1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Company Vacation

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DAS, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAS

DAS Member

What is or was the policy your company used to determine employee vacation. Could you carry over days into the next year? Did you receive any other paid time off?

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I am now retired but I worked both in the public sector and the private sector and here is an observation on vacation carryover in each.

In the private sector, the companies I worked for either paid you for unused vacation at year end or allowed you to carry forward your vacation for one quarter at which time you were paid for unused vacation. Additionally, their health care plans would pay one week of salary in full for every year of service as disability pay. After that, person would receive a portion of their pay as long term disability for a period of time.

In the private sector, if vacation is allowed to be carried over, it is common for the vacation to accounted for as an accrued liability and expensed in the year earned. For this reason, most private sector companies require vacation to be taken and not accrued.

In the public sector, vacation (and sick days) are typically carried forward and sometimes, after many years, turned into earned service for pension purposes. Also, public sector firms often use accrued vacation and sick time as a form of long term disability.

I once saw a public sector employee who was about to be terminated (he was in a patronage position) go on sick leave before the newly elected official took office and stay on sick leave for several months so that he could not be fired.

Ed Ward

3. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

Before I retired it was use them or lose them. I made it a point not to lose any. At one time you could carry over. Then at the end of one year they said we will pay you for any unsed vacation time and after that use them or lose them. Company wide the unpaid vacation time was adding up to hundreds of thousands of dollars liability.

4. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

We can accrue (sp?) up to 240 hrs of vacation. You either use or lose it at that point. The rate at which you earn the vacation is based on your years of service. We also earn sick leave at the rate of 8hrs/mo., regardless of years of service. We can accrue a total of 960 hrs of sick leave at that rate. Once you exceed 960 hrs, you earn it at half that rate and it goes into a seperate account not to be used until the original 960 hrs are completely depleted. Upon retirement 75% of the original sick leave (max of 960 hrs) is converted to a cash value and is placed in an interest earning account to be used for health insurance coverage at the group rate.

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Private Sector - We had to use all vacation by December 31st. Otherwise, we lost it. Occasionally, you might carry over a day or so if something came up and you couldn't take it. That was between you and the boss.

Dennis

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Why the hell would anybody lose a vacation day? I take EVERY vacation, sick and personal day I'm entitled to.

Trust me, that place will be there LONG after you're gone.

7. 6878mm

6878mm Member

Readind these posts, You Yanks have shocking working conditions, you should be asahmed of yourselves, PISSWEAK

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

27 working days vacation, they can be carried over to the next year. 5 personal days, blood days(1 for each pint donated), terminal leave days(5 for each year of service), 26 sick days a year(carried over if not used not to exceed 360. Sometimes unions can be a wonderful thing. HMB

9. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

No vacation, no sick leave, no personal days, and no paid holidays. When your a farmer you have a job not a position. You guys are on the dole. BRGII

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.