1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Computer Experts I Need Help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BRGII, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I have an emachine with XP installed that has a program called GO BACK (recovery software) that stops my computer from completely installing windows. I can't seem to circumvent this software even in the SAFE MODE. I have tried to find the support people for the software but to no avail. It was originally release by roxio. Would appreciate any assistance. Thanks Richard

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

Go to start then run and run msconfig. In the startup section uncheck goback. The program will not start. Another idea would be to delete the program. XP has system restore built in. I have deleted the Goback program for people that had similar problems.

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have found it is impossible to remove GoBack without a repartition and reformat. The problem is that GoBack loads before Windows does and once it gets corrupted you cannot get into Windows.

You need to use your windows disk, booting from your CD drive, to repartition and reformat your hard drive.

4. willing

willing Member

I used Goback for years and loved it. Unfortunately it does not work with
    Vista. I have tried system restore many many times and except for a very few times it comes back with restore didn't work bwecause of an error.Great help.
    Right now I suddenly can't get my CDDVD reader to work. Anyone know how to turn one on? It doesn't show up as a device connected to the computer.
    Bill
    PS: GoBack is owned by Norton.

5. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Just a note to tell you that you can circumvent goback software with the key strokes control-alt-G and hold at boot up. Then you can uninstall the software. I did it and it worked great.

6. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Just a note to tell you that you can circumvent goback software with the key strokes control-alt-G and hold at boot up. Then you can uninstall the software. I did it and it worked great.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Flinch ?

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Willing, there could be several problems, including a bad CD/DVD player. But unplug your computer and open up the case and make sure that the device cables (the flat grey and the four-wire power cable) are firmly connected, then reboot. If that doesn't work, then:

Check the START\SETTINGS\CONTROL PANEL\SYSTEM\Performance and see if the File System and Virtual Memory are set to 32-bit. If the performance is not 32-bit you may have a boot-sector virus.

If the performance is 32-bit, boot into Safe Mode and go to START\SETTINGS\CONTROL PANEL\SYSTEM\Device Manager. If there is an "Other Devices" category, double click it and remove all devices listed underneath this category. If there is a "CD-ROM" category, open it and remove any devices listed there, too. Click "Close", restart the computer, and allow Windows to reinstall any necessary drivers.

Quackshot and JerBear, who are regular participants on this forum, are the experts. Hopefully one of them will drop in and offer some guidance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.