1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT.. Computer Help Question... ????????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Charles L. Schmidt, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

I'm not at home at the moment and my lap top doesn't have the iTunes software. But if I remember correctly it's under one of the menu options. You save the movie to your hard drive, then use a menu option to load it to the iPod.

Someone here will be able to help I'm sure, but when I get home I'll check for you Jerry.

Chuck

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Many DVD's have copy protection built in. I have had good luck with a program called DVD Shrink. It creates an image on the hard drive, which I then use to make copies from.

You can Download movies for money, and probably have no problem transferring them to the player with the software and USB connection. Or you can go illegal and go out on the net downloading for free.

For that information go to www.slyck.com, all the download client software is discussed there.

But If you have the DVD's already, I would try DVD Shrink.

HM

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Most DVD's will run on your computer, but because of an encrytion code in the DVD, it will prevent it from getting copied, or written to your harddrive.

Email me and I'll "explain", why they are encoded. I gave the "explanation" to my wife and now she "fully understands".

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Does your computer have a "DVD" drive? A DVD will not work in a CD-Rom drive.

Doug

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I would guess any of the name brands would good. You do want to get an external drive that not only reads but also writes both DVD's and CD's.

What kind of computer do you have and how old, and how much memory. It could be possible to remove your CD drive and install the new driver into the same slot. That way there no more crap sitting on the desk.

I've got a dell with extra memory on my pc at the shop, but only has a CD-Rom. I typed in my computer model & DVD drive, into the Ebay search and found I could get a drive that will fit right into the box, replacing the CD--Rom. Currently I can only right to a floppy.

Here at the house, the new PC (one yr old) has the bells and whistles.

Taking a quick search at ebay came up with externals for about $30-$60. The internals were about the same.

Doug

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

I believe the only way you can do this is to purchase movies off of ITUNES. I understand that Apple is going to make movies available shortly with a deal they have made with Fox. Its very difficult if not impossible to move a DVD movie to Itunes with copy protections being what they are. Wait a few weeks to see with Steve Jobs announces at the Mac Conference. Don't buy anything for your WINDOZ system. You might be better off junking the system and buying a Mac but the key is to either buy the video through Itunes and waiting to see what new service is coming. I suspect Apple is about ready to do to the video industry what it did to the music business.

TB

7. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

FlaLagarto:

Ok I think you said you don't have a DVD burner on the computer ok just went thru the post sort of fast but I have a program that will convert DVD's to a Ipod,PDA,Cell phone and other stuff it also will remove the copy right stuff off like GUN DR was talking about.

Anyway I will email you with the name of the free program.

Foghorn220

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

With the proper drive in your computer, you can use a program like Sly Soft's "Any DVD" to allow another program to encode the DVD video into a usable format for the Ipod. It would probably be considered illegal to do so, because you might be circumventing the digital rights management or copy protection built into the disc. Sly Soft also has a program (clone DVD Mobile) that will convert the video into a usable format for the Ipod or almost any other portable device, including some cell phones. One could argue that to convert a DVD into a usable format for another device or to make a back up copy of the disc should be allowed under the "fair use" description, but to circumvent copy protection to do so could be illegal. That would assume you actually own the disc. It is still not illegal to do this in some countries, but the US is apparently not one of them. DVD Shrink has not been updated in quite some time, and will not work on some of the newer copy protection formats. Sly Soft appears to update their software frequently. They offer a handful of programs that you can buy in a combination for a discount. I believe that they can be downloaded and used for a 21 day trial period. I don't know if they have limited capabilities in trial format. These programs do not work with Mac or Linux, so you'd be stuck with Window$.

This is just one solution and there are many others. Unfortunately, it requires one to pay for the software in order to do this. You could also purchase the files for download in a usable format as well, but it would go against my grain to pay for a movie twice. I believe that if you purchased the DVD, you should be allowed to watch the video in whatever player you wish, even if you have to convert the video to a different format. Piracy is another matter and I would not support copying or converting a DVD that you do not own.

You can find a decent external DVD Drive/Burner for less than $100. Try looking at www.newegg.com and finding an external unit. If you have IEE1394 (firewire) I'd look for a unit to use with that type of network. If you have only USB, be sure your system has USB2, or it will be slow as molasses and you won't be able to burn a DVD. To solve the problem, you can install a USB2 or Firewire card into your system. Newegg has them as well. They can go for less than $20 and some will have both types of connections.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.