1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- cost of roof

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rrose, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrose

rrose TS Member

I am wondering what the average is now days for the cost to replace an 8 year old roof on a bilevel home, 2 car garage, 3 bed, just a small average or less than average size home in Northern KY. Only has 2 V's to deal with and the crown roof vent. Would like to get dimensional upgraded shingles, tired of fixing the roof when the wind blows off the builder grade shingles.
    I appreciate your help again.
    thanks
    randy

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Knowing the square footage of the house would help. If the house and attached garage has a footprint of say 40'x60' that would be 2400 sq feet. That's at least a place to start.

Eric

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'd say in the 4K-5K range for shingle removal, fix any decking, repaper, and install new shingles. They bid those jobs by the square (10'x10').

ss

4. warren

warren Member

I did mine and it cost 8 grand for 100 mph wind shingles, it was stripped down to the wood and done right but it cost a lot of money.

warren

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A roof replacement say in Washington DC is a high price. If you go a a small town it is going to be a very low price to DC. Its all where you live. When you start to get roofer coming in check if they have insurance, bonded and do a background check. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If you know any contractors or go down to the county inspector and ask them who is good and who is bad. They will know. Doing those things will save you alot of money. My roof was around $65,000.00 Sorry but I'm not joking. I had a metal roof put on and if I could have come up with the money I would have put a copper roof on. That was $89,000.00.

6. Zoltan

Zoltan Member

We just had our roof replaced. Two layers of shingles, total tearoff. The shingles we chose are metal with a 50 year warranty. Here is the link to their website. Don't know if they are in your area, but we are very pleased with the results.

http://www.erieconstruction.com/product.htm

Good luck with your project
    Roger Edgington

7. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

$65,000.00 for a roof.Where does it end? And the gov,t says inflation is down--can any of you say it's not costing you more just to survive?

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

In '07 I had a 2300 sq ft split level done (27 squares) in Ohio for $5800. tear-off, new drip edge, ice seal, 2 flashings and ridge vents. In 2008 I had a 2200 sq ft split level done(26 squares) in Maine for $7800, same extras, 50-year, dimensional, Elk brand on both. Just FYI. Geography matters-

Kip

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My roofing contractor does about 10% of his work in new tear offs that were installed improper. ( homeowners find out the first big rain]. He comes in with about twenty guys, porta john, boom truck and lots of tarps to protect siding and landscape, Most roofs are off and on in one day. ( sure beats having bubba and billy bob camped in your yard for two weeks.}

Check the BBB. Ask around at the major suppliers who's good. (not lowes or Home depot}.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

First, as was said, figure how many squares you need. If you've got one layer of roofing, code allows and the existing sheathing is in good condition - no leaking... consider putting the new roof over the old - thats a good potential savings and despite what you might hear, it does not void the new shingle warranty - call GAF or any manufacturer and ask...

I think when I did my roof (roof-over) outside Chicago... it ran @$125/sq installed with a 30 year architectural shingle and a powered roof vent.

Hope that helps...

Jay

11. docjonsn

docjonsn TS Member

what Rich is suggesting is good Idea. It is called Ice and Water shield.I like Gracie brand (not the cheapest but not the most expensive ether).also have your roofer use the same product to seal under any valley flashing and roof penetrations.(around vent pipes,roof vents and skylights)If you have a brick chimney have them replace the step flashing.
    I am a building contractor and have built homes all over the U.S.these steps are not the cheapest why to go but you should not have to worry about your roof for a long time
    Pete
    Ps any questions drop me a email

(when you have the new roof replaced you might consider using the special membrane that prevents ice from walking up under the shingles- sorry I do not remember the trade name-I live in NJ and although it added to the cost I feel it was worth the money spent in peace of mind- I made roofer go up two strips wide- friends in Balt did not use it as they thought weather was not severe enough and they had ice damage- just an idea )

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

4' of ice guard is code in MI.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Just to let you all know the SF is 4600. There are 3 sections of roof on this house. It took them 45 days + to finish the job.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Tear off is a major expense- and one that isnt particurally needed

If you put on a metal roof- they are so light but strong- you wont need tearoff-

I have had different metal roofs on two different houses- both are top of the line type roofs- really a very nice thing- no maintenance- adds actually racking strength to the roof decking itself because the metal is affixed to a another roof panel thus causing a bridging affect-- We had a tree fall on the roof and the decking wasnt penetrated

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

$4-7K depending on the details. Get 3-5 quotes and insist on ALL the details being listed on the quote (tear-off, drip-edges, flashing, felt paper, shingle brand and years-rating). Tear-off is always best but one layer can be covered-up if you are cash-strapped and are certain the wood is good. For the last two roofs I had done, the quotes varied drastically - 250% in one case and almost 300% in the other.

Sound confident and informed when you deal with contractors and BE THERE when they do the job. I once watched my neighbor's house down the street get re-done and his "low bidder" covered up rotten wood with tar & shingles -- didn't even use felt paper or ice & water shield, which is code where we lived. Outrageous. When the owner got home from work I told him they butchered his roofing job while the contractor was standing right there. The contractor told him I was a liar & "gave his word" that the roof was done right. I offered to pull a few shingles myself and pay for repairs if I was wrong, but the gullible owner declined. Less than 3 years later I watched another roof get put on the fool's house and he had to pay for it all over again (low-bidder was out of business, go figure).

In any case, you don't get what you don't pay for, so do your homework ang get a square deal on a professional job. Good luck.

-Gary

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Bigger companys charge more, Overhead, workmans comp, they pay their taxes... usually they have been around longer, so their ten year warrentee might mean something.

Being a mason contractor,
    I know of more than a few deals where Homeowners insurance had to cover injuries or death from contractors claiming their subs or workers were covered.

A twenty year old kid killed while roof topping shingles last season. His metal ladder touched the servise wire (poorly insulated from age}. Edison, the Homeowners and the roofer were sued by the poor kids parents.

Some of my clients have wavers made up for contractors to sign before work starts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.