1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-computer assistance needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find out how to open .tif files (maps) that I download via hyperlink. The current browser plug in that did this was quicktime, and gave a blotchy incomplete image.

My only solution was to copy the URL and paste it into my .tif reader which is Brava, then use the reader to go get the file. I have to print the file as I can't seem to get the reader to save it as a .tif.

This seems to me to be the long way around the block. If anyone knows how to get Brava to open the file or has another plug in that can open/save .tif's (preferably zipped)I would appreciate the info.

Thanks,

HM

2. jmas

jmas TS Member

If you are using XP for an operating system you should be able to double click on the file name an it will open in "Microsoft Imaging" software.

3. deking00

deking00 Member

jmas is right about Microsoft Imaging being able to read tif files but Quicktime is probable your default for reading a tif file, so double clicking it will not work. After you download the file right click on the file name and select "Open With", then select Choose Program..., then select Windows and Fax Viewer and click the check box Always use the selected program to open this type of file. Click OK and then the double click will work in the future. If you are not using XP go to the site above and look for a freeware program that will read and save tif files. David

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

HM, check the above site, I use it for photos and works great for free.

Your Tif/Tiff file will open.

Jerbear

5. halfmile

That would be good but it doesn't work that way. When I click on the "download this file " hyperlink it doesn't go anywhere I can handle it. It opens in Internet Explorer with Quicktime, producing a useless image.

The salvation is that there is a URL in IE's address bar that I can copy/paste to an "Open" box in my reader. then I can see it and print it, but still can't save it to my folder.

As long as these are available I guess I'll just have to print them and put them in a binder.

HM

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

I have used Brava! at work, we are currently going through an ECM selection process so I wanted a vendor neutral viewer. It is pretty slick, I think you may have a file association problem in IE. I'm running build 3.0.0.6

Found this when I was troubleshooting one of the PC's maybe it will work for you.

Launch the Brava! Reader application from the Desktop icon or Program Menu option.
    Within the application choose Options on the top menu bar.
    Select Set As Default Viewer.
    Select the Display the Brava! Reader Inside Internet Explorer tab.
    Expand the Imaging Format(s) folder and place check marks in both the .tif and .tiff boxes.
    This sets Brava! Viewer as your default TIFF image viewer within Internet Explorer.
    Note: Beginning in Brava Viewer version 2.5.0.4 our experience has been that this feature does not work on all PC's. We have not yet determined why it works on some PC's and not others.
    If you want the Brava! Viewer as your default TIFF viewer outside of Internet Explorer then complete the same task under the Open with Brava! Reader tab.
    Click OK to save your settings.
    Close all open Internet Explorer sessions and reopen Internet Explorer to get the updated settings.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

Didn’t see your second post, if the settings don’t change it for you in Brava! and that POS application QT wants to remain your default viewer then you have to change the MIME association.

From the Start menu, select "Control Panel".
    [Windows XP] If it says "Pick a category", click "Switch to Classic View" at the upper-left.
    Double-click the "QuickTime" icon.
    Click the "Browser" tab, or from the drop-down list, select "Browser Plug-in". Click the "MIME Settings" button.
    Double-click the "Images ..." item to expand it.
    If the "TIFF ..." or "image/tiff" item is checked, uncheck it.
    Press the "OK" button, then close the "QuickTime Settings" window.

8. halfmile

Well, there. that was Jim Dandy Peachy Keen Perfect! cold Iron, right on the money.

Works great. The "Save" option is grayed out, but I can get the map up and use Brava to read and expand, and print it. This saves me the redundancy of using 2 diferent procedures.I print the top half on one sheet and the bottom on another.

I guess as long as google keeps the maps available I won't care if I can save it or not. (but If I can it would be nice to know.)

Thanks a heap.

Jerbear, the Irfan looks useful for a couple things, after this project I might play with it.

HM

9. halfmile

And the rest of the puzzle solves itself. Now that the damn thing works right, an extra button appears in the taskbar that says "download original". It lets me save the .tif file to my "maps" folder. (This button does not appear if I open files already on my computer.)

Score another victory for TS.com.

HM

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You can, if using a Windows machine click START, PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, and then run MS PAINT.

You should be able to open TIF files in Microsoft Paint.

Whiz

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jerbear gave some good advice!

Go to http://www.irfanview.net/ and download Irfanview and all it's plug ins!

It will open just about any file. Also good for MP3s and videos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.