1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: computer question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jerbear, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Your computer hard drive needs at least 10% for what they call a swap file. If you have alot of RAM (Random Access Memory)1 gig at least you can delete your swap file and let the ram become your swap file. No your D drive will not automatically come into play.You need to move your My Documents folder over to your D drive as it should have been already. Just in case you have to format your C drive you will not loose your data. Anything you can move data wise, such as pictures, music,ect... get it off your C drive and then run disk cleanup and scan disk and lastly Defrag your C drive.

Once everything is moved to your D drive, either copy and paste or split your screen and drag and drop, then right click on your c drive and go to properties and tools. run disk cleanup, Scan Disk, and Defrag. Your computer will run faster and you will free up some space on your C drive. I assuming you are using Win98se or Me. If your using XP it's a not that much different in directions. Let us know what's going on.

Jerbear

2. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I would recommend moving the page file to "D" as well. It seems that no matter how much RAM you have, your OS wants "some" page file space. System Properties -> Advanced -> Performance -> Settings -> Advanced -> Virtual Memory -> Change. Set "C" to No page file. Set "D" to Custom Size and enter 1024 for initial AND maximum size. (It's recommended to set page file size to 150% of total RAM. I have 1G of RAM dual-channel and find 1 G page file size is plenty.) A single size setting essentially eliminates the problem of page file fragmentation. See web page above. Good luck.

3. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Aslo, you can go to Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and see if there are any programs you had downloaded in the past and are not using. If so, delete those before the defrag and the rest.Ray

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Wireguy,

That would make your computer 56 computer years old. I have always felt computers are like dogs, 7 to 1.

500 Celeron is the CPU, and the front side bus is 233.

Regardless of how much space you free up, you are shooting trap with a .410 and all your mates have 12 Ga. You are at a disadvantage.

I don't know your situation, but good suggestions have been delete any programs you don't use, move the virtual memory (swap file) to your d: drive since it sounds like you have one. Not all systems do. You could also plug a memory key (also called thumb drive) in and use it for the swap and temporary storage, but your system is probably 1.0 USB and pretty slow.

Also, try go to start, accessories, system tools and run delete temporary files. Check over the various boxes and select what works for you. I don't like to compress files, but do delete just about anything else. Then a good defrag and things will be about as fresh as possible without a format and reload.

If your monitor is good, you could probably upgrade significantly for not much dough. I personally would stick with XP Pro unless you just like delving into new operating systems. I have Vista Business and XP Pro, use both, but keep XP on anything I use seriously.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Wireguy

You can get an external drive and move any files you wish to archive over to that, or burn them to CD or DVD if you have a burner. Don't delete anything until you verify it's been copied.

There is something else you can do as well, to free up a little space. Windows likes to set aside a good portion of your drive for the system restore feature and temporary internet files as well. You can decrease the amount of space that these functions use by going to Settings/Control Panel/System/System Restore and then selecting your C: drive and other drives as well. You can enter the settings for the drive and decrease the amount of room that has been set aside. The Temporary Internet file space can be adjusted by going to Control Panel/Internet Options and selecting the Browsing History Settings and adjusting the amount of space allocated for these files.

Some other suggestions might be to install a larger hard drive. It's usually not that expensive if you can figure out how to do it on your own. Most of the drive manufacturers can provide the software to copy everything over intact.

6. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

With respect, all the suggestions given above are really basic. Nobody's advocated any questionable settings.

Wireguy, re your question about moving picture files to "D". Jerbear mentioned moving "My Documents" to "D". Your pictures are probably in My Documents\My Pictures, no?

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Wireguy, This is "Swami" Hauxfan.

Looking into my glass ball, I see a new computer in your future....... (;-)

Hauxfan!

8. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

A nifty program for moving files around is Windows Commander. Do a search and you can get a portion of it to try. I use my main hard drive for programs and then try to save all of my letters and pictures to drive D. Simple to transfer from C to D and you can see the file names. Michael

9. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop or the My Documents entry in the Start Menu. Properties -> Move. Choose the "D" partition. Okay.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Wireguy, I just got a new computer a couple of weeks ago that my son built for me, and it really is fast. Love it!

The only bad thing about it was...........he made me pay for all the components........lol

Which I gladly did.

Hauxfan!

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

bobdog, this is not a trapshooting question and there are alot of MCSE or as they call them now MCSA ( Microsoft Certified System Administrator) or other admins/ builders here. Do a search you would find that alot of people here has received great advice to repair their machines by themselves, free.

JMHO...Jerbear

12. whatta_attitude

whatta_attitude TS Member

Well said jerbear see ya at VVC...Sandie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.