1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT--coin collectors

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trap4, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap4

Trap4 Member

My mother in law passed away April 28th and going thru her mementoes was the wallet that her husband carried, I felt something hard in it and upon checking it out there was a silver dollar dated 1884, By the way he was born in 1906 and her in 1913, would anyone know the possible value of the silver dollar? It is in very good condition. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Trap-4--

2. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

It's a 'Morgan' dollar. Check the coin for a 'mint mark'. It's over the 'D' and the 'O' of the word 'DOLLAR'. 1884's were minted in San Francisco (S), Carson City (CC), New Orleans (O) and no mint mark means Philadelphia. When placing a value on coins, condition is everything (just like guns). Scarcity drives up the value as well. The 1884-CC and the 1884-S Morgan dollars are worth more than the others (in like condition) because there were less minted. Placing a value on old coins, especially rare ones, is best left to the experts, but in excellent condition, an 1884 could be worth anywhere from $75 to over $450. Don't take this as gospel. Get it appraised.

My guess is it was in the wallet as a good luck charm. Good luck.

LA

3. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Porcupine, thanks much for the reply.

Trap-4

4. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Trappy, you don't have a 1938 Morgan, you have a 1938 "Peace" dollar. And you didn't pay $150, you paid $1.50.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.