1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/Computer battery

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Need advice from the computer experts on this site. I recently purchased a new battery for my Mac laptop. (OSX 10.4) I can't seem to get the battery fully charged. It will charge to 82% and that's as far as it will charge. I even ran the battery down to 12% and recharged. Still only went to 82%. Will this improve after a number of charges or?? Thanks in advance for any help you might give me. Ed

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jeeese....guess Macs at not perfect after all!

:)

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Contact the store you bought it from, it may be defective and you need to replace it.

Jerbear

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

open dashboard and add the widget istat nano or istat pro.

It has a battery monitor in it and will tell you the health of your battery.

You do not say how old your Mac is, but if you are running 10.4 I am assuming you have a machine that is a few years old. If so, you may be seeing a reflection of the battery aging.

You can reset the PMU (power management unit), but it may be complex (depends on the machine you have).

If you charge the machine overnight, then run it on the battery until it puts itself to sleep it will give a better idea of the battery life of the machine (istat will give this info).

5. esoxhunter

HSLDS: The "Dashboard" only shows information such as Time-Date-Weather-Calculator. I got into the hardware menu and under "power" I get the battery info. It shows the amps, (-1142) voltage, (12192), full charge capacity, (4149) and the remaining capacity (3405). The machine is 3 years old. (approximately). I can't seem to find the istat that you mentioned. Thanks. Ed

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Ed,

If you open widgets and look in the lower left corner there will be a 'plus' sign - click that. It will enlarge the widget bar.
    You will see a button for 'manage widgets' - click this - a new window will open - at the bottom will be a button for 'more widgets' - click this - it will direct you to your web browser, which will give a widget home page - click on the 'categories' button at the top of the page - this will direct you to a page where a search window appears in the upper right corner (NOT the one at the top of your browser) - type 'istat' into the search window - then just follow the on screen directions.

I suspect that a three year old battery is giving up the ghost on you...

You can buy a new one from Apple, or an after market one (This site often has really good prices - http://www.sales-battery.com/).

David D

7. esoxhunter

David: The computer is 3 years old. The battery is supposedly new; as I just purchased it last week. This new battery is the one that won't fully charge. I will try to figure out how to find the "widgets" . Thanks. Ed

8. esoxhunter

David: I think you taught me how to make this widget thing work. It states that my battery is 94% healthy. So that sounds good at least. Thanks a lot for your wisdom. I'll keep you updated as to my progress. I might need your valuable assistance again. Thanks. Ed

9. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Ed,

What model machine is it??

You might want to re-set the PMU.

I suspect that this may be the problem - it thinks it still has the old battery on-board - resetting the PMU will tell the machine the battery is 'new' and I suspect this will 'cure' the charge problem.

If you can tell me exactly which machine you have I can tell you how to re-set the PMU.

David D

10. esoxhunter

David: It's an iBook G4 12" laptop. I just recharged and this time it got up to 84% before it quit charging. (Before it only charged up to 82%) I probably could "live" with it charging to 84%. I just kind of wondered why it wouldn't complete the charge to 100%.

11. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Did you calibrate your battery when you made the first install? If not you will have a chance to get incorrect readings. Since you did not list the particular model of your system, you will have to see the correct procedure for your model.

From the Apple web site listed above:

Summary

You can calibrate your iBook, PowerBook, MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro computer's lithium ion battery for best performance.

The battery has an internal microprocessor that provides an estimate of the amount of energy in the battery as it charges and discharges. The battery needs to be recalibrated from time to time to keep the onscreen battery time and percent display accurate. With all iBooks and PowerBook G4 computers, except the aluminum PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), you should perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then every few months thereafter.

Much more on the web page listed

12. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Since, in a later posting you listed the model, here is the procedure for the IBook. (You should still take a look at the web page.)

iBooks and PowerBook G4s other than the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD)

1. Plug the power adapter in and fully charge your computer's battery until the battery indicator lights turn off and the adapter plug light goes from amber to green, which indicates that the battery is fully charged.
    2. Disconnect the power adapter and use your iBook or PowerBook. When your battery gets low, you will see the low battery warning dialog on the screen. Continue to use your computer until it goes to sleep. At that point the battery has been sufficiently drained for calibration.
    3. Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

You have to fully charge and then discharge your battery only once to calibrate it. After that, you can connect and disconnect the power adapter when the battery is at any charge level.

Tip: When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually holds a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced to shut down. At this point, any open files could be lost. Therefore, it is important that you find an electrical outlet and connect the adapter before the forced shutdown occurs.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Is the battery a genuine Apple battery, or a knock off. Some of the aftermarket batteries are not quite right. The genuine Apple is probably a better performer, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. If it continues to display an incorrect reading after the calibration, return it for a replacement.

Also, be sure to check if the battery is affected by the recall. The recall happened a couple of years ago, but it IS possible to get old stock. The original may be covered as well. The recall was supposedly due to a fire hazard and not a performance issue.

https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/main?id=qp

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05179.html

http://news.cnet.com/Apple-recalls-more-G4-batteries/2100-1005_3-5715002.html

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06245.html

You could also contact TBaber. He seems to know all about the Macs and he would be more than happy to tell you that it's a figment of your imagination.
    acs don't have problems. His usual advice would be to junk it and get a Mac, but it seems like you did that already. :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist. If you read the thread, you'd understand.)

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Ed,

Pyrdek is correct on the battery calibration cycle - I alluded to this in an earlier post.

I suspect you MAY need to reset the PMU (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431#faq10). Try the battery re-calibration first.

Turns out one of the same machines I have is the same one.

Check the amount of memory in the machine - It maxes-out at 1.25 Gb (possibly 1.5 - depends on processor speed), if you get it to that point you will realize a nice boost in performance.

David

15. esoxhunter

Thanks Guys. I will try to re-calibrate. I appreciate all the input and wish I had the computer knowledge you possess. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.