1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT--Computer Help Please

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WWB, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWB

WWB Member

Aug 6, 2007
    HELP!!!!!! A while back I had a virus in the PC bad enough that they cleaned the disc and reformatted it---in that whole mess I lost Microsoft Word. I did download sun system's freebie but it will not open my saved micro soft documents--why they didn't disappear I don't know--and now I cannot find it on the web to download it for free. Plus someone said when I bought the PC it should have came with a disc---can't find the )^(&^)*&*^%%* thing! Moved twice since I got it and it is probably somewhere but---??
    Will a disc from my daughter's identical machine work?
    Thanks for any help &/or advice guys.
    Most importantly--Merry Christmas everyone.
  2. brian5003

brian5003 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
  3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2006
    S-E PA

Open office is a good choice - very similar to MS Office, but free.

To open documents using the Sun program try this. Start the word processing program. In the tool bar at the top click on 'open - file' and then direct the program to the specific document you want to see.

This tells the machine to 'translate' the document from one format to another.

If you use the disk from your daughter's machine you MAY have a password issue (depends on several factors).
  4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    OpenOffice should be able to open the documents if they were created in Micro$oft Word. IF they were created using Micro$oft "Works", it's quite possible that OpenOffice will not be able to open them. If the file extensions are ".doc" or ".rtf" then they should work. If you save them in OpenOffice and want to open them with Word in the future, be sure to save them as a ".doc" type file. OpenOffice will save them as a ".odf" by default. Word will not be able to open an "odf" file.

As far as using the disk is concerned, it would work, but you would need the old "key" or registration number that you would have a license for. That would probably make it legal to install it. If they did a "re-install" of Windows, your product key may still be recoverable, depending on a host of factors. There are some tools that can retrieve the keys from Windows and other such products. Try Google or here's a free one: http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.