1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ computer antivirus question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigbore613, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Opinions wanted on what's best in antivirus protection. My amcafee is about to expire and I want something different. Thanks, Jeff

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

Anything except norton if using windows vista

bill

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

running windows XP. Thanks, Jeff

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The free AVG works fine for me. I get a CA version of it from Roadrunner, but it's the same basic thing. There is a free Aonealarm firewall available too.
    No money spent, more for shooting.

If you need a scan to check your computer, use Housecall from Trendmicro.com.

HM

5. deking00

deking00 Member

I like the home version of Avast. It is free for home users.

6. swamp rat

swamp rat TS Member

I have used Norton and others in the past but at this time I am using Trend Micro's PC-cillin. I have it on 3 computers and have been using it since 2006 with no problems so far.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I like Sophos for both XP and Vista. I liked Kaspershy for XP, but it isn't worth spit on Vista. Like Jerry B., you can keep MacAfee, even for free. I intensely dislike what Norton does to your computer and the amount of resources it hogs; however, I'll stop short of saying it's worthless. If you've got the horsepower it needs, it is a good AV.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I got more than a little pissed off when McAfee pulled that automatic renewal stunt on me when they had my credit card number, getting rid of them was like pulling teeth but worth it. I have had no problems with the freebie AVG. When my brother-in-law's computer bogged down to an absolute crawl, he paid to have some techie un-install Norton and put on AVG.

9. starship

starship TS Member

Another vote for AVG. The free version is okay but doesn't check for worms and something else (not sure what). If you buy the full version it is about $69 for two years. You can add another computer for $25.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A third vote for AVG. I'm impressed by how well it works. Simple to install, it updates automatically and run automatically. And the basic version is free.

At work we use McAfee, remote administered by servers.

11. unioncracker

unioncracker Member

I repair computers for a living. In my business I spend a great deal of time dealing with virus/spyware issues. Some of the above mentioned programs work OK, as far as being free. You really get what you pay for when it comes to these issues. I have tried them all and find issues with most of them. I have been selling Computer Associates for about three years with little issues. They are also real good about updating. I sell a virus/spyware version with three licenses good for one year at 49.95.

Buddy

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I build and sells systems. I used to require buyers to use PC-cillin by Trend Micro, but now I require AVG Professional. You can get it cheap on eBay and I do sell it for a 20% discount.

I recommend the two year version.

WW

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I run Windows XP and Norton’s. Since I updated to the current version of Norton’s, my computer runs very slow. Norton’s is a pain because there is no way to contact them.

I plan to switch to Trend or something other than McAfee and Norton's later this year.

14. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I do have some documentation somewhere for the Registry level dumping of Norton. It is a real, genuine PITA. I received it from them a while back.

I am a reseller, and Norton took 3 weeks to respond to a problem one of my business customer's was having on their network with Norton. I could not wait that long, so I did the dump Norton scenario, and installed AVG Pro Internet Security.

When I got the reply, I told them they just lost all my business for taking so long to respond. Not sure that matters much to them.

AVG is a Czechoslovakian product, incidentally.

Whiz

15. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I'll be the odd one and suggest Comodo AV Pro...highest-rated personal AV by independent tests several years running.

Morgan

16. missemucho

missemucho Member

I use and recommend PCcillin by Trend--go to www.pricewatch.com and you find it for under $20.
    John

17. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

AVG or Trend Micro. Todd

18. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

All I have used is Norton, I have never had a problem, the 2006 version was slow. Still OK by me. glenn

19. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

Another vote for Avast. Free and have not had a problem in 2 years.......Roger

20. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

Can't beat ESET Smart Security..

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

psfive