1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Cordless Tool Battery Charging

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TC, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

Craftsman 18 volt cadmium cordless drill battery states: "Charging time 3 to 6 hours". How do I know when it has fully charged? Can it be overcharged? I don't use it every day, is it better to leave it fully charged or discharged? Tony

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Is there an indicator light in the charger that goes on or off when fully charged? If not then 4 hrs charge time should be at least sufficent. A fully charged Nicad battery will lose it's charge over time so leaving it fully charged is of no real value. Letting the battery get fully discharged and then charge it up when you need it will help in maintaining battery life.

Eric

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I must have overcharged a Skil 14.4v cordless drill, ruining the battery and the charger. A new battery costs $40 and a new Black & Decker drill with cord costs $40. For infrequent around home use, I gave up on cordless...just drag an extension cord around. Regards, Ed

4. IM390

IM390 Member

Newer batteries are better for not overcharging and they hold their charge longer. Unfortunately, their price doubles.

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

TC most of the time the blinking light means it is charging and whenever it stays solid then it is fully charged or at least on a Dewalt.

I used to use mine every day and it stayed on the charger all the time but really I think it shortens the life of them by leaving them in the charger all the time but I had no choice back then because it was used all day long so I had 3 more batteres on stand by but today since I don't use one much I just wait to charge it a short time before I know im going to use it.

Foghorn

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My Craftman charger has a red light for on charge and a green light when charge is complete. For those of you that have rechargeable batteries that no longer work I will post a way to charge them. I bought the info off ebay and tried it and it worked. I'm home for lunch right now but will try to post it tonight. It's simple but done wrong could cause a minor explosion. Jackie B.

7. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Please enlighten us Jackie. I have a bunch of 18 ryobi batts that won't charge anymore. It would be great to revive them. JD

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Will we be having this problem with $ 8,000 hybrid car batteries in a year or two?

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I wouldn't put much faith in bringing the dead back to life but the power cells inside the battery can be replaced.

10. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

dickgtax, you can bet that I won't be having a problem with hybrid batteries in a year or 2, and probably forever.

11. TC

TC TS Member

I agree that a corded drill is better, but running a extension cord a mile out in the pasture when working on a windmill is tough. The Craftsman charger I have only has a single red light which seems to stay on as long as it is plugged into an outlet. Never noticed it turning color or going off. Tony

12. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

JD: I have alittle experience with cordless batterys. There is a + and - just like a car battery. Most chargers have a sensing circuit and if they don't see alittle voltage it won't charge. So take a car battery and use a wire with alligator clips and touch + to + and - to - at the same time for about 10 seconds then stick on charger. While I was in the army I had D cell flashlight batterys and held them in my hand and touched to 12 volt battery until they got warm. Worked for another week then did it again. Was out on manuevers so didn't have a chance to buy new ones. Don

13. Shooting Jack

Don, I did that but it would only set the charge for that time but by following the directions on the battery charging thread it will make it work again. Jackie B.

14. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

My Dewalts have given me the best life, run time, and torque of any cordless brand. I buy used drills from the pawn shops and new batteries off of Ebay. So far, good luck for years.

15. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I've got a cordless 14.4 volt drill from RIDGID. It fully recharges in 20 minutes or less. Works great.

Easystreet

16. Shooting Jack

Omaha, I think the Dewalt is the best myself but even those batteries will go bad and they are repairable.(My son's carpentry shop has about 12 of them) But they are around $75.00 in the new type and have a much longer life. I may be wrong but I think Rigid and Ryobi are the same, just different name.(I have one of each and they will work off the same charger and are two speed.) Jackie B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.