1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Computer monitor problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Holypatterns, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holypatterns

Holypatterns TS Member

Problem with computer setup here......after computer has been switched on for an hour or so, the monitor begins to display a pronounced flickering, followed by streaks of white light, followed by the entire screen flashing very bright white light. The monitor is a "Samtron" CRT type. Should I be looking for a new
    monitor, preferably a flat screen type or is the problem in the central processing unit? Maybe a small fan to improve cooling would do away with the problem.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

How old is the monitor? Sounds to me like it is the monitor. Get a new flat panel monitor and try it. If the problem still happens then you already have a monitor for your new computer.

Eric

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Could be the monitor or a deteriorating video card. I don't know your computer but some video cards, assuming it's not built into the motherboard, have a small fan to cool the card. If that fan stops working the card overheats and you get all kinds of artifacts on your screen.

Obviously its easier to try a different monitor as your first step.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

probably the monitor- how old?

If you have another monitor- switch it and see if you have a problem to rule out the video connection (either card or motherboard)

If you have another video card- you could plug that in also and try it

Having said all of that- been there and done it- it is probably the monitor

Get a new one- they about give them away

regards

Gene

5. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

Some monitors have a degaussing feature. Give this a try to see if it solves your problem.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

With monitor on for a while, run you hand back-and-forth across the screen. If no static build-up, probably ought to use it for a boat anchor.

The CRT is about a think of the past, as the new LCD's ar easier on the eyes and run a hulluva lot cooler.

Whiz

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I got the new computer and the flat panel and did not like it. I put my CRT back in use. Others I have talked to have done the same. To each their own. Ray.....

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

X Trap.........You put your old CRT back into use and you know others that have too????

Wow, you must hang around with a different group.

I know of no one who would ever want to go back after having switched.

As you say though, to each his own.

Hauxfan!

9. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Not sure if this is related, but if I do not turn on my monitor FIRST, then the cpu, I get a slightly jumpy/shaky appearance to my screen. If I start the monitor first and then computer, never a problem. It appears the monitor is not making a full connection if done the other sequence. Anyone know about this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.