1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Combination Sporting/Skeet guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I have a dedicated trap gun. I am looking for a gun to be able to shoot SC and skeet. I've run across two O/U guns with subgauge tubes, which would allow some 4-gauge skeet shooting.

Both are Brownings: a 425 Sporting and a GTI. These guns seem to be slightly underpriced, or at least inexpensive. The 425 is now two generations removed from the current 625. The GTI seems to have been one of those models that just didn't catch on.

Anyone have experience with either of these, and/or have opinions?

Danny

2. lurker

lurker TS Member

I think they are all basically the same gun. Low, flat ribs. I have an ultra sporter that appears to have the same works as a GTI and the 425. My old man flat wore out a GTI without any problems. Never even replaced a spring in it. I haven't looked at the 625, but the 525's were again, appeared the same. I think the 325's didn't have the vents between the barrels. About the only thing I can see different. Schnabel forearms on all but the GTI, and I like the bigger forearm better.

What is the price on the GTI?

3. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

I would say the 425....Thats what I shoot for Clays,and if I ever shoot 12g skeet!! (As you know,I'm hooked on subguage with the Kgun)..will let you know my
    next trip down. Paul in Virginia

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Either of those is excellent...the GTI is one of the best and most underated Brownings out there...the 425's barrels are lighter if you plan on more skeet

5. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Both guns can be had for around $2,250 complete with subgauge tubes and case.

I have fitting issues which will probably require adjustable comb installation.

Danny

6. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I dunno...why bother with a seperate gun?? I have a Perazzi mx-2000/10RS combo (35 inch unsingle, 29.5 inch OU) that I had Kolar put sub-gauge tubes in. I shoot every game with it.

In fact, on our league team this spring, 3 of us shoot combo trap guns for all the games - a browning combo, a K-80 and my P gun. We finished - in a 65 man league - first, second and fourth. Another shooter i know has tubed his trap gun and carries A or better averages across all the skeet games AND all the trap games.

I know your trap gun will shoot high, but a lot of skeet shooters are coming around to the fact that a gun they don't have to cover the target with is easier to shoot.

And tubing an existing gun is cheaper. Send your trap OU to Rags at kolar and have him do you up right.

jeff

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'm leaning toward Jeff's point - my skeet, sporting, and 5 stand gun is a M.32 Krieghoff Trap with choke tubes. Misses in any of the disciplines is not due to the name on the gun. If you're going to begin registering skeet with seriosity you'll have to have the small gauge tubes fitted but that's likely less expensive than another dedicated gun. If you just plain want another gun, that's a really good reason to have one too.....Bob Dodd

8. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Yes. I'm shooting one gun for both. I have a 30" three barrel set all choked to handle both games. I didn't go the tube route. Their less expensive but more to maintain and I don't care for the change in balance and weight of the gun with the diffeent tubes. Dave T.

9. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Before we go too far down the one gun route, for my benefit:

My trap gun is a Beretta 391 with Moneymaker Rib and a trap stock.

But, as part of this discussion, here's something I've noticed. Many skeet shooters are shooting parallel comb guns. At one of the bigger shoots last year, held at our club, I noticed several of the better shooters shooting trap semis for 12 gauge skeet.

So, wouldn't a parallel comb gun, like a Browning XS Skeet, with adjustable comb, be a very good gun for all games? Adjustable comb for different POIs for different games, and the ease of repeatable mount with parallel comb?

Danny

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

No one I personally know adjusts the POI between skeet and trap. I shoot the same settings for skeet of all gauges, 5 stand, singles, doubles, wobble and all the way back to the 27 yard line. Just change chokes and shells and go....

We had John Shima up for a skeet clinic. He only took a cursory look at the trap guns fit to the guys that were shooting them - and stated that every trapshooter he sees already has a gun that fits, and that one of these days the skeet shooters will catch on to shooting a higher POI instead of a flat shooter.

Basically, at the distance you shoot skeet at, the high POI has almost no effect. I move back and forth effortlessly - I sure don't spend any time thinking about "wow. this is my trap gun. high POI, shoot low." I don't shoot much registered skeet, but shoot 4 rounds weekly in league - mod skeet and regular skeet. Don't have much trouble keeping an average in the low 90s.

Your original post indicated you had found 2 O/Us - so I'm thinking you're wanting to head that way. you already know that you're going to need an O/U to shoot decent/competitive skeet. Why not buy one O/U trapgun and tube that and be done with it?

I'm sure you can find any number of decent Beretta or Browning combos that would give you a top or an unsingle barrel and a nice O/U barrel that can be tubed, and within a reasonable price window. Heck, here in anchorage about a month ago we had the deal of a lifetime: An MX-8 combo set that was tubed with Kolar AAAs and came with an Americase and an extra trigger. $4,500 would have taken it all...

Just my opinion...worth exactly what you're paying for it...

jeff

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Oh, and i'll add - Dave T has a good point. I had a 3 barrel set before I went and tubed my trapgun. Sold the set and bought the tubes and had money left over for shells.

I do like the added weight on the small bores - the tubes add about 10 ounces. I find i swing a lot smoother with the heavier gun.

12. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

jeff,

Here is the pattern at 13 yards with my Beretta 303 trap, which shoots just about like my current 391 trap. With leads on skeet stations 3-5 in the 3 to 3.5 foot range, I don't think I want to introduce another foot to 1.5 feet of vertical lead, also. Not for me, anyway. I shoot better skeet when I am on plane, and only have to be concerned with forward allowance.

Also, with that much vertical allowance, dropping birds and battues in sporting clays are more difficult.

If I were going to shoot one gun only, I'd want to be able to adjust POI to about 55/45 or 60/40 for skeet and clays, and up to 70/30 or 80/20 for trap.

YMMV.

Danny

<a href="http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z16/dmarbell/Trapshooters/?action=view┬Ąt=30313yards.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

13. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

I have a Browning Sporting Special Golden Clays 28" 14 1/4 LOP, invector plus screw in chokes, adjustable comb, dead mule, kick ezz pad, and Kolar AAA LW sporting clays chokes (screw on) in the three subgages. All in an Americase. Have box and all factory accessories. Gun in excellent condition. Gun shoots great for both games. I am selling because I moved into a K gun.Let me know if you are interested and I will send pictures and price. Billy Gross

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A 30" GTI Signature Sporter I recently acquired has a POI of 80/20 with both barrels.

Just the way I like them to shoot for Bunker, Skeet and other games. I like Trap guns to shoot around 100% high. The GTI IS horribly underrated. The one I bought is basically new, and will get the full obsessive/compulsive service from an old gunsmith (me).

15. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Shooting Coach,

I sent you a PM.

Danny

16. chuckles

chuckles Member

Just buy another barrel for your 391 preferably a 28"...

Beware of the man with one gun.....

regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

john shima on high rib skeet guns