1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT cleaning M/C gas tank????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chiefjon, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have undertaken a project of rehabilitating a 1986 Honda Magna 700cc. First step, cleaning the gas tank. I have never seen such a mess. What is the best procedure for cleaning the gunk and rust out of the tank.

Thanks for any advice.

JON

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

if you can get the tank out take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it out. If you do not want to ruin the paint then ask for some of the caustic soap they use and mix it with hot water and flush the inside of the tank. works great. if you put it in the tank the paint will com off. that is the best way to get rid of the gum and varnish FAST motordoc

3. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

http://www.metalrescue.com/home.aspx

Web address above is a video of a tank being cleaned.

I have done rotors with it ..... works great.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you use this stuff you don't have to knock yourself out trying to get it spotless. Give it plenty of time to cure. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

While you waitin on the stuff, read this: copy and paste.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/energy-a-environment/249857-epas-four-gallon-minimum-mandate

5. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Once you get all the gunk out of it you can remove rust from it electrolytically. It's pretty simple to do. A little searching on the web will give you all the info you need. I've posted a link to give you an idea what is involved. This guy is using a PC power supply but most use a low amperage battery charger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.