1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Colt Gold Cup Series 70

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike Battista, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A Colt Gold Cup Series 70 .45 walked into the Silver Dollar yesterday looking for a new home. Has the original box and paperwork with it. It also has an ambitexterous safety (factory). Owner says that Colt made up a limited run of these for left handed shooters. Colt is closed until 01/02/08. Looking for any information on it.
    Mike Battista

2. Whitelightnin

Whitelightnin TS Member

In 95% condition, it should retail between $900 & $1000. The 70 series don't have the "firing pin lock" safety which makes it easier to get a good trigger pull however, the gold cups generally have very good trigger pulls out of the box. The gold cups have a slightly wider trigger than the government models. That makes them feel lighter anyway. The adjustable sights are good. If you plan on shooting it a whole lot, you might want to have the rear sight roll pin changet to a solid pin. Accuracy is generally very good. Sweet shooting guns.
    James

3. K-80 GUY

K-80 GUY TS Member

Mike,

Is it a true lefty with the ejection port on the left side????

Jon.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As one who performed warranty service and repair for the old Colt's Patent Firearms Co, I never saw or heard of such a creature. Check the box for special order info. If none, owner fibbed or was fibbed to.

BTW, I worked on a BUNCH of 1911's, including Gold Cups.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

and the slide says COLT?

never saw one

never heard of one

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I bet he means that it has an ambidextrous safety. John

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have a 70 series Gold Cup, bought new about '80, and am left handed, I don't recall Colt offering one. Colt was not very quick to offer the ambi safety, I would guess it's been added after purchase.

8. Doctor_Chicago

Doctor_Chicago Member

As far as I have ever known no amb. safety on Gold Cup Series 70 - box would have to state it - if it did - sounds after market custom to me.

9. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Thanks to all who answered. The owner maintains that he ordered the gun from Colt in that configuration. I have photos of the Colt but am waiting to talk to Colt. Colt is closed until 01/02/08.
    Mike Battista

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Mike

The box would state "ambi safety" on the special order tag. I kept up with service bulletins and such, but never saw any thing on service or replacement, grips, etc.

The guy is flat out spreading Bravo Sierra. A good '70 series Gold Cup is still worth a lot of $$. Does it have "BB" in the serial no? That indicates the '80 series barrel bushing. If so, it IS a rarity.

What was said about the rear sight roll pin is all too true. It is a wadcutter gun. Hardball will kill it. The slide is lighter than the Govt' Model.

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Sounds a bit high in price to me. I have an 80 series that works just fine after trigger tuning, throating, and solid front bushing by a competent gunsmith. Love to shoot that gun. See Wilson's information about alleged advantages of the 70 series. Perhaps overrated, and the 80 series won't shoot you in the butt if you drop it on a cocked hammer!!! (Well it is safer, and we like safe?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.