1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - College World Series

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by timb99, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

As a huge baseball fan and with the announcements today of the field of 64 for the Men's College Baseball World Series, I get more excited about this field of 64 than I do for March Madness basketball.

As a kid growing up in Omaha, our family would regularly go to a bunch of games each year. My grandfather always bought a bunch of tickets to the series. I still try go to drive up for a game or two, now and again. My memories of those games is great.

I saw Dave Winfield pitch for Minnesota. Watched Robin Ventura hit for OK State. Saw Mark Kotsay hit a ball to center field that hit about halfway up the "batters eye." Too many to mention.

As a 12-year-old, I got to play a little league championship game at Rosenblatt Stadium. What a memory. I pitched, caught, and played 2nd base in that game. My Dad (my hero) even took time off work to come and watch me play. He seldom took time off work. I'll never forget that.

I'm a little nostalgic about this being the last College World Series at Rosenblatt Stadium. The series will still be in Omaha, at a brand new ball park. But it just won't be the same.

Looking forward to it again.

2. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Thinking on comming down the first Saturday if your going to be around drop a Pm we can meet up.

3. tachyon

tachyon Member

I remember Winfield pitching in the CWS. 29 k's in 17 innings. He also batted around .500 for the series.

My first CWS was in 1955. Back then regionals were actually from a region. Teams from the Northeast with records of 14-5 competed with teams from the southwest with 40 games under their belts. Colgate, Northern Colorado, Oklahoma A&M (from the Missouri Valley), Western Michigan etc. came to Omaha. I caught a foul ball but in those days you had to throw it back. They did give you a pair of free general admission tickets for the next day.

In 1962, Bob Garibaldi almost pitched Santa Clara to the championship by himself. They went 10 innings to oust Texas in the semi's. The final game against Michigan went 15 innings. After pitching 10 innings the day before he came in relief in the 7th or 8th inning of the final game and pitched 6 or 7 more innings. He pitched a total of 27 innings in 4 or 5 days. I remember getting home very late, mom being a little mad until she read the paper the next morning and saw how late the game went.

In 1965 I watched Steve Arlin pitch a complete 15 inning 1-0 victory over Washington State in the semi's. Another late night, but mom was listening to Jack Payne on the radio so she knew we would be late getting home.

Wood bats. The actual sound of a ball hitting a bat.

The 70's were all USC. College/jobs/marriage/kids made the CWS a pick a night to go to a game instead of going to almost every game.

Then came LSU. Dingerville, you had to see it to believe it. Nothing like the paved, official, legal, camping pads of today. Mud when it rained, appropriated electrical service (or generators), garden hoses for water, great food and fun. LSU fans defined fanatical. They also set a new standard for how to party.

Tickets for this years CWS are already scarce. Everyone wants to be at Municipal Stadium/Rosenblatt for the final out.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Amen Bruce.

I'd love to see the end of aluminum bats.

It'll be sad to see the end of an era at Rosenblatt.

5. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

There are already T shirts out that feature "The Last Bat at the Blatt" Can you imagine the (un)lucky player who takes the last swing in Rosenblatt Stadium? Go DUCKS

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I still have family in Omaha. They say tickets are going to be hard to come by.

682 beretta - It <i>could</i> be a good last at-bat. Think walk-off base hit or home run.

7. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I really hope the new place it as good as the old one....seeing the Collage World Series is on my bucket list. I hope to make it out there one day.

8. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

timb99
    I hope it is a game winner. A couple shots I remember is in 87 or 88 Stanfords Paul Carey belted a Ben McDonald fastball out of the park and completely deflated LSU. And that was when the fence was WAY back. A few years later LSU (Warren Morris?) hit a game winning homer in the ninth to beat mighty Miami.
    I cant wait!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.