1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Coyote/Antelope

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Gil, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gil

Gil Member

Each morning I drive to the mail box to pick up my WSJ. Upon the return yesterday I saw two coyotes running along a fence next to the road. I could not get to my Colt .45 fast enough and they ran about 150 yards and stopped. I drove another 100 yds and saw a pregnant Pronghorn standing about 5 feet from the road with some blood on her legs and but. She would not move and seemed exhausted. I waited for the coyotes to return for 5 minutes. I then went home and called game and fish. They said she was probably sick and would die anyway. I returned to the antelope this time with my SIG. They (coyotes) were returning but when they saw me and left. I stayed this time for another 5 minutes and the Antelope who was now lying down seemed to get better. I went back home and called the neighbor whose back yard the coyotes seemed to like. When I returned the Antelope was gone and so were the Coyotes. I think she was OK and had just been run down. What I want to know is what load should I have in my 12ga. 3" browning for coyotes? How far can you kill them? Eventually, I expect to get a .17 cal. hi-speed varmit rifle, but for now, I would appreciate any advice on loads for my A-5. Thanks in advance. George Miller

2. Hippo

Hippo TS Member

Hevi-shot "Dead Coyote" 100 yards

3. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

10/4 Hippo's right. Scratch the .17 and getta .223 They'll bring'em down, but have had better success w/ .223 or 204. We quit using them 2 years ago.

4. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

buck shot. it will carry and have a good knock down. shoot all that you can.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

We always used 3" magnum 4-buck with a nice tight choke.

I did some searching on the Winchester page and found these extended range HD coyote shells.

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=SCXR123&bn=16&use=23

Either one will do the job. Just remember to hang on tight, they have just a little recoil.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I second the motion for #4 Buck. Even then the shotgun is a short range tool when it comes to coyotes, you'r better off with a rifle, anything from .223 up to .25-06.

John C. Saubak

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I used Federal Premium 3" mag #4 buck though a super full turkey choke.<br>
    <br>
    Pity you didn't have someone drive by and drop you off (slowing but not stopping) so you could hide and ambush the coyotes.<br>
    <br>
    It's times like this when you need a "truck gun", an inexpensive flat shooting centerfire rifle that you don't care about getting it dented or dinged. And I'm not being derisive about the term "truck gun". They serve an important purpose. As you have witnessed.

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Buckshot and I third the notion for 4 buck. n If you have choke tubes try the buck shot loads at 55 yards to see which gives you the tightest pattern. I have seen overchoke situations with full chokes. I suspect( although I have never patterned them) that a turkey choke will blow patterns. Try them and see what is best and good luck. Jeff

9. grammie

grammie TS Member

You don't want to drop them right there,,,,you want them to slink off and die hard away from your own house,,,Look,,,a 22 rifle with a good shot behind it can put lead into them beyond 200 yds,,I know!!!!

AKA Grammie.....

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Overchoking can blow patterns. Combine this with #4 buckshot varying greatly in quality, and payload.<br>
    <br>
    First, do not use 2-3/4" #4 buck. It contains only 27 pellets. Use 3" - it contains 41 pellets.<br>
    <br>
    Test with various chokes, and with various makes of shells. Try to avoid the bargin basement loads. They usually contain soft lead and no cladding, so they distort easily and open patterns up. I've found I can get an extra 10 yards simply by using Premium Federal loads over their standard loads.<br>
    <br>
    At 50 yards, I'm getting a pattern with Federal Premium 3" #4 buck that will lace a coyote from head to rump. With 41 pellets, and given the pattern is circular, this is the limit of *practical* range. A load needs to provide enough density to put a few pellets into the lungs.<br>
    <br>
    Even so, I consider the shotgun to be a close range ambush gun, particularly effective in thick foliage or in the woods. If I can, I prefer to use a rifle for longer shots. But, there are certain times of the year when you cannot hunt coyotes with anything but shotguns or rimfires in Oregon. This is because centerfires are restricted to deer and elk. I've considered a flat shooting slug gun for such seasons. The fully rifled 20ga guns appear to be ideal. They have more than enough power for coyotes, and are flatter shooting than the 12ga guns because of the smaller diameter of their slugs.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If I had to use a shotgun on them, I'd choose the Hevi-shot for the extra yards of penetration power. If calling them in closer, #2 coppers work well also, killed several with those out to 50 yards. Hap

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

this sounds ideal. link above.

brett d.

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Blizzard,

I used to have one of those years ago. It was chambered a little on the strange side. Mine was 30/30 over 20ga. I almost got in a lot of trouble with that gun. I got rid of it shortly there after. I would like to have another in 22mag over 20ga.

ec90t

14. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Could you share that story with us. it sounds like it might be a good one to tell.

15. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

Federal Premium 1-7/8 oz of copper BB's also works well. If you want to reload, Balistic Products has lead BBB's and lead "T" buckshot that works great. I do quite a bit of coyote calling with a shotgun and the "T" lead pellets are just about perfect in size for coyotes.

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Garg,
    When I was a younger man, I didn't have very much money (I don't know how that differs from now). I had that Savage and a 22 rifle where the only two guns that I owned. I was out deer hunting with the Savage when a DNR officer came walking up. Here in Indiana, deer hunting with a rifle is strictly taboo. The only reason that I didn't go to jail was that I didn't have a 30/30 shell on me or in my truck. The Officer believed me when I told him that I wasn't poaching any deer it was just the only suitable gun that I had. He told me that the gun was legal, but I shouldn't use it during Deer season. This was him being polite and telling me not to hunt with the gun. I sold it to a fellow in Kentucky shorty after that.

ec90t

17. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

ec90t, sounds like you got a good officer that time. I just wish there were more like him. Please don't get me wrong, the ones that I have met are good people doing their job but yes I have met some who take to much pride in what they are doing and think everyone needs a ticket. Glad he let you off.

As for shooting coyotes, buy a 10 ga. They will reach out 70 yards plus and kill what ever you want. They are not as bad on recoil as you might think. Yes the H+R single barrel will kick your ass but the Rem SP10 is a joy to shoot.

18. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bawana,

I think the officer took pitty on me when he saw my truck! Lol.

ec90t

19. tripdog7

tripdog7 TS Member

Could the pronghorn have been giving birth to some little ones? (seems like the right time of year anyway)

20. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago we had a lot of snow in Southern Alberta and the coyotes just about wiped out the Antelope. The season was shut down for a few years and only in the last couple of years has it re-opened but the quotas are still way below what they were before the winter-kill. Antelope need to paw down through the ice crust to reach the grass and are easy pickings for a pack of coyotes during a rough winter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.