1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ot-Cooking a prime rib?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Tomorrow is my B-day, the big 65-any way got an 8 lb prime rib the boss is in a panic!!! what is the best way to cook it in an electric oven, rare---to medium rare---Phil

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Use a digital meat thermometer which you can get at target. Put the probe in the center of the meat. Oven preheated to 350-375 degrees. Roasting pan. When internal temperature hits 133 pull it out and let it sit on the stove top for 15 minutes. It will continue to rise in temperature to about 145. Then carve and enjoy. Jake

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

in a restaurant they often cook an entire quarter to actually get it rare ( I worked in one)

now you wont really get that in an oven but you want a very lightweight pan if you are going to attempt it- one of those disposabe tinfoil like ones- so that it wont retain heat- the more heat you retain the more well done the outside will be

If you can get a rack to put in the pan that will help also

now Jake had the right advice about a meat thermometer -- but I would also tell you- dont be afraid to cook it at a lower temp - maybe 325-- it will take longer but the meat will be more uniform

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Gene's advice on temp is good. Especially, if you want it more uniformly cooked to medium rare. The lower temperature will make the roast more consistent edge to edge. My family likes it dead rare and a little more done around the outside.

5. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Phil, dry rub it the night before. Cooking it at higher temperatures usually makes the roast medium done on the outer part of roast even if medium rare on the inside core of the roast. Lower temps make the roast more evenly cooked from edge to edge. You can start off at a higher temp to help with browning, but lower temp to 250-275 for a longer roasting time for more even cooking and a juicier roast. Put some liquid in bottom of pan to keep drippings from evaporating, and to serve as your au jus. Thermometer is critical to get the internal temp right for level of doneness. Allow for raise in temp after roast is pulled from oven.

6. Zuzax

Zuzax Member

325 @ 20 minutes per pound. Check internal temp, should be 130-135. Works like a charm every time!!!

Happy Birthday!!!

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Bocephas, You are right about wanting the temperature to be 140. But if you let the internal temp get to 140 on the thermometer before you take it off, it will continue up to over 150 and it will be medium to well done when it rests for 15 minutes. You have to take it out about 10 to 15 degrees below the final intended internal temperature. It is also important to "rest" the meat for 15 minutes or so before you slice it. That lets the juices set in the meat and makes it more juicy. If you slice when it is still heating, right out of the oven, the juices just run out and it is much dryer. Jake

8. bear2

bear2 TS Member

Take meat out of the frig,4-5 hours before cooking.Let it warm up.It will shorten cook time and make it more uniform.Cook at lower temp (325).Happy b day
    Barry

9. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

One of the best prime ribs I have had in a long time was at deer camp this year. The oven didn't work so the prime rib was cooked on a grill outside. There was enough prime rib for 10 people and it was cooked for approx two hours.

10. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I did my first prime rib for Christmas. Cut and bury about 50 garlic cloves into the surface of the roast, rub on a light coat of olive oil and liberally sprinkle on Lawry's Seasoning.

Save me an end cut.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you put it in at 450 and reduce the temp to 300 when you put it in it will have better end cuts. I like the outside seared. Next time Im going to stick it under the broiler, uncovered first for 7-8 minutes to char it.

HM

12. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Phil, do it like they did in the Marine Corp, boil it until it turns green and then serve it with mashed potato's and green beans!

Rick

P.S. Happy Birthday!

13. byteme

byteme TS Member

Happy Birthday. Learned this recipe from Melinda Lee who hosts cooking programs from Los Angeles. I know it seems strange, but this is the best roast we have ever had, my wife has cooked roasts this way a dozen times, and it's simple. Bring the roast to room temp in the butcher paper wrapping it came in. Pre heat the oven to 500 degrees, yes 500! for at least 1/2 hour, you want that sucker HOT. Salt and pepper to tast, place in a shallow baking pan and put it in the oven, uncovered, for 5 minutes per pound, or for your 8 pounder, 40 minutes. Then turn the oven off and LEAVE IT IN THE OVEN FOR 2 HOURS. DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR DURING THIS TIME. The meat will be medium rare in the middle and very juicy. Use the 2 hours to open your gifts since you don't have to screw around in the kitchen. Bill

14. DB3006

DB3006 Member

If you need to cook whole thing this might not be your best choice. We often cut one that size in half. Any ways try this... season it the way you like then sear it in a cast iron frying pan untill all sides/ends are brown then place the pan with the meat in your preheated oven at 400 degrees for 15mins remove from oven and let stand for 10mins. The ends come out medium and as you work your way to the middle it gets to be rare. DB3006

15. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

The high end resturants do it like I do it. Remove the bottom rac of your fridge. Place your meat uncovered for at least 7 days in there. Make sure you tie string tight between the ribs.At the end of this aging process you can then trim the dried meat off the roast.At this point you season and MUST bake @ 200 for a long time.It's worth the extra time! Always use a meat thermometer...This is how they do it at Mortons and Ruth Cris....Nuc

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You will have to trust me on this one. Pre heat the oven to 500 degrees. Cook roast 5 minutes per pound 8lbs x 5 = 40 mins. at 500 and shut off oven. When the oven is cold take the roast out and serve. HMB

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Never had a home made one that really had that 4 star taste and tenderness of the high-end steak joints. I know a steak house that has a blackend-cajun king cut that will knock your socks off, and cuts with a butter knife. Goes good with crusy bread and a crisp Stoli martini or several.

18. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Thanks guys, by the way Shannon 391 think twice about Stoli---they have a problem with quality control---don't buy any Stoli thats bottled on Tues. they watch Mon. nite football----Phil

19. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

My way is to take it out of the fridge in the morning and rub it with salt, pepper, garlic and parmesan cheese, then put it in a plastic shopping bag with a lil flour, salt and papper and roll it around until it is uniformly coated.
    Let it sit and warm up in the bag for at least 3 hours then put it in a roasting pan, then into a 500°F oven for 20 minutes. After the 20 minute searing, turn the temperature down to 300°F until the meat thermometer shows 130°F...take it out and let it rest for at least 15 minutes....perfect every time!

20. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

Hey Lagarto it must have been a really long time since you bought a true prime rib---I don't know if I got ripped off bu this 8 pounder cost me $120.00 in NC---Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.