1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Computer Spyware Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TC, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TC

TC TS Member

Is there any Anti-Spyware software that will block spyware? I have Ad Aware which will remove tracking cookies after the fact but it doesn't block them.

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

There's many of them, the only catch is that you will have to pay for them to work in real time.

3. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Here's a free one at the link above, and it's realtime protection. Been using SpywareBlaster for years. As to the system protection option of SpyBot (it's called TeaTimer or something like that), I never could get it to work correctly. Good luck.

[EDIT} It's fully functional and free, currently 10,597 malware signatures are in the database. But you have to remember to update it manually every few weeks. To update automagically, you have to pay. Install, update, then go to protection status. Enable all protection and close the program. That's it. I don't think I've had anything worse than a tracking cookie in, oh, 7 years or so.

4. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

What you're looking for is a full-blown security suite from McAfee, Symantec or Trend Micro.

Frankly they're sometimes a mixed blessing, often causing more problems than they prevent. I don't use or recommend any of them to my consulting clients. I don't like them because of the performance hit they put on machines. In their rush to outdo each other, sometimes they lose sight of their original purpose: to prevent and detect infection. Put it this way: would you give up 10% of your machine's performance to block spyware and viruses? How about 20%? 30%? That's the rub. Not to pick on one product, but I've seen low-end laptops take five minutes or more to finish booting with Trend Micro running all their stuff.

Smaller products are sometimes useful, but often too narrow in scope.

Bottom line, I don't know of a perfect answer to your question and suggest that people scan their machines with removal tools like Ad-Aware, Spybot and others.

That's just opinion, of course, and I'm sure others have different ideas.

5. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Bob, with respect, phooey on security suites.

As you say, they're a burden on the system and try to do too much. To my mind, something like SpywareBlaster and an occasional manual scan with AdAware and Spybot is good enough. Nothing's perfect and it may eventually let something through, but it's good enough. Assuming, of course, one's browser settings are sensible and you're not deliberately visiting shady sites.

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I have used softspy for the past 5 years or so and have had no issues. It was a one time fee of like $20.00 back then and it is good for life. It looks like it is ranked pretty well amongst the programs although XoftSpy probably wrote the report. LOL

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try Blink from e-eye (www.eeye.com)

It works in a rather unique way - instead of comparing to a known list of viruses or spyware it monitors the system actions of the computer - if it sees an action which is unexpected it will notify you.

There is a free version for individuals - businesses need to buy it (this is an advanced version - OK for individuals to purchase as well - I suggest try the free version - if you like it, then consider buying the premium one)

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Just to be clear, I didn't recommend a full security suite. Personally, I don't think they're worth the load they put on my system. Generally speaking, they're way overbuilt for what they intend to do.

I agree that a periodic removal scan is probably the best way to deal with this problem unless spyware symptoms appear, such as unexplained popups, an unexplained change to your home page, and so on. Lately, Spybot has worked as well as any for me, particularly for SmitFraud, which is annoyingly common.

We're on the same page, guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.