1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- Cost to replace O2 sensor?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Porcupine, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Any gear heads here? I have a 2000 Dodge Stratus (two kids in college) and the 'Check Engine' error code indicates that I need the O2 sensor replaced. The garage wants over $200. The part is maybe $50? How long does it take to replace one of these? Thanks for any help.

Porcupine

2. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I know they must be more difficult because the fellow that services my Avalon said it should be changed soon (65000 miles) but he said he didn't have time as he has to go thru the glove compartment to get to it and I suppose he has to take it apart to get to the area. glenn

3. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

On your Dodge The O2 sensor is on the exhaust It may require 2 of them.$200.00 is not out of line .First the tech must take another scanner to see the problem then go thru system check /replace O2 sensor then go back to scanner make sure it read with the on-board system in your car. All time consuming The tech know how to do it. You dont have trust in him and take the time to tell him that .

4. m70win

m70win Member

My 03 silverado has 4 of them,2 on the exhaust manifolds and 2 in the exhuast pipes.The auto parts guy ran a check for free and found the bad one, drivers exhaust which I changed myself. But it was an expensive part it has some kind of heater built into it.

Good luck Tim

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If i remember right the stratus 4cyl? its in the manifold up against the fire wall. Not the easiest place to get at. there is a secound one down stream also. here in coastal new england they are very rotted buy 7 years old and tough to get out. I highly recomend factory parts. Have had to many problems with after market.

6. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I am not trying to 2nd guess the tech but there are many things that can cause an O2 light. I.e lean condition, rich condition, etc..It may or may not be just the O2. I totally sympathize with you on the collage deal we put 2 through. I can finally eat red meat again. Good luck Jim W

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

There are four in my car, two upstream and two downstream. The upper two require taking lots of stuff off the engine to get to them. Bottom two are a bit easier. It costs $650 to replace all of mine.

8. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

Depends on where the sensor is, my 1995 Saturn SL1 has 1 right off the manifold and it took maybe 2 minutes to replace. Turned out it wasn't the problem though. I still haven't found the real problem, and don't really care either. It still drives and runs good so I am not going to worry about it. I've been driving the car for more then half a year with the problem and nothing is getting worse.

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

All data says you only have two and I believe said were behind the converter. as said above, may not be the problem.

Remove them and clean with a wire brush. Do not use a liquid to clean. Reinstall using anti seize and see if light goes off. Ray......

10. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Light stays on until you reset the computer. Do what X Trap says then take it to an Autozone and have them reset the computer. It is simple and takes 2 seconds with the scanner.

You should have one before the Cat and another one after the Cat. Yo ushould get two codes if both are out and the codes will tell exaclty which one threw the code.

BUT... do what X trap said. You may have ran rich or lean for somereason that made the computer throw it meaning the O2 sensor is fine. Clean them up, take it to autozone, have then clear the codes then drive it around until the check engine light comes on again. If it does, take it to autozone run the scanner, then buy the new 0s sensor. Your's should be around 70 bucks and you can buy it from Autozone.

11. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Post what code(s) is/are being thrown. One of the "zonz" will run a scan for free.

It being OBD II they are most likely heated and thus the cost. Depending on if they are in front or behind the cat, the car may not be adversely affected or it have any control over functions.

12. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I SEE SOME LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE FLYERS ARE NOW OFFERING RECONDITIONED O2
    SENSORS FOR $19.95. O2 SENSORS GENERATE VOLTAGE WHEN MIXTURE IS RICH. CODE FOR
    O2 VOLTAGE LOW MEANS SYSTEM IS LEAN OR O2 SENSOR IS BAD. "O2 SENSOR VOLTAGE READING HIGH" MEANS YOU ARE RUNNING RICH AND O2 SENSOR CANNOT BE BAD BECAUSE IT IS GENERATING THE VOLTAGE SIGNAL. MOST LATE MODEL CARS HAVE 3 OR 4 WIRE O2 SENSORS. THEY CONTAIN A HEATER COIL TO WARM UP AND KEEP THE SENSOR AT OPERATING TEMP. IF THE HEATER IS BAD THE SENSOR WILL READ LOW VOLTAGE AND NEED TO BE REPLACED AS WELL. IF THE POWER OR GROUND WIRES TO THE SENSOR HEATER ARE
    BAD , YOU GET THE SAME RESULT. ALOT OF O2 SENSORS GET CHANGED AND CHANGED AGAIN
    UNTIL THE TECH FINALLY PERFORMS THE PROPER DIAGNOSTIC CIRCUIT CHECKS AND CORRECT THE LOOSE GROUND OR CORRODED TERMINAL CONNECTION ETC.

13. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Lugnutz, you can have a high voltage reading and the sensor still be bad. That being said an O2 code is one of the most difficult to diagnose, unless its a heater code. $200 to just replace without diag is about right. The original factory sensor is at least $100 and $80-100 labor is about right at the prevailing labor rates.

Steve

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Your being over charged, but unless you have a lift and tools to replace the O2 your at there mercy. Have them clear the code and see if it resets, if it does than you need to find a place to work on the car and some box end wrenches. See if you can get them to tell if which sensor is bad.

15. porky

porky TS Member

You have to clear/reset the computer in order for the light to go off.

16. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I would also suggest as other have above that you stick with factory parts. I have an 89 GMC suburban that would turn on the check engine light when climbing hills. Code indicated lean exhaust. Changed the filter, checked fuel pressure while climbing a hill (check engine light on) all was fine. Changed out the aftermarket O2 sensor and installed a GM version, problem solved.

I am alway looking to save a buck on auto and other parts where possible, but have just had too many problems with certain items to not use original manufacturers parts.

Good luck with you effort.

Kerry

17. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Glad i will never have to worry about sending kids through college,I will never be able to afford it.and stil scrip and save to have maintenance done on my 93 sonoma.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.