1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT computer help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by balance365, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balance365

balance365 TS Member

I have been having a bunch of problems with the computer. I can't get Windows updates to install, performance is reeeaaallll slow, got a message from ISP that spam is being sent from my computer. I have run Macafee, Norton, Xsoft, Spy sweeper, and can't find the bug(s). I am thinking a wipe clean and reformat is in order. How hard is that to do or something to leave to experts?

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I used to have all of those problems. Since switching to an Apple I can honestly say I have none of those problems!! I would take the computer to an"expert" and go from there. Ed

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Do you have DSL, cable, or dial up.

When I update at the shop with dial up....yea it's slow.

Check to be sure you're not running the two anti-virus packages at the same time.

Also, from Jerber's suggestion, I began using the free version of Adaware. The first time I ran it, it found over 200 pieces of ad-ware (pop-ups and such). There was a difference....like day and night.

4. balance365

balance365 TS Member

I have cable, but it doesn't matter whether I am online or not, just booting up can be an ordeal.

I only run Spy Sweeper all the time, using the others as secondary.

I do have original install CD, its an early XP.

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

try AVG software --free--for antivirus. also microsoft has a free program that you can download to clean the machine. it's free for a 90 dray trial. forgot the name but go to microsoft website and look around. something like life alert ??? motordoc

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Sounds like too many start up programs. Have you tried going into safe-mode during the re-boot?

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It sounds like you have a bug. The easiest way to get rid of it would be to wipe the drive clean and reinstall Windows. You would need to be sure you have all of the extra software install disks or files you would need to put it back where it was. You would also want to back up any files you would like to save onto another drive or external media. It's not a job for a beginner, but can be done if you have someone with experience to fall back on.

You can go to www.trendmicro.com and do their online "housecall" scan. It may find and remove whatever bug you have aquired. You may also need to disable system restore and flush any temporary internet files before the scan. One caution thogh, when you disable system restore, you will not be able to revert back to a previous restore point. If the problem just started, you might be able to go back to a recent restore point and fix the issue that way. I doubt that it was a recent development, since your ISP would take some time to notify you that you are infected.

Once you resolve the issue, be sure to do all of the updates and use a good Antivirus program. A good free one is AVAST from Alwil software. If it's Windows XP, be sure to install the SP2 update before doing the other updates. Some of the older updates are included in the SP2 package.

I've included a link above, to a list of security companies with AV and Spyware offerings. It's certainly not all inclusive, since there are more than these available. Some will be able to clean your system and some, like Panda, will just tell you if you are infected.

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Here we go again... a clean computer is a happy computer. This is what I hand to my clients after I have cleaned their machines.

Adaware... http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Spybot... http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10122137.html

Copy and paste the above URL's.

Above are the two spyware removers. Download and update them. You can run them and let us know if these help.

For instructions, after you install the programs you can go to the help tab and read the tutorials.

*** Turn off system restore. To do this, right click on the “My Computer “ icon and go to proteries go to the system restore and put a check in turn off system restore. Don't worry we will turn it back on later.

You may need to give more room for your IE cache since your on cable. Go to tools>internet options>under temp internet files click on settings and give it around 450-500megs.

Now go to Temp Internet files and delete all ofline content. Delete cookies.

Now go into the Privacy tab and click on advanced. Check the box to override auto cookie handling. tic the Allow first party cookies, tic Block third party cookies and check allow session cookies. Ok yourself out.

When was the last time you did a scan disk? To do this, double click on the My Computer icon and right click on the C drive and go to properties. Go to tools and Error checking. Click check now and auto fix errors. Reboot. Scan disk or error checking runs on startup in XP. After you have cleaned the spyware out of your computer and run error checking you can run Disk Cleanup and defragmenter. Click on Start>all programs>accessories>system tools and defragmenter, let it run.

There is a glitch in the disk cleanup program that makes it run way too slow. If you feel comfortable with editing the registry, I will tell you how to fix it.

************ Back up your Registry************

Disclaimer... Proceed at your own risk>>>>>

Click on Start>run>and type "regedit" and hit enter. Now your into the registry.
    Here we go... 1) click on the + next to Hkey_Local_Machine>Software>Microsoft>Windows>Current Version>Explorer>VolumeCaches and click on Compress Old Files.

Now go to the default entry on the right and right click and go to modify. Put a - in front of the value to make it look like this
    -{B50F5260-0C21-11D2-AB56-00A0C9082678} click OK and close out.

Now you can go to the above location for Disk Defrag and above that there will be Disk Cleanup. With the modified registry entry , it will only take a few seconds to clean up your drive.

Here is the sequence to do the clean up.

*** Turn off system restore***

1)Fix the registry glitch

2)dowload the spyware programs and update

2a)reset privacy and cache settings in the IE tools internet options tab.

3)run spyware programs and clean your system... use the help tab in the programs for instructions

4)run Error Checking... reboot

5)run defrag

Your machine should now run faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.