1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Costco tires

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deadelk, May 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadelk

deadelk Member

Anybody buy tires from Costco? I have read that the price is good but warranty issues not taken care of very well. I'm gonna need new rubs for the Dodge Ram soon. By the way I drove to Vegas today 65 mph coasted down hills when I could and ended up at 23.6 mpg. Cummings diesel.

2. hunter870

hunter870 Member

Been using them exclusively for about 8 years and never had a problem with warranty. Any time I've had a problem they were quick to resolve it and the price was pretty competitive with other dealers. I recommend the lifetime balancing.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I buy mine at Costco but I buy Michelins and never have a warranty issue

4. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Membership has its privileges.

Purchasing your tires from Costco Wholesale, whether it be online or from one of our local warehouse locations, provides you with several key advantages. Our published retail pricing includes all of the shipping, handling and installation costs of your tires.

It also includes some Lifetime services that extend throughout the life of the tires you purchase. (Some limits may apply). These Lifetime services include inflation pressure checks, tire balancing, tire rotations, as well as flat repairs.

Upon the service of your tires our Michelin Certified Tire Technicians will also install new rubber valve stems (Note TPMS valve stems and accessories will be an additional charge). Additionally, we inflate your tires with nitrogen, not compressed air. Nitrogen retains tire pressure better over time than compressed air, which can positively impact the life of your tires, as well as the fuel economy of your vehicle. We offer this service FREE OF CHARGE.

Finally, for your protection, all of our tires are backed with the Costco Wholesale Road Hazard Warranty. See details.

Take full advantage of The Costco Advantage today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The final decision to install a tire on a vehicle will be made by the Costco tire center manager or supervisor. The tire must meet all vehicle manufacturers’ safety standards and specifications.

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

nitgogen fill for free, wish we had a costco

bill

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The only problem with Costco in my area is that they only have a couple of bays and since we haver Les Schwab tire centers I just can't see my way to dealing with Costco. The last time I went in to get my Costco tires rotated they wanted me to wait for 1 1/2 hours. I can't afford that kind of service! What good is all the crap they offer when you have to wait forever to get it?. Les Schwab is more and worth every penny. Jeff

7. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

That last line was a bummer for me. I tried to get a price for 265's for my 2003 GMC 2500 Diesel and the manager said he would not put them on my truck even though I currently have 265's that I switched on my truck when I first bought it.

Yep, 245's are the only authorized size for the 2003 GMC 2500's. What a little wimpy looking tire!!!

I am probably going to go to 285's. Anybody have any luck with the geo landers? Looking for a quiet all season road tire. My 4 X 4 sees minimal off road action.

8. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I have had good luck with BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A's. I ran into the same thing with Costco with regards to going up one tire size. I went to Discount Tire and they installed the tires I wanted with no problems. As for the nitrogen fill, I thought basic generic air already had nitrogen in it? I don't know how I made it this long without the nitrogen inflation treatment. I have bought tires from several places, but the worst place I have dealt with so far has been Just Tires. Good luck with your tire search.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Gentelman,
    Keep in mind that the "Michelin" you buy at Costco is not the Michelin that you would buy from a tire dealer. If you have a problem with a tire in order to get a exact replacement you need to go back to Costco. That is the case with any of the mass merchandizers. Some tips for buying tires that you may find helpful: Buy a major brand ie; Goodyear, Firestone,Michelin etc, you will be able to find a servicing dealer most anywhere. Buy from a local tire dealer they will be there when there's a problem, can't say the same about the mass merchandizers, Don't let anyone plug a radial tire from the outside in, it destroys the tire internally. Life time balance is a money maker for the dealer, as the customer it serves no real purpose. It's nothing more than away to get your car in the air to find problems that may or may not exsist. Find a local tire dealer that changes oil and have them rotate your tires every second oil change saves time, money and increase tire wear. If you live in an area of climate change increase your air pressuers by 4psi at Thanksgivng and reduce it in the spring, this will reduce slow leaks in the cold months. Thirty years in the industry you pick up a little knowledge,

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Our local Costco has a policy that you cannot make an appointment over the phone for their "Free" tire rotation. You have to make 2 trips to Costco, one trip to get the appointment and another trip later in the day for the actual tire rotation. I'm not gonna go through that BS again.

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I bought tires at my local Indiana Goodyear dealer and purchased all the warranties. I had a flat in Nashville and went to a Goodyear dealer there for "free" repair. They told my my road warranty was only good at the Goodyear store I purchased the tires at. I checked when I got home and it is true! Now I will buy my tires at Walmart, they are everywhere.

12. oletymer

oletymer Member

If Les Schwab had something other than off brand chinese tires I might go there.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have bought the last 4 sets of tires at Sam's Club and have never had better service or prices from any of the tire stores in the area ... The last tire rotation took them less time than I was in the store wandering around pondering what I had to have ... The people at Sam's club beat the local tire dealers prices by almost $225.00 on the same tires for the same car installed with all the adds and warranties besides ... I'm sold ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Les schwabe tires have saw the last of my business. I had 3 blow outs with-in three months of a set of 4 of their tires. I cost my insurance company and me 2,000 bucks to repair the damage. They wouldn't accept responsibility even though the tires were less than 9 months old. Screw them. BRGII

15. DJM

DJM Member

BRGII - So you bought on the cheap and now you are dissatisfied? But on the Bill Dawn thread you told us "I guess you fellows found out what greed can do. LOL BRGII PS My grand pappy told me "there are no free lunches son" ". Oh my, I wonder what grand pappy is thinking now? :)

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I service my cars and trucks myself . The tires get the air pressuer check every 4,000 miles or more . I run 5 lb over in the fall-winter . My wifes car got 76,000 miles on the first set of tires and have over 70,000 on this set (still look good) . My car has 26,000 miles on it and the tires are still new . I have never rotated tires in my life .

17. lockednloaded

lockednloaded TS Member

I had very good luck with Costco, then I moved to a town with one. Bummin.

I bought the tires for my BMW with lifetime balancing and road hazard. I ended up having all four tires get punctures in Mass, due to the poor roads. I got all my money back, and from 3 to 16 months free use of the tires.
    Best deal going. This was 7 years ago, though. Sounds like they have tightened up. No phone appts for free balancing. What a crock!

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Not all tires purchased from wholesale clubs are "club tires". We belong to the local BJ's and while they have some BFG, Uniroyal and Good Year tires you'll not find anywhere else, they also have the same tires the tire stores sell. I've bought my last four sets there - one set of BFGs and three Michelins - but I don't bother with their free rotation offer for the time reasons already mentioned. They usually only have one person on duty for sales and installations, so things move slowly.

They did do me right with their road hazard plan. I got a sidewall puncture in a Michelin Hydro-Edge with 45,000 miles on it just a few months ago. They are a 90,000-mile tire, so I was offered a new one for half-price but I didn't like the idea that one tire would be so much newer than the rest, so the guy at BJs did some creative mathematics with the tread mileage warranty and I wound up with four new Michelins for a little less than the price of three.

Ed

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Average Ed, most tires are in fact a club tires, as for a road hazard warranty none of the tire producers offer one. If you buy one it is only going to be good at the dealer you bought it from;unless you are buying from some type of coop that has a dealer network. 90K warranty you have again bought a milage warranty from the the club the tire mfg's will not stand behind that milage. The tire makers are all saying that the tire needs to be removed from the vehicle after 6 years, as the casing weaken from age. Don't be fooled by "creative mathematics" the club made money on your tires all four. As I said earlier in my first post the tire dealers will be there when you have a problem the same can't be said for clubs. They change brands based on the best price they can buy product at.

20. BWPBeretta

BWPBeretta TS Member

My son just got a tire replaced at Costco that had picked up a screw in the tread. They did not patch it, but replaced it for the sum of $1.00 for the 9 months he had driven on it. I have found them to be better than NTB etc as their road hazzard is by far a better value. I drive alot and need to have road hazzard that is honored where I am. I agree with you though if I could get this from a local shop I would but my state does not maintain roads very well the road hazzard is a must.