoot

14. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Coyotes are one of God's creatures, too. We invade their areas, then complain when they start feeding on our foo-foo dogs. I am a hunter first, a target shooter second, but see no point in killing song dogs for the fun of it... or for retaliation for perceived crimes.
    As far as I'm concerned, they can have every pet they can catch.
    If we keep our dogs on leashes and our cats in our home, then coyotes will be no more than a source of nocturnal aural delight. As pet owners, we have responsibility for our pets well-being. It ain't the coyote's fault, it be ours. [stepping down from soapbox]

15. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

code5coupe,
    Your are so full of crap, your eyes are crap brown. I live in the country on a section of land. This is my home and be it from beast or flat lander I will protect it. You flat lander, tree hugging, owl kissing butt heads stay were you belong, on the city streets. FD

16. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

My brother was the manager of Wichita Mountains Nat Wildlife Refuge in Okla, they were haveing a problem with neighbors cutting the fences and stealing the Elk from the herd they had on the refuge, so they put up wildlife cameras to catch them, and did catch quite a few, but on one of the cameras they caught a mtion picture of a coyote attacking a full grown elk cow, it bit the elk on it's neck, and held on until the elk died from asfixiation, the cow couldn't get the coyote off, it was trying to stomp it with it's front feet, but where the coyote bit it it couldn't reach it. It slung the coyote around like a rag, but it had a good hold, and killed the elk.

This is no BS, I saw the film

17. Loyac

Loyac Member

The perfect solution to those pesky coyotes and wolves. The Irish Wolfhound.

18. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

farmerD, the problem I have is that coyotes were brought here & stocked in South Georgia by DNR to cotrol over population of deer about 25 yrs ago & they are everywhere in Ga now.
    They are not a native animal & the state nor the DNR will do anything about the coyote problem. It's not only that they kill pets but are very detrimental to quail,turkey & farm animals.
    Around these parts a coyote in hated by everyone & like someone else posted earlier, A hunter will pass up a deer to kill a coyote

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I had a coyote go after one of my GSPs during on a quail hunt. My 120 lb yellow dog caught up to them and took care of the coyote before I could get there with the shotgun. Good reason to be prepared even on a routine excercise walk. (no you can't excercise a GSP on a leash)

20. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

wolfram,
    No truer words have been spoken, if leashed they may exercise you. When I walk my place I cover about 4 miles and I'm sure Heidi covers 20.

I went looking for the coyotes yesterday, taking my rifle and using Heidi for bait. Didn't see any of course. Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.